Tonight on "Field Pass Live!"

Raise membership limit to 150: Passed 15-4*

*For implementation in 2008

OK, so another 15 each go to the top 6--what does that do to everybody else? I would have thought that would have failed 13-6. Bus space??

Listen, overhead isn't that big of a deal--meaning, if you can cover cost of director, facilities, utilities at corps hall, etc with 135, that extra 15 times revenue sure looks nice for the top 6. And feeding another 15 four squares is nothing. This equates to 15 x $2,000 = $30,000 in gas money, unless someone can explain it better.

Am I the only one who thinks this benefits the top 6 most? Not sure why this is happening. Something should be done to keep Magic and Blue Stars on the field, etc. Not send another 90 to the 'Bigs.'

Comments? Explanation?

And remember--I'm a top-6 vet for cryin' out loud!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These "passages" only mean that it'll go to the BoD...I would be surprised i the numbers stay the same for these votes.

After all, the instructor caucus put amplification through to the general BoD a few times before it passed, if I remember right.

I guess the real story will be tomorrow at 11am or so... :laugh:

No - I think he was just comparing that hornline to the sound Phantom has.

Remember, guys--there are a lot of people in DCI who are music majors at the top schools. But there are about 4 times more at those schools who aren't interested in DCI or marching band in the least. Some do MB b/c it is required 3 years (UNT), others do it b/c they like to. MB doesn't have an age-out limit, so someone who did 3 years at DCI and is still in college and really likes to march could still be in MB.

I did three years at UNT MB--great PLAYING band. IU and a few (several?) others would probably fall in the same category. Better? Marching, no--12 hours / day does wonders for DC's. But playing? I'd certainly put the top 6 PLAYING bands in the college ranks up against the top 6 DC's any day. Perfect? Certainly not--again, 12 hour rehearsals. But it would certainly make an interesting stand-still performance!

But it would certainly make an interesting stand-still performance!

That's the point! A non-finalist corps or a top div 2/3 can sound pretty amazing when they are standing still.

Perhaps the correlation between the Honda Bowl and "audience entertainment" ought to be mentioned...not that DCI needs to go that route, but that kind of response should be studied, eh? :P

Look for my review of the show on DCI.org. It's been sent in and will hopefully be up Sunday by noon. I address that very issue.

Saying that a college MB can outplay a drum corps on a standstill (something that can be argued in its own right) is like saying you could win any activity if you took a major element out.

For example, ridding a horse and firing a bow and arrow into a target. This is like saying that if someone can hit the target while standing still that they are just as good as the individual that can do it while ridding on the horse.

Edited by raphael18

Just adding my .02, I'm in Japan where Drum Corps and Marching bands compete side by side. Of course in Japan a drum corps is concidered playing in the Key of "G". No one uses amps and there are no electronics of any kind. Out of the top 10, there were 2 marching bands (with ww's), and 3 drum corps ("G" corps) and the rest could be concidered drum corps in the states, but here, because they play multi key instruments (even though it's all brass) they are concidered brass bands. It's really intreasting to see them compete side by side.