Flipped Priorities

Rage

There is an odd phenomenon that has surfaced over the last few years in the Colts soprano line: an intensely proud and loyal second sop line. It has even gotten to the point in numerous cases where members have turned down the lead part to play second. It's almost like a cult. I was wondering if anything like this had popped up elsewhere?

That's great re: 2nd sops. All sections should take their parts and their fraternity seriously. BTW: years ago the jazz trumpeter turned comedian Pete Barbutti in his act used to portray the 3rd trumpet player, down to the reading, waiting, and playing of the 3rd harmony.....it was hilarious!

RON HOUSLEY

I dont think its happened at Madison yet. It's hard to get a top spot there, you have to have a pretty wide range. Although, I must say that I believe the 2nd book was technically harder than the lead book, especially with all the odd melodic jumps. But when it came to range they (the leads) blew everyone out of the water. I believe there were only 3 leads in 98. and 5 or 6 in 97 and 99.

I loved the 2nd book though. harmony rules.

Sly

I have seen this... as a matter of fact I even tried to have a "POWER HOUSE 3rd sopline" at Brigs this season but they were affraid that there would be TOO much power on 3rd and not enough balance on 2nd. I mean everyone in the line would have played LEAD somewhere else before!!!!

We have worked out and are maintaining a UNITY amongst the sopranos. Parts are assigned yes but we don't reffer to each other as Upper Upper Upper Leads and Lower Lower Lower 3rds. We are SOPRANOS.

Cool shtuff isn't it!?

I remember a few friend and I were going to try out for 3rd sop/2nd mello at Blue Devils in the late 90's because we were all the Leads for our various "MARCHING UNITS and district/all-state music offerings"... but alas... we suck.

Ok time for ritual animal beatings...

Cullen.

BTW: years ago the jazz trumpeter turned comedian Pete Barbutti in his act used to portray the 3rd trumpet player, down to the reading, waiting, and playing of the 3rd harmony.....it was hilarious!

Good god Ron are we showing our age. What a funny guy. The premise behind that routine was that the whole band except for the 3rd trumpet player and the rhythm section was late for the gig and the show had to go on. I can see him sitting there counting the rests and playing the 3rd trumpet horn punches to Jumpin at the Woodside. Funny, funny stuff!

I have seen something along this line while playing in the Marine D&B. There was a guy from Texas, and all I remember is his last name, Donahue, who could easily play with any corps lead bari line. But for some reason, he insisted on not only playing 3rd bari, but being the only 3rd bari in the entire hornline. He would do solo work, but never played lead. We never knew why, and never asked, either.

yeah, I noticed something about the third sop section this summer. With the exception of one (who was one of the best players in the line and a soloist), they weren't very good.. and they used to get called out all the time on their marching.. but they were also one of the most tight knit sections in the hornline, second to maybe the contras, and they worked really well together. I thought it was tight.

Yup, Crown 93, we had a 2nd sop hype.... it was strange, but quite cool. We rocked :)