Where would you add the 15 additional membrs?

15 more MELLOS!!!!

Not really. More low brass. You can never have enough.

You had me at "MELLOS"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all seem to love the cymbal lines, 4, 5, 6, 10 people, however many you want. Just remember DCI might have to go through a couple of bad cymbal line years since the number of Techs needed is going to skyrocket. Not just anyone can tech a cymbal line. Also not everyone can write parts for a cymbal line. Then the different styles (eastcoast, westcoast, hybrid) come into play. What if you have a Tech that wants a line to contribute musically rather than just for visual and effect crashes and the writer doesn't know how to add cymbal parts?

I say bring back the plates, but don't get discouraged if the first year isn't as impressive as imagined.

Rach

Reading Buccaneers sop 02, cymbals 03,04,07

Surf 06

There are two areas that need help, both having to do with imbalances I here with most corps. First, you need more snares to make up for their weak sound (high tension, kevlar heads, etc., etc.). Lets just use a snare line of maybe 14 to 16. That ought to do fine. I don't think the top corps would have a problem getting good snare players. Getting them to play clean is another story. I'd at least try it. Also, big snare lines are a visual treat. Second would be to help the 2nd and 3rd trumpets which usually get overpowered by the 1st trumpets. This one has been a problem for decades.

definitely bring back a cymbal line. (lets say 5)

with the remaining ten i would not add any to the drum line. more hands seem like it would be more harm than good. but i am not hoing to act like i know much about marching percussion. it was one lesson in class percussion. it doesnt make me an expert.

22- sops (those extra two added to the lower parts.)

14- mellos

22-bari/eups (depending on your part writing they can go where you need them. in 4 parts you often find 1 and 4 doubled. in that case you dont need 7 or 8 on bottom. if you are in a three part line a fat bottom is great!)

14- contras

72 brass (feel free to check my math i would doubt myself)

i would have three front field conductors and one back field/where ever they are needed conductor. that makes 4 drum major/conductor/air traffic controllers.

the guard could stand to be beefed up a touch, but not too much. i guess the remaining members should be divvied up between the guard and percussion where good hands and clean books can be seen in the future.

I'm surprised at the number of people whe if they had it their way would actually scale down the size of their guard, even given 15 extra members...

Edited by Stick Stack