Check out Bridgemen rehearsal on February 11th

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:spit:

:rock: :rock: :rock:

we need two contra players!!!!!

and please don't follow this up with we need all sections!!!!!!

we need contras!!!!! :P

Speaking of contras, I ran into Romeo Petric at the "R" train station at 95 St. in B'klyn.

He's doing well, but super-busy with all he has going on in his life.

He asked me to tell everyone Hello and said he'll be around as often as he can pull off.

Edited by attreides

Bmen_1979art.jpg

Back in the day these were 2 of the Bridgemen's most recognizable images. I think they premiered in 1979. They're among the best Bridgemen artwork ever created. They're enduring images, still relevant to who we are.

They're like 2 sides of the same coin. On one side, there's the dignified image of musicians and guard members who work hard in the activity. The performers know the music, the choreographed movement, and perform as cleanly as possible in a group effort. Back then we worked hard in competition, now it's in exhibition.

On the flip side of the coin, "Banana Power" (by Provenzano) showcases the irreverant, goofball "Bananas" who can bring a smile to everyone's face. The zany, outrageous, comical performers who just want to show an audience a good time.

Which of these is who we really are? Actually, we're both... rolled into one. We perform a technically challenging show, but we have our outlandish moments too. We were groundbreakers then and will pursue this goal for years to come.

And now that we have over 150 people committed to wearing yellow and black, the sky's the limit!

Our contra line puts out an OUTRAGEOUS sound. There have been moments standing in the hornline when the contras were standing behind us as they put out a big, lush sound that was to DIE for!

They have some WAY cool key changes in “My Favorite Things” that I always listen for; they make performing Larry Kerchner’s inspired writing seem easy.

And in “In The Stone” they get to play their contra feature front and center to show off what the lower brass are made of.

We have some really cool contra players in the line. It’s easy to make friends with the men and women who hold up the heaviest brass in the line.

They never complain about the extra effort they put in. They know why they’re here and they work hard to champion the dark, low sound that is the hallmark of any great hornline. Hats off to the line with the strongest lung power!

And as a bonus, there’s Romeo’s demon hooch. That’ll keep you coming back every month!

Doesn't that sound like something GREAT to be a part of? If you're a contra bass or tuba player, or interested in trying it, go to Bridgemen.com to find out more.

Whew. Somebody help me here.

Did I just REALLY sell out to help the contras!?

I'm a'scared!

We also need more color guard!!

(I'm not saying we "need all sections") ^0^

Yeah, ok...

We need CONTRAS, and COLOR GUARD! :beer::huh::beer:

But we won't turn you away, unless you approach us after February 11th. (all other sections!) :beer:

OOPS...I said it, but in a different context! B)

OK, JOHN??? :huh:

Good point Erin.

Color guards add the visual spice to any drum corps show. Their choreographed movement pulls your eye toward them as they perform on the field with flags (silks), rifles, and sabers. Their sweeping moves and challenging work add a layer of color that visually interpets the musical ensemble.

But there's more to it than that, isn't there?

When the 1976 Bridgemen premiered on the field, Bobby Hoffman turned the activity upside down with our radically different look and radically diffferent approach to entertaining.

And our all-girl color guard was part of that revolution. Our girls premiered in sleek, black coats with yellow cuffs, collar, and curvy lines. And an oversized fedora on top with an OUTRAGEOUS bandana/hat scarf.

Hoffman came to regard our uniforms as "costumes" because we were more akin to Broadway performers than the militaristic productions of the day.

With color guard choreographer Tom Pratt at the helm, the color guard paved the wave for a freer form of visual entertainment. In time, the color guard shocked people when they moved away from the militaristic-style movement of their competitors. Get this: they actually DANCED with equipment in their hands. Imagine the NERVE of these Bayonne people! Yes, they met resistance from some, but the majority of the audience knew they were witnessing some great entertainment and embraced it immediately. Other corps folowed suit as they recognized how much it added to their productions.

Of course the Bridgemen had to tempt fate and the color guard continued to change the status quo. The Bridgemen blazed a trail for others to follow, even if judges were at first resisitant.

The color guard of Hoffman’s era had a sexy, mysterious allure that made them a pleasure to watch. The equipment work, dance choreography, body language, and the smiles on our girls' faces added up to projecting confidence and determination.

In the new era, veteran Matt Hurley has stepped into the role that Tom Pratt once filled. Color Guard instructor Matt Hurley is an accomplished performer and choreographer who brings a great deal to the table. I've seen Matt perform with WGI winter guard Emerald Marquis and the DCA-winning Sunrisers back in the late 1980s. He was great at his craft then and has improved six-fold since then. The color guards he takes under his wing exhude confidence and cutting-edge style. Matt's color guards reach their potential and never finish the season asking why they didn't work harder. He's a determined dance master and will tolerate no laziness in his line!

Would you like to join a section that's out to SELL the show and give the audience a good time? You need only go to Bridgemen.com to begin the journey.

You'll make dozens of new friends and join forces with other determined performers who believe in moving our lives, and our corps, forward.

History_Bmen82.jpg

Edited by attreides

ya just couldn't do it could ya?? :P

Nah! :P

But, not to worry, Johnny!

The contras will come to Bayonne!

It's only a matter of time!!! B)