Help with Range/Endurance

bump

Edited by dctrumpetgrlie04

Ooo, wrong forum, but I'll answer anyway. Though everyone says lip slurs, I don't particularly like them. Now I do, since it built my range up. A simple of good exercise goes as such.

C G, E C, G E, Bb G, so on, and so forth. It goes from C down to a G, up to an E, down to a C ectcetera...

If you're not looking for a lip slurs, I would say try playing a chromatic scale, all the way up high until you can't go no far. Don't do this often, in fact, maybe only do the chromatic scale thing once, twice, three times a day at most! The chromatic scale has to start from your low C though. Not sure how much that helps, but it helps me handle the upper register a bit more.

*shows two pennies*

something that has helped me is to always start in the lower octaves when warming up, and slowing move up the arpeggio. So like, for example, start on a low C and work on long tones in half steps. Once you can maintain a balanced pitch with each note, move up the the 5th and do the same thing, adding in lip slurs between the 5th and lower octave, then go up to the octave (tuning note) and do the same thing, then the 3rd, and so on. This will help adjust your lip muscles to the mouthpiece.

Hey Kim, hope all is going well.

the best advice there is for this type of stuff, is always make the best sound you can possibly make. A person who can consistantly play with a clear sound will have a much easier time with all other "technical" aspects of the trumpet. I use the word technical loosely because I think all playing takes the same amount of skill and attention. I've made a lot of progress since I've come to college because I've been focusing on my sound. everything else became much easier because of it.

as far as range and endurance go, I honestly wouldn't worry tooooo much about it. Hopefully you're not being pushed into playing high and loud all of the time. You don't want to get into any bad habits that drum corps causes (and for those of you who feel like flaming me for that comment, there are a lot of flaws in the ways most groups go about doing things). Your best endurance exercise is to just practice every day, but know when to stop practicing. If you start to hurt, just put down the horn. endurance is a life long goal, you don't want to mess things up at an early age by pushing too hard.

to put it simply, play as beautifully as possible with as little pressure as possible at all times. even when you're practicing. most of this is concept of sound, but if you have a clear concept of what you should sound like, it will almost always positively effect your playing in any way you can think of.

good luck this season, i'm rooting for you guys/girls.

According to the rules of TASTY BROS. ........ buy a small mouthpiece and use as much pressure as possible. Cut down your rehearsal time and work more on compression :beer:

Ok that's not exactly great advice .. but there is some wisdom in some of their wisdom :huh:

Thanks everyone for the help. Like I said in the other forum (the RIGHT one... lol) I'll bring these posts up to help me out.

Here is a great study in building range and endurance:

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/chop.html

Here is another method that works for many people:

Casual Double High "C" Trumpet Method by Bob Odneal

There are a few on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Casual-Double-High-C-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

or there is always the old standard (if you can find it):

Double High C in 37 Weeks , By Roger Spaulding