Have You Ever...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cruel and unusual punishment, and that's unconstitutional. But seriously, do some basics blocks, then march the DRILL and the show. I don't believe in killer tracking.

What about Block Drills (works slides), X-box drill (works obliques), and circle drill (curvilinear awareness) - those are all useful tools early in the season.

If you don't like to work in that way - get really good and go to BD. Don't go to Cadets, PR, etc.

Agreed, block, x-box, figure 8, circle all are great pre season-early season drills. But come July,

I hope your kids have the legs by then to perform a clean 11 minute show and hill drills should not be necessary at this point of the season.

July= clean, clean, clean if you want to be mean, mean, mean in August. Or, if you want to march your kids up and down hills in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas when its 105 outside thats your choice. I'd rather see a clean show with a bunch of strong energetic bad###es on the field in July and August, than a bunch of worn out emaciated kids wearing uniforms that don't fit them anymore performing dirty shows. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of every DCI Corps, I just feel some Caption Heads at some corps need to make a few minor adjustments to their afternoon training regiments in July before someone gets serously hurt. I've never met a kid who made it thru one of the tuffest sports on the planet (DCI) that wasn't a legitimate tough, macho, Bad###(that goes for girls and guys). Yet when I'm out on the road watching different corps in July, is appears as though some Caption Heads are still focusing way too much on the macho part of the activity (which should be pre-season-June) and they are not spending enough time cleaning. OK, their kids can do 100 pushups, 1000 situps and they can march block up a hill in late July, but their stick heights are off, their toe heights are different, their elbows are different, their noses and chins are different, their shoulders are different, and some of them still have their shakos on crooked. All I'm saying is this: More cleaning and less marching up hills in July will equal less injuries, higher scores in July and an even higher score for your section and your corps at finals. Hopefully your corps will be scoring in the 90's this year and all your kids stay safe and strong. Best of Luck to all who are marching. Us oldtimers only wish we were in your shoes right now.