Still openings in all sections!

Just wondering why all senior corps announcements need to mention, especially during the winter months, that there are "still openings in all sections", or only 2 contra spots are still open. It's as if anyone actually believes that there is any senior corps with a closed membership in the month of February. I know it's PR and all....but let's get real!!

... well come check out the surplus of snares over here in Rochester.....

Depends on the corps and the section. For that matter why should Ford or GM have commercials announcing they have cars for sale 'cause we all know they always do. Keeping corps name in the public eye always helps.

Your favorite corps is Archie???

Just wondering why all senior corps announcements need to mention, especially during the winter months, that there are "still openings in all sections", or only 2 contra spots are still open. It's as if anyone actually believes that there is any senior corps with a closed membership in the month of February. I know it's PR and all....but let's get real!!

If you need players; gotta ask for them somehow.

I think most corps have set a number for their show by now, and if they have "2 contra spots open" then they need to let potential players know that.

I know that WE have very specific needs, like everyone else. If the odd extra section player showed up, we'd likely try to make a fit. But you can't use ALL sopranos!

How would you do it?

If you need players; gotta ask for them somehow.

I think most corps have set a number for their show by now, and if they have "2 contra spots open" then they need to let potential players know that.

I know that WE have very specific needs, like everyone else. If the odd extra section player showed up, we'd likely try to make a fit. But you can't use ALL sopranos!

How would you do it?

BTW: we DON'T have openings in all sections - we are getting crowded in the mello and tuba areas!

Depends on the corps and the section. For that matter why should Ford or GM have commercials announcing they have cars for sale 'cause we all know they always do. Keeping corps name in the public eye always helps.

Your favorite corps is Archie???

Archie has openings in ALL sections!!!

I think the main reason is that most corps (at least the ones I've been in) start learning drill in March. And there's not much point in writing drill spots for players that just don't exist, and may not exist by the time of the championships. Unless you have some motivation to march a hole, like a memorial spot for a fallen comrade.

It's a catch 22 to close the doors though. Or write extra drill spots hoping for members to fill the spots by the end of the season. With a closed door, you drive away potential members. With extra spots, you just might be marching a championship with more written holes than you have members. It's not like there's a ton of time to completely rewrite/teach the entire drill two weeks before nationals. Although with the upcoming 35 minimum, corps may have no choice but to write drill for members they don't have yet. At least if they plan on being a competitive corps. Which only looks that much worse when a portion of the membership can't make some of the shows during the season.

The thing I see with posting to a forum like this one is that most of us are already members of one particular organization or another. Those of us that aren't members right now have been with one in the past and are likely to return to that same organization if we decide to go back. Those people will not rely on a post on DCP to tell them if there are spots left, they will show up at camp, most likely because someone they know is already there and has called to tell them how things are going.

:)

I think the main reason is that most corps (at least the ones I've been in) start learning drill in March. And there's not much point in writing drill spots for players that just don't exist, and may not exist by the time of the championships. Unless you have some motivation to march a hole, like a memorial spot for a fallen comrade.

It's a catch 22 to close the doors though. Or write extra drill spots hoping for members to fill the spots by the end of the season. With a closed door, you drive away potential members. With extra spots, you just might be marching a championship with more written holes than you have members. It's not like there's a ton of time to completely rewrite/teach the entire drill two weeks before nationals. Although with the upcoming 35 minimum, corps may have no choice but to write drill for members they don't have yet. At least if they plan on being a competitive corps. Which only looks that much worse when a portion of the membership can't make some of the shows during the season.

Alot of truth here.I don't seriuosly believe you can build from interent posts.Small groups grow from local roots.Some posts are for " hey over here, look at me" some are general information. I've seen too many groups with bloated yahoo groups and mailing list and 10 people at practice.This has lead people in groups

to keep counting on the next reheasal as the day when everyone shows up.I've had people here fall into that trap too.This year you're only a member if you come to practice. Those who keep saying they'll be here, and really don't have a good reason, are not member's until they actually start coming to practice.

This also keeps you less vunerable to other groups' interference.Even with a group as small as mine I have to deal with that constantly. I need 26 people to make MVE work financially, only after that is met, can we move on to bigger things.If you're at all interested we're short 6 people from that goal, 2bari's,

1 3rd soprano, 2 mallets, 1 bass drum.So I guess there's openings here in most sections too,until we start working on 35 members and then all sections have openings.And never write the drill until you know exactly who's marching. :)

:)

Alot of truth here.I don't seriuosly believe you can build from interent posts.Small groups grow from local roots.Some posts are for " hey over here, look at me" some are general information. I've seen too many groups with bloated yahoo groups and mailing list and 10 people at practice.This has lead people in groups

to keep counting on the next reheasal as the day when everyone shows up.I've had people here fall into that trap too.This year you're only a member if you come to practice. Those who keep saying they'll be here, and really don't have a good reason, are not member's until they actually start coming to practice.

This also keeps you less vunerable to other groups' interference.Even with a group as small as mine I have to deal with that constantly. I need 26 people to make MVE work financially, only after that is met, can we move on to bigger things.If you're at all interested we're short 6 people from that goal, 2bari's,

1 3rd soprano, 2 mallets, 1 bass drum.So I guess there's openings here in most sections too,until we start working on 35 members and then all sections have openings.And never write the drill until you know exactly who's marching. :)

Nice.. I like the answer and the little bit of recruiting. :worthy: use what you can..