Full Touring Status

So, this came up from the Academy thread, and I thought I would bring this up...

What do you consider a full tour?

Do you consider it necessary for a Div. 1 corps to have to do a full tour? (Financially, logistically, all aspects considered)

Simple questions, I suppose. Under the current structure, though, aren't DIV 1 corps by definition a full touring corps? This brings up quite a bit of issues, especially considering the recent corps inactivations. In this day and age, I have yet to hear about a corps moving back down to Div II, mainly because there is little benefit... But is DIV I killing these corps?!

part of the problem is DCI has never defined what is a "full tour"...is it number of shows? is it miles travelled?

They would have to be very specific in their wording if they ever took up the issue (I know they have looked at it, but no official word yet)...let's say they define a full tour as 20 shows minimum and anyone not doing 20 shows minimum had to become div II for the year (as an example)...Blue Devils went to Europe in 2000 and 2005, only did 16 shows and 17 shows in the DCI games respectively, would they be not allowed as a div I? Of course not. If its miles we're talkin about, all the corps in CA log plenty of miles to cross the country to get to the other shows (or even going from Nor Cal to So Cal and back again is quite a trek), so it will be interesting to see if this ever comes up again, but I think they have it so once a corps is granted Div I status, they are a full on Div I corps (the way it should be)

What do you consider a full tour?

I don't make that call - but what DCI has generally been defining it as is evidenced by the Mandarins. Look back at their schedules over the past four years, as they have qualified as "full-tour" in all their division I campaigns.

Do you consider it necessary for a Div. 1 corps to have to do a full tour? (Financially, logistically, all aspects considered)

No.

There's no reason to require that. If a corps wants to limit their tour, especially due to fiscally responsible management, what sense would it make for DCI to say no?