Catholic Drum Corps

Thanks for adding more information about Our Lady of Miraculous Medal. I did mention them but only with the parish name (as we sometimes called corps back then . . . just St. Joe's instead of St. Joe's Brigade, etc.) Ridgewood, NY is my home town and it certainly saw its share of drum corps and drum corps personalities in its day!

Doreen

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for adding more information about Our Lady of Miraculous Medal. I did mention them but only with the parish name (as we sometimes called corps back then . . . just St. Joe's instead of St. Joe's Brigade, etc.) Ridgewood, NY is my home town and it certainly saw its share of drum corps and drum corps personalities in its day!

Doreen

There was also a St. Joes Ironbound Cadets I believe. Don't know where they came from. Probably Jersey I'd guess.

This Saint Joe had a lot of drum corps.

Ah yes, the Orbits, a/k/a "Mirac"... a great "neighborhood" corps that produced some fine players (Laura Schactner, that Wellinghoff kid...etc). I had the pleasure of teaching there after the great Tommy Martin, and also worked with their local rivals, the St. Aloysious Blue Eagles. Corps like these were the heart and soul of the activity in the '60s and '70s, and they were seemingly ubiquitous.

Some parishes had more than one. St. Catherine's sponsored the (all-boy) Queensmen and the (all-girl) Marionettes, both highly competitive on state and national levels.

Ah yes, the Orbits, a/k/a "Mirac"... a great "neighborhood" corps that produced some fine players (Laura Schactner, that Wellinghoff kid...etc). I had the pleasure of teaching there after the great Tommy Martin, and also worked with their local rivals, the St. Aloysious Blue Eagles. Corps like these were the heart and soul of the activity in the '60s and '70s, and they were seemingly ubiquitous.

Some parishes had more than one. St. Catherine's sponsored the (all-boy) Queensmen and the (all-girl) Marionettes, both highly competitive on state and national levels.

"Some Parishes":

Indeed they did. St Kevins had THREE drum corps, all co-ed: The Emerald Knights, the Gems & the Chips. Blessed Sac had the Golden Knights and the Squires. St Josephs had the "Mighty" competing corps and their little brothers the "Peanuts".

St Raphaels Buccaneers of Connecticut, originally started as a "Co-Ed" corps, became an "All Male" corps in 1963. They started an 'All Girls' corps, the Marionettes to go along with the "Cadets" corps that had been started back in 1960 called the Musketeers.

There are no doubt MANY more "Parishes" from back in the day, that fielded multiple units.

Elphaba

• 2 weeks later...

It really is a shame that the Cathilic church no longer sponcers D&B corps.

Especially when you take into account how many kids lives were changed and enriched, by the activity.

With all the money that the church generates!

Their participation was during a time when drum corps was for all kids. Not just the ones who could afford it.

I guess that particular aspect is what really irritates me about drum corps, then vs. now.

I am not sure how it worked for other corps, but the best of my knowledge, our parish "sponsored" our corps in terms of allowing us to use space in the school (which I think we did pay for in some way) and have storage space in the school. There was certainly the sentiment tha the Blue Max was the "St. Matthias" Blue Max.

Other than that, the corps earned ALL of its own money . . . parades, fundraisers, Christmas carolling (very lucrative if you spend ten days going through the local neighborhoods each night), reviews, bingo, bake sales, white elephant sales, reviews, music shows, you name it!

The corps bought ALL of its own equipment, fabric for uniforms and flags that were sewn by moms, paid its instructors, paid its bus and other bills. At one point St. Matthias had a full (120 or so-person) "Open Class Corps," "B" Corps with about 20 horns and then the "Mini max" for the little brothers and sisters who were just not ready for the "B" Corps. The corps (and the Admin, Staff, and parents) worked hard - and once things were humming, we were at it almost always 4 days a week!

Ah, great memories.

Doreen

• 1 year later...
I am seeking information on any Catholic drum corps. I know such corps were popular back in the day and I would like to find out about their histories and origins. Any information would be great!

well you can try the corps that I marched with BLESSED SACRAMENT GOLDEN KNIGHTS FROM NEWARK N.J they have a great site I think you would enjoy it's blessed sacrament golden knights.com

A while back someone had posted a picture of Sacred Heart Crusaders (Manville,NJ) rifle line from 74. (where I marched that year)

Looking at the picture I and specificaly the "shakos" , I wondered in todays PC world how they would be accepted.

The shield/insignia? on the front of the shako was silver with a black oval background with silver cross in the middle.

Most corps had some type of eagle (cadets) etc. on the shako.

I wonder if any of the other Catholic corps mentioned on here had a Cross on the uniform somewhere?