Catholic Drum Corps

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK . . . I remembered another Catholic Drum Corps that the Blue Max competed against (or at least, in the same circuit): St. Camillus Fife And Drum Corps. . . .

and I saw mention of St. Catherine’s Queensmen, St. Jeans Lynn, St. Patrick's Cadets. . . and let's not forget St. Ignatius!

Doreen

Edited by mellogirlNY

OK . . . I remembered another Catholic Drum Corps that the Blue Max competed against (or at least, in the same circuit): St. Camillus Fife And Drum Corps. . . .

and I saw mention of St. Catherine’s Queensmen, St. Jeans Lynn, St. Patrick's Cadets. . . and let's not forget St. Ignatius!

Doreen

This IS fun!

Couple more, just from Jersey:

St. Joe's Newark........... St. Rose of Lima, Newark..........St. Ann's, Fair Lawn........St. Mary's, Nutley............ St. Vincent's, Madison.........

St. Nick's, Egg Harbor Township........St. Brendan's, Clifton..........St. Martin's, Newark...........St. Joe's, Haddonfield(?).........Our Lady of Lourdes, Paterson

Bill Moore B)

Bells of St. Johns from Ontario (went by 'St. John's Girls' by the mid 70's)

These are just some of the corps that gained prominence. I'm sure there are dozens more that never toured yet competed locally. Additionally, most had younger "C class" type feeder corps which fed into their membership.

The only overtly Catholic corps competing today - that I'm aware of - is St. Johns from Brantford, Ontario (Div III and a former all-girl that went coed in '85). Pioneer from Milwaukee, Wisconsin - the remnant of the St. Patricks and Thunderbolts '73 merger - still fields a corps. There are however many Catholic alumni-type corps reforming at various levels of activity.

St. John's Girls of Brantford originated from St. John's College which was run by the Brant County Roman Catholic Separate School Board. When I joined in 1972 they had already started in previous years to allow girls from outside of the school and the Catholic faith to join so I'm not sure when that began to change. During the time I marched the corps pre-show rituals included singing the corps song and saying the Lord's prayer. I'm not sure if that is still continued today.

The College colours were (and are) green and white, hence the green and white uniforms in the years up to 1977. The decals on the bass drums included the school's mascot, the green eagle. We even had a corps news letter titled 'The Eagle Shrieks' followed by 'The Gospel According To St. John's'

I could be wrong on this but I believe that the reason for changing the corps name to Brantford Girls in the late 70's early 80's was to distance itself from the college in order to draw more girls from any religious affiliation or background. As I said - I may be wrong on this point so if there's anyone out there who could verify, please do.

The corps web-site appears to be inactive so I'm not sure what the state of the current organization is.

kel

The Belles of St. John's was the feeder corps started in 75 or 76. There was a huge interest for this activity for younger girls at that time. There was no religious affiliation at that time either - any and all girls were welcome. The Belles had a few successful years before they folded due to lack of membership.

I'm sorry Ray, but you are correct. It must be my age and what a GREAT corps they were. Thanks

another Brooklyn Catholic corps you forgot:

Our Lady of Angels Blue Angels

Garden State Circuit competitor

:)

This IS fun!

Couple more, just from Jersey:

St. Joe's Newark........... St. Rose of Lima, Newark..........St. Ann's, Fair Lawn........St. Mary's, Nutley............ St. Vincent's, Madison.........

St. Nick's, Egg Harbor Township........St. Brendan's, Clifton..........St. Martin's, Newark...........St. Joe's, Haddonfield(?).........Our Lady of Lourdes, Paterson

Bill Moore B)

I forgot my Dad's two drum corps!!!

St. Stephen's, Passaic.... St. George's, Paterson (St. George's was the Corps many of Hawthorne's initial members got their starts, of course.)

Bill Moore B)

I went to OLA.

yeah ~ about 35 years ago! :lolhit:

And who could forget (obvoiusly everyone so far B) ) St. Lucy's Cadets from Newark, N.J. or St. Aedan's Emerald Knights. Father Donovan who was the founder and moderator of St. Andrew's Bridgemen from Bayonne, N.J. also started a Fife, Drum and Bugle Corps in his first parish assignment in Fort Lee, N.J. in 1953 called Madonna Fife, Drum and Bugle Corps. Lefty Mayer once mentioned Our Lady of the Toilet Bowl from Flushing, Long Island but that's another matter entirely. :)