Northern Arizona - Corps nearby?

Graduated from NAU too and live in N. AZ about 80 miles from Flag. I get there just about every other weekend to visit my brother and do my major shopping. You'll really enjoy Flagstaff and the vibe of the city. Although it feels a little congested at times, it is a college dominated town. You'll have a variety of local people from regular joes, to hippies, to Native Americans (Navajo and Hopi mostly), to of course all the college kids.

The NAU music program was okay when I went there, but has sort of picked up lately. Our ever favorite judge Nola Jones did a stint here for about two years and just recently left. I'm quite sure it was her and some other faculty that pushed to have a Bands of America Regional here for the last two years. NAU has a nice size dome where they play football, basketball, and hold other events, including their band day and the BOA event.

Nightlife centers around downtown (or at least what we call a downtown) Flagstaff on San Francisco and Beaver Streets. This is within walking distance from the college, but many people drive and park all over during the cold season. You aged out the same year I did I think (1994 right?) so doing the bar hopping thing is not quite my thing anymore, but I still check it out occasionally. There are many more other bars and places to hang at and you'll find what place is comfortable for you as each as its own vibe.

You'll see lots of the chain restaurants here like other places (Olive Garden, Oregano's, Outback, Red Lobster, Crackle Barrel), but there are also some great local ones too (Buster's, The Cottage Place, Sakura, Beaver Street Brewery, Flagstaff Brewery, Granny's Closet, Josephine's). Whatever you're in the mood to eat when you come for your interview, I can give you some recommendations.

If you get a job, you'll have access to the NAU fitness center for free. It's not too bad, but is not 24 hours. There are local gyms in town, but have never been to any. Mostly Flagstaff is known for its outdoor activites. You can make it to the mountains in 10 minutes by car and find many paths to hike on a nice day. Then there is skiing in the winter if we get enough snowfall.

As for drum corps, everyone has pretty much covered that area. BD stayed at a local high school a couple years back. No show, just stopping in for the day for some practice. You're in luck if you're here this summer. Shows in Phoenix, Tucson, Lake Havasu, and Alburquerque (which is not too far away). After this summer, probably not as many. I also always go to the So. Cal shows which if you leave in the morning, can usually get there by mid afternoon. There are times when I take a road trip to Denver or Texas. Flying out for championships is a pain usually since it's always in the midwest or east. Definitely more expensive for us out west to do it, but I always find a way.

BTW, it was just on the news the other day that NAU has about 20,000 students enrolled (its biggest ever). There are many satelite programs though so it's a little less on campus, but it sure feels like it when driving around town at times. Housing is also very expensive here and has been a hot topic and debate. The city wants to build more affordable housing, but many say Flagstaff will lose it's charm if subdivisions start going up. They're pricing teachers out of the market though. If there is anything else you would like to know, let me know. Good luck on your interview!

Im from NJ and my daughter graduated from NAU in 04. Flagstaff is a GREAT place. We are bringing our corps, Spirit of New Jersey, up there to see the Grand Canyon before we go to Tucson. I've been there several times and always marvel at it when I get there.

Does anyone have a contact in the Flagstaff area where we may be able to stay for about 3 days? It would be appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Im from NJ and my daughter graduated from NAU in 04. Flagstaff is a GREAT place. We are bringing our corps, Spirit of New Jersey, up there to see the Grand Canyon before we go to Tucson. I've been there several times and always marvel at it when I get there.

Does anyone have a contact in the Flagstaff area where we may be able to stay for about 3 days? It would be appreciated.

Three local high schools in Flag: Coconino H.S., Flagstaff H.S., and Sinagua H.S. (which hosted BD a couple years back). Don't have the numbers, but I'm sure you can find them online. There are also a couple middle schools in town. Other possible areas include the town to Williams or a little south in Prescott. As for knowing anyone in those schools, sorry I don't.

Three local high schools in Flag: Coconino H.S., Flagstaff H.S., and Sinagua H.S. (which hosted BD a couple years back). Don't have the numbers, but I'm sure you can find them online. There are also a couple middle schools in town. Other possible areas include the town to Williams or a little south in Prescott. As for knowing anyone in those schools, sorry I don't.

Thank you. We are really looking forward to this summer.