Corps having an off year

I disagree.

We are in an activity where minutae can make the difference between 1st and 5th. Tenths determine placements.

Cadets had to knock off some folks in their climb to the top..and so will the Coats.

Micheal Klesh once told me to be a DCI conteder you need three things. Talent, a good organization, and undenialble excellence on the field.

There are several corps in the middle ranks now striving to do just this!

You do need those 3 things above, but don't overlook the biggest neccessity of all to be a serious contender for the Title...... lots of Benjamins.

You do need those 3 things above, but don't overlook the biggest neccessity of all to be a serious contender for the Title...... lots of Benjamins.

Check out Guidestar..Cavies budget is less then most of the corps they are competing with. $$ does help, but IMHO, corps that are well managed and able to compete at this level will have the $$ covered..not swimming in loot mind you, but well-budgeted and fiscally solvent.

Here is an example....

In 2005 Crown stayed still from 04. However! Madison moved up 2 spots and SCV fell 5 spots. Had SCV done what they usually do, lowest placement ever, then they would have been in 5th-ish and Crown would have fallen to 8th. I have always said that really Crown didn't beat SCV, SCV just fell and had an off year. But you can say that Madison beat Crown because they moved up. And who knows, had 2005 SCV came in 5th place then Bluecoats and Cadets probably would have been in 5th and 6th. I would say that 2005 SCV was an off year and now they are rebuilding. Obviously it hurt them that year but they came back this year...not to the level of previous years...and are working on a solid comeback I would say.

Just my thoughts....