Winterguard poll

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the last person to question a guard person on a guard topic, but when was the last time you actually watched a show? Props have been greatly downsized in both percussion and guard, and not just in WGI... smaller circuits have seen decreases too.

How about last year. I attended two shows, and could not stand much more than that. I felt like I was at a drill team contest of the 80's. Too much dancing, not enough spinning. What version of spinning being offered was neither clean or particularly together. It really doesn't matter how many props, their positioning made the floor appear cluttered at times, very distracting to me.

You make like it, but please let me have my own opinion.

Wow, when was the last time both of you saw a guard show? It's been YEARS since lots of props were used. As far as your "being judged by a certain criteria" statement, how else should they be judged, by fan reaction? If that's the case then why even have judges or a competition at all?

If your jaws weren't dropping - you must be going to shows in the wrong circuit because where I'm from the guards' skills are very complex! They do so much today it is unbelievable! Give today's kids the credit they deserve! Double fast while doing high mark time doesn't quite cut it anymore!!

I find it very troubling when someone thinks that I have to go all the way back to high mark time to enjoy WGI. By the time I marched WGI, high mark time was way out of vogue. I am also trouble by peoples assumptions, especially when they do not come in the same ballpark as reality.

Why not just judge the show that is in front of your? Why do you have to meet a criteria of a certain amount of dance, and certain amount of movement. Why cannot I just put my show out there and have it judged for its cleanliness, execution, general effect, and did the show work? That would be pretty novel wouldn't it. My opinion is that shows pretty much look alike, and I think the way they are judged makes it this way.

I don't worry much about guards not doing double fast spins. Too many folks can't do it because they are not taught to do so. Besides when you are trying to re-invent the wheel on a yearly basis, teaching something as "old school" as that just doesn't fall on the menu[sarcasm off]

As a guard girl, I love winterguard. I don't have much to compare it to, but the different types of body and equipment work are all parts of the reasons why I love it. I love watching too.. Right now there are guards from every class in WGI and regional circuits that amaze me. I guess it's just what you come expecting to see and like.

I find it very troubling when someone thinks that I have to go all the way back to high mark time to enjoy WGI. By the time I marched WGI, high mark time was way out of vogue. I am also trouble by peoples assumptions, especially when they do not come in the same ballpark as reality.

Why not just judge the show that is in front of your? Why do you have to meet a criteria of a certain amount of dance, and certain amount of movement. Why cannot I just put my show out there and have it judged for its cleanliness, execution, general effect, and did the show work? That would be pretty novel wouldn't it. My opinion is that shows pretty much look alike, and I think the way they are judged makes it this way.

I don't worry much about guards not doing double fast spins. Too many folks can't do it because they are not taught to do so. Besides when you are trying to re-invent the wheel on a yearly basis, teaching something as "old school" as that just doesn't fall on the menu[sarcasm off]

When you judge a show "that is in front of you" you look at the criteria "that is in front of you" on your sheet and you see where that guard fits as related to your specific caption! There is NOTHING on the current WGI sheets that states a guard must do "so much dance." Gee, how would one get a movement score with NO MOVEMENT!?!? There is a sub-caption for "cleanliness." It's called EXCELLENCE! AND PLEASE, clarify for me the difference between "cleanliness and execution!!!!" There IS a General Effect caption! The Ensemble Analysis sheet takes care of your question about "does the show work!" Perhaps you need to do some research on what these guards' scores are based.

Maybe I wasn't referring to YOU when I mentioned the double fast with a high mark time! My point being - these guards are progressing just as everything progresses. Give the kids the credit they deserve for the demanding programs being presented! Like I said, perhaps in your area the guards might not be as well developed as in other areas of the country, but believe me, Color Guard is alive and well.

How about last year. I attended two shows, and could not stand much more than that. I felt like I was at a drill team contest of the 80's. Too much dancing, not enough spinning. What version of spinning being offered was neither clean or particularly together. It really doesn't matter how many props, their positioning made the floor appear cluttered at times, very distracting to me.

You make like it, but please let me have my own opinion.

oh jeez.

I don't recally saying "You can't have an opinion."

I wish people would get over the fact I call opinions out. The next time I say "You may not have an opinion," then PLEASE call me out on it, because I don't take away your opininon priledges. I was trying to get your facts straight. Guards don't use many props anymore. That's fact, not opinion.

~>conner

When you judge a show "that is in front of you" you look at the criteria "that is in front of you" on your sheet and you see where that guard fits as related to your specific caption! There is NOTHING on the current WGI sheets that states a guard must do "so much dance."

You are correct. However my experience (at least to me) has shown that if you do not dance as much as the next guard, then you will not be scored as high, even if your show is cleaner, better executed, and fan accessible. Subjective judging makes that a reality. Why have a criteria? That is the very thing that makes all the shows seemingly look alike. Why not just judge the dang show on its own merits within your caption, and NOT have a criteria to hamper different approaches to colorguard?

Gee, how would one get a movement score with NO MOVEMENT!?!?

Why have a movement score? Why lock someone into something that might not fit the show they want to produce? That is part of why I think most shows look alike to me.

There is a sub-caption for "cleanliness." It's called EXCELLENCE! AND PLEASE, clarify for me the difference between "cleanliness and execution!!!!"

There is no difference. However, as a SUB caption, that just goes to show how reduced that has become as a requirement in general.

There IS a General Effect caption! The Ensemble Analysis sheet takes care of your question about "does the show work!" Perhaps you need to do some research on what these guards' scores are based.

Please, I do not need any recommendation from you thanks. I am ACUTELY aware of the score sheets and the judging system as a whole. Perhaps you should limit passing out advice.

Maybe I wasn't referring to YOU when I mentioned the double fast with a high mark time!

Then it would help in the future if you didn't use my quotes as a vehicle for your responses. It makes it seem like you are talking to me since its my post you are quoting.

My point being - these guards are progressing just as everything progresses. Give the kids the credit they deserve for the demanding programs being presented! Like I said, perhaps in your area the guards might not be as well developed as in other areas of the country, but believe me, Color Guard is alive and well.

You are entitled to your opinon just like I am entitled to mine. So in the future you can keep your lectures close to your chest when my opinion differs from yours okay? Not everyone is going to share your excitement about WGI, I certainly don't and that's my right.