Suncoast '88

The piece had a good versus evil theme: I was "good," cavorting around in a white unitard with wings while my "evil" counterpart was a young woman from the guard got up in a spider/dominatrix inspired costume.

Got any pictures?! :P j/k

Got any pictures?! :P j/k

Oddly enough I have not a single photo from that year (though I do have lots from '88, even one with me and Wesley).

I recall that perhaps in the '91 finals program there was one of me, wings and all.

'90 was a creative show but it didn't quite have the poignancy of '88.

Well, I hope this answers your question, Mike (you are in MTL too?!).

Kena

Hi Kena, thanks for personnally answering my question! I marched Cavies in '88 and was in awe of Suncoast's show - and your part in it.

And yes I'm in Montreal too. Born and bred!

Later,

Mike

Hi Kena, thanks for personnally answering my question! I marched Cavies in '88 and was in awe of Suncoast's show - and your part in it.

And yes I'm in Montreal too. Born and bred!

Later,

Mike

Wow. I was acquainted with at least a couple of Cavies from that year (one from the guard and the other from the horns, I think) as I have some pictures of me with them from Finals. I can't recall their names it was so long ago. I remember liking your show.

So you were in the Cavie guard (rifle or flag)?

How odd that the person who asked about my part in Suncoast turns out to be from the city in which I live now! I mean, certainly when I marched with Suncoast I was from Texas and had no idea I'd end up here--in fact, the first time I ever came to MTL was because of the '88 tour.

Are you still involved with drum corps stuff?

Kena

Wow. I was acquainted with at least a couple of Cavies from that year (one from the guard and the other from the horns, I think) as I have some pictures of me with them from Finals. I can't recall their names it was so long ago. I remember liking your show.

So you were in the Cavie guard (rifle or flag)?

How odd that the person who asked about my part in Suncoast turns out to be from the city in which I live now! I mean, certainly when I marched with Suncoast I was from Texas and had no idea I'd end up here--in fact, the first time I ever came to MTL was because of the '88 tour.

Are you still involved with drum corps stuff?

Kena

Hey Kena,

I was in the guard - I was on rifle. There was also another member from Montreal, he was in the flag line. And yeah, its definately a strange coincidence that you now live in Montreal!

As for drum corps, it pretty much died out in Quebec in the late nineties. I try to take in one "'close" DCI show every year though I have however been doing winter guard with Sonnor as we do have a winter guard circuit.

So I take it you must speak French by now :P

Later,

Mike

Hey Kena,

I was in the guard - I was on rifle. There was also another member from Montreal, he was in the flag line. And yeah, its definately a strange coincidence that you now live in Montreal!

As for drum corps, it pretty much died out in Quebec in the late nineties. I try to take in one "'close" DCI show every year though I have however been doing winter guard with Sonnor as we do have a winter guard circuit.

So I take it you must speak French by now :P

Later,

Mike

Mike, that's wonderful you are still in the biz, so to speak. I do not know winter guard beyond Karl Lowe's Eighties "Odyssey" if I am remembering correctly. There seemed to be with those folks some pride in pushing the envelop in winter guard then that spilled over into Suncoast via Karl, George and others from Odyssey.

Anyway, really interesting this stuff about winter guard. I quickly looked up your group and it seems quite wonderful. I will look further.

I always loved rifle more than flags!

As for parler en francais. Je suis desole mais je parle en francais seulment un peu. (Notice my bad grasp of the language!) Well, I did in fact enroll as soon as I arrived here into french immersion classes. But even after five months of instruction (and five years of living here), I am still very weak in my ability to speak french bien.

Please let me know if Sonnor has a show around town! I would love to go.

K

P.S. I am assuming by your name you are an anglophone here but probably speak french quite well.

She did have the calves of the gods.

I believe she was a dancer who was recruited to the corps, kind of like the Garfield soloist form 87, but I'm not positive. I never much cared for the character. The guard (and the guard work) was good enough that the literal depiction of "the contemporary child" was unnecessary IMHO.

You know, I always remember thinking that with those calves, she could have booted at 65-yard field goal without a hitch! :P

Mike, I did some more googling. Are you by chance francophone (or an anglo/french mix)? Not that it matters, but as an American writer in Quebec, I find such issues interesting whether it is about born and bred anglos in Quebec or francophones here and their thoughts about ROC and North America in general.

Anyway, please let me know if Sonnor is doing a show during its upcoming season. I would love to see one. I always admired what guards did with equipment (as well as the DCI musicians managing to march, sometimes very fast, while playing music so well! Goodness, I never could have done any of that!)

Thanks again,

Kena (kenaherod@maisonneuve.org: it's already easily found so why bother to hide one of my e-mail addresses from anyone.)

P.S. What is the deal with my calves!? BTW, I was totally out of shape both '88 and '90 because no one needed me until final run-thrus so I sat a lot, gained weight and smoked too much!

Mike I forgot to mention for you to see my original reply to your note, a couple of posts ago.

Unfortunately, back to work on this very nice weekend day here!