The first female Caballero

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta apologize......I forget who's show it was, but we, (a bunch of people from Archie) were at an indoor show and when it came time for Hawthorne to come on.....the curtain opened and there were "chicks" holding flag poles all across the top riser.......the crowd went nuts before they played their 1st note. Anybody have this same memory? Help me out here.....

Jerry

I'm pretty sure the answer is Terry Ryan..who was the first to officially "sign up" as soon as the announcement was made around Dec. 1981. I can't believe its been 25 years since that unforgettable 1982 season. Here is a little tribute to "Something New in '82"

82 Cabs

1978 was the first year that females became marching members of the Skyliners.
Hey Brother Frank! How ya doin?

I'm glad you answered that question first. I knew there were females in the guard in 1979 but wasn't sure about 78'.

Additionally, and not that the question was asked, but I believe that it wasn't until 1980 until the first woman joined Sky's horn line, and if my memory serves me right it was on mellophone.

Jeany Floreck was the 1st female to join the hornline in 1986. Actually Esther Morano's (sp) 1st season was in 1988. She marched Cabs as a soprano through 1989 where she moved onto Crossmen as both a member and if memory serves me correctly she was also Staff/director in the early 90's.

Mike is referring to the very first member in 1982 which at that time, females were only in the colorguard and not the corps proper.

Right you are! Jean Florek was the first female horn player for Cabs. She played in the line with her husband Bob and her brother-in-law (his twin), Tom. And also followed in the footsteps of her brother, Jim Kelly.

Unfortunately, Jean lost Bob several years ago, but as an old friend and neighbor of hers, I've been keeping her involved in drum corps and she's been having a blast!!!

If any of you will be out at Harrisburg, you can catch her on stage with me at the mini corps competition, where we'll be playing with Lambertville Volunteers, as well as the Yankee Rebel Show, where we'll be performing with Blessed Sac.

...Jackie

I'm pretty sure the answer is Terry Ryan..who was the first to officially "sign up" as soon as the announcement was made around Dec. 1981. I can't believe its been 25 years since that unforgettable 1982 season. Here is a little tribute to "Something New in '82"

82 Cabs

Don't Know who you are but you got it... Thanks for the video that was cool..

This question is a no brainer: Margie Vitale B)

Thats another great answer...

Gotta apologize......I forget who's show it was, but we, (a bunch of people from Archie) were at an indoor show and when it came time for Hawthorne to come on.....the curtain opened and there were "chicks" holding flag poles all across the top riser.......the crowd went nuts before they played their 1st note. Anybody have this same memory? Help me out here.....

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

I was there it was a little wierd but great...

I don't know about first - but wasn't Pagean the youngest in '05?