Emerald Regime Pre-Season Invitational

Emerald Regime is pleased to not only announce their return to the field for the DCPI-8 season, but we are also bringing back our Emerald Regime - Preview of Green/Emerald City - Pre-Season Invitational.

emcity55.jpg

The contest has grown over the years, and many corps from the U.S.A. have been involved in making this event a success. This year, we are using a different format for the event--and I think many directors will enjoy and get more out of the contest.

Where: Center Grove HS Stadium - Greenwood IN

Date: May 19th and May 20th

Time: TBA (Gates Open)

------------------------------------Application-------------------------------------------------------------

What you need to do to get your corps here:

Fill out our short application (deadline is May 12, 2007) and private message your information back to me:

Directors may only submit 1 corps total per division.

Name of Corps:

Name of Director:

Division of Corps: 1, 2, or 3

Location of Corps:

Select captions (choose a random number for each caption--- 0 - 100). Each random number, will have a "score" affixed to it; and each number will have a different score depending on the division. A mixed scale system will be used to determine what each number will be.

The scoring for this event is similar to that of the "Beach Party Classic", with a lucky number being the highest score and so on. Each sub caption will have a different magic number. GE Music will have a different scale and magic number than GE Music, and the same goes for all other areas.

These are the captions that will affect your score and you need to submit them, with a random set of numbers:

General Effect Music

General Effect Visual

Music Ind

Music Ensemble

Visual Ind

Visual Ensemble

------------------------End of Application--------------------------------------

Percussion, Color Guard, and Brass are judged but are not factored into the overall score. These are judged by single individuals, who will give you a score for that area of emphasis which will tell you where you stand as a brassline within the DCPI rubric. The random number you chose, will relate to whatever score you get (just like the other captions)--except not factored into the total score. These sections are still helping produce the GE, Visual, and Music scores even though they are not directly placed on the spot. The judges of the above captions listed, are going to talk about Percussion, Color Guard, and Brass as they relate to their respective captions.

This scoring system keeps competition healthy at the early stages of the season, while everyone is still learning the show. We feelt it is best to evaluate the elements as they work together at this point, while having individual judges evaluate different captions (not having it affect the score at this point). Later in the season, it becomes neccessary to combine all scores into the full corps score, as the group will have a better understanding of how to perform the show, and no one section should be significantly lacking.

Penalties are only given to corps who submit after the deadline (May 12, 2007). Some values may also have penalties attached to them. An even number could have (.5, .75, or 1 point penalty attached to it), and an odd number could have (.25, 1, or 4 point penalty attached to it). Each "bad" number you choose, I will add them together for your total timing and penalties score. So if you choose 3 numbers that had penalties of .25, 1, and .5--your penalty would be 1.75

When the recaps are posted/announced you will see which numbers were good and bad. Also, the numbers will change for finals, meaning you can keep them the same, or resubmit something else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tri-Color is competing, but I am using a random number generator from the following site, to pick my captions. James McDonald (White Stars DBC) is also the one who showed the site to me. Feel free to use the site yourself!

http://www.random.org/nform.html

Registered Corps

Division III

Clarksville Guardians (Clarksville TN)

Florida Dragon Cadets (Sebastian FL)

Nastalgia Percussion Ensemble (Bowling Green KY)

Phantom Riders C (Petal MS)

Division II

Bleu Knights (Boise ID)

Canton Crusaders (Canton MI)

Emerald Regime (Greenwood IN - Exhibition)

Florida Dragon Regiment (Sebastian FL)

Les Blanc Chevalier (Montreal Quebec)

Nastalgia Vanguard (Bowling Green KY)

Division I

Florida Dragon Battalion (Sebastian FL)

INergy (Columbus IN)

Kosmos (Bloomington IN)

Macinac (Mackinaw MI)

Mystré (Las Vegas NV)

Nastalgia (Bowling Green KY)

Phantom Riders A (Petal MS)

Roselle Park Conquistadors (Roselle Park NJ)

Star of Jupiter (Jupiter FL)

Tri-Color (Champaign IL)

Velour Knights (Yorba Linda CA)

Washington County Kingsmen (Vernon FL)

White Stars (Denver CO)

Edited by Matthew

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judges for this event include:

Prelims

General Effect Music: Richard Saucedo

General Effect Visual: Ed Warren

Music Brass: Gino Cipriani

Music Ensemble: Mike Rubino

Percussion: Dan Bryan/J.J. Pipitone

Visual Performance: John Howell

Visual Ensemble: Shirlee Whitcomb

Visual Colorguard: Kathy Whitcomb

Semifinals

General Effect Music: Ken Turner

General Effect Visual: Curtis Costanza

Music Brass: Greg Hall

Music Ensemble: Mike Apodoca

Percussion: Scott Johnson/Bret Cappelutti

Visual Performance: Bob Thomas

Visual Ensemble: George Oliviaro

Visual Colorguard: Shirlee Whitcomb

Finals

General Effect Music: Mark Petrash

General Effect Visual: Mike Anderson

Music Brass: Amanda Drinkwater

Music Ensemble: Gordon Henderson

Percussion: Alan Kristensen/J.J. Pipitone

Visual Performance: Marie Czapinski

Visual Ensemble: Scott Pizzani

Visual Colorguard: Debbie Torchia

Chief Judge: Mike Rubino

Edited by Matthew

Quick update!

The judging/scoring system for this event has changed, but you do not have to resubmit captions.

I have decided to use the "Bands of America" scoring system, which takes out the individual caption judging for colorguard and percussion sections. Instead, it involves the entire program as a whole, and how it makes up the performance captions. Colorguard is factored into General Effect Visual, Visual Individual, and Visual Ensemble, while the percussion is factored into the General Effect Music, Music Individual, and Music Ensemble. There is no "brass" caption, because the brass score is now factored into the Music Performance and Music Individual score. All musicians play a vital role in all VISUAL captions, as well as MUSIC captions. The colorguard has the VISUAL and GENERAL EFFECT captions as their sole responsibilty.

This system is a great way to promote a unity between all areas of a performance ensemble--as it does not put pressure on one section to be better than the other. At this event, you will not hear "Oh the drums beat the hornline tonight" and other phrases that are common, when one finds out which section of a corps hurt the score. This puts everyone on the same playing field within the corps--instead of having competition within the competition.

I have devised an equation and scoring system which will incorporate the captions/values you sent me into the BOA scoring system, so you need not worry. Most placements were not affected, as the spreads remained the same in most cases, though some scores are much closer now. This system has been used in the past at this event, but we always have our own twist to it, so it is always fun!

Here are the captions being judged:

GENERAL EFFECT

General Effect Music - 40 points

General Effect Visual - 20 points

GE Total: 60

MUSIC PERFORMANCE

Music Individual - 20

Music Ensemble - 20

AVG Total: 20

VISUAL PERFORMANCE

Visual Individual - 20

Visual Ensemble - 20

AVG Total: 20

GE Total + Music Performance AVG Total + Visual Performance AVG Total + (penalties) = 100

We will award the following areas for captions:

Outstanding Visual Performance

Outstanding Music Performance

Outstanding General Effect

These next four captions are not based solely on caption selections, there will be a twist to how this is judged.

Best Drum Major

Outstanding Color Guard

Outstanding Brass

Outstanding Percussion

Edited by Matthew

Division II

Les Blanc Chevalier

If more corps don't compete in Division II, we aren't afraid of going Division I...

If more corps don't compete in Division II, we aren't afraid of going Division I...

There are quite a few more division II corps that have signed up, but I have not updated the roster. Some of your favorite competitors at this show, plus a few faces that bumped you out of DCPI-6 finals. Division II just keeps getting more competitive every season!

There are quite a few more division II corps that have signed up, but I have not updated the roster. Some of your favorite competitors at this show, plus a few faces that bumped you out of DCPI-6 finals. Division II just keeps getting more competitive every season!

Well then we will dig in for the battle!