Traditions

The Govies have had every type of uniform, from the cowboy outfits in the 40's to the cadet style in the 50's & 60's to the WW1 unis (complete with battle helmet) from the 20's. They did switch it up in the 70's (like everyone elce in America) to some type of zipped up jacket with a racing stripe (which now looks like our fleet) and police style hat. I thought we looked like some wacked out version of the Conn. Huricanes. In the 80's we had some wierd pullover thing with big sleeves with the black assie hat. Then in the 90's we went to what you see now, and still love the whole idea of no hats today.

Good luck, and if you make it to St.Peter, stop by Patrick's and say "HI"

John

Really! Have you ever worn a kilt John??

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not yet, but you never know.

Maybe a few of you guys want to come north and show us Govies the light.

Top 10 reasons to wear a kilt. Maybe we start with this. :P

ok

maybe i miss spoke

the question is.... was there ever a time when within a uniform there was individuality??

( i no there is a contrdiction in terms uniform-individualility)

like specifically pins, sashes, shoulder cords and the such

thanks guys

Are you really asking about the Uniforms we all wear? Or the uniformity? :doh::doh::doh:

I'm not really following the question you ae asking.....

If it's about the Uniforms, then with the Hawthorne Caballeros and the Caballero Alumni Corps, you can pretty much find the same Black Sombrero, same White Satin Shirt, same Black Belled Bottom pants with a kick pleat and same Red sash around the waist. Very unique in it's style and has been the same uniform for 60 years, if not close to it. (I dont believe this was their original uniform they wore right after they formed in 1946...but maybe a year or 2 after that).

"First Bellbottoms":

The actual "First" Caballeros uniforms (That they wore in public) were the military uniforms of the respective armed services that the "Original" Caballeros had been members of durring the Second World War. The "Foever" uniforms that the Caballeros (And later the Alumni) wear were inspired by the father of the late Caballeros founder-director Jim Costello. He remembered a "Spanish Styled" senior corps from California that he had seen compete in Legion Nationals "Way Back" in the 1930's. The corps decided on the "Bell's & Sombrero's" and the rest is history.

They sold a GREAT T-shirt years ago with that "Cab's in Service Uniforms" picture on it. :worthy:

I wish they would bring it back.

Elphaba

The Govies have had every type of uniform, from the cowboy outfits in the 40's to the cadet style in the 50's & 60's to the WW1 unis (complete with battle helmet) from the 20's. They did switch it up in the 70's (like everyone elce in America) to some type of zipped up jacket with a racing stripe (which now looks like our fleet) and police style hat. I thought we looked like some wacked out version of the Conn. Huricanes. In the 80's we had some wierd pullover thing with big sleeves with the black assie hat. Then in the 90's we went to what you see now, and still love the whole idea of no hats today.

Good luck, and if you make it to St.Peter, stop by Patrick's and say "HI"

John

I love the Governaires current uniforms. Classy and tastefully colourful.

ok

maybe i miss spoke

the question is.... was there ever a time when within a uniform there was individuality??

( i no there is a contrdiction in terms uniform-individualility)

like specifically pins, sashes, shoulder cords and the such

thanks guys

I'm still not sure people are understanding your question -- you may have to be very specific.

But, if I'm interpreting properly, then within DCI corps, the answer is no. Individual personalization of uniforms is not allowed. Certainly back during the old "tick system" when it could cost corps points. However, guard members might be allowed nowadays, but I wouldn't know. That much said, some corps do acknowledge age-outs during Finals by changing or adding something to the members' uniforms, such as a different plume color or citation cord. Within DCA corps, there seems to be more latitude, but it has to be subtle so as not to be seen by the audience or judges in the stands. I know some corps wear pins on their uniforms, so there may be some individuality there. But you never want to stand out enough that a judge can follow you and notice all your potential mistakes/ticks. It is a team activity, remember, not a showcase for individuals.

Does that answer your question?

Hurcs sing corps song after competing ... :rolleyes:

Gulf Coast Sound has the blue bonnet tartan thing, and a metal star. Although I don't think it's always been that way. They've also included a citation chord for five year members.

But I guess that depends on what you mean by uniform. Especially since with many units, the guard wears an entirely different uniform. While that may not have always been so, it is what it is these days.

The Guardsmen Drum & Bugle Corps had a few distinct uniform parts.

1) Section leaders had orange plumes.

2) Members with more than one year in the corps had "rank" patches that signified each year of marching on the sleeves.

3) All drum majors wore "Riding Boots" as in horse riding boots.

Are these the examples you are looking for?