"The Best #### Drum Corps Photo Ever" Contest

So I just submitted this idea to forzato@dci.org. It may have occurred before/happened already/already been suggested. I don't post that much or follow DCI.org closely so I wouldn't know.

Anyway; I remember that a huge source of fan involvement/commitment was the selection of shows for the DCI Top 12 countdown in theatres where fans could vote on their favourite shows etc.

And in watching copious amounts of Sports Highlights instead of doing schoolwork I randomly stumbled across this idea. Anyway, after looking at a particularly cool photo of Kiwanis from a few years ago with a lightning strike (real) right behind the corps as they were performing I sort of thought "I wonder what the coolest DCI photo ever taken is". We see tons of photos of what drum corps means to people from forzato, but there have to be some absolutely spectacular photos out there which haven't been seen, or featured yet.

Over the course of the season; say from move in until 3 weeks before finals have a competition where users submit photos of Drum Corps events, moments, etc, that are particularly moving/striking/representative of the activity. Have DCI narrow down those photos to what they believe are the top 64 entries from all received (yes, it will probably be a ton of work, but hey, such is the price paid for entertainment). Then similar to the NCAA tournament face the photos off head-to-head in a poll on DCI.org.

The structure would look something like this.

May 24th: first 16 photos go up (bracket of 8 pairs) 8 winners advance.

May 31: Next 16 phots up 8 advance

June 7th: Next 16, 8

Junt 14: 8 more winners (32 pictures remain)

June 21: Next 2 brackest (16 photos,8 winners)

June 28: Next two brackets 8 winners

Juny 4th: 8 winners, 16 photos

July 11: 4 winners, 8 photos

July 18th : 2 winners

July: 25th Winner announced; given pair of finals tickets or total finals vacation or something.

Obviously this can't happen this year; but I think it would be a cool way of keeping fans interested (may work better during the offseason).

The reason I structured it like this is that I felt that putting up 50-100 photos or more at once would be too overwhelming and no-one would actually take the time to screen the photos properly. If it's 16 pictures squaring off in pairs then 8 clicks is fully doable.

Users could submit their own photos of Particularly cool drum corps moments and perhaps the winning photo could be featured in a DCI brochure, website, or poster.

Anyway, lemme know what you think.

Cheers,

Love it! :worthy:

I say this is an EXCELLENT idea. This is, as you said, a good way to get the fans involved directly.

Brilliant idea. :worthy:

I hope they do this!

Good luck and let us know what they say.

Nice!

Considering that Bob Guinn, the Drum Major for the Madison Scouts 1997 show would obviously win, this contest is pretty much rigged B)

while I'm talking about it, that photo used to be up on the Madison Scouts webpage, but after they got the upgrade to the new webpage it's not there anymore. Anyone have a copy?

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

So I just submitted this idea to forzato@dci.org. It may have occurred before/happened already/already been suggested. I don't post that much or follow DCI.org closely so I wouldn't know.

Anyway; I remember that a huge source of fan involvement/commitment was the selection of shows for the DCI Top 12 countdown in theatres where fans could vote on their favourite shows etc.

And in watching copious amounts of Sports Highlights instead of doing schoolwork I randomly stumbled across this idea. Anyway, after looking at a particularly cool photo of Kiwanis from a few years ago with a lightning strike (real) right behind the corps as they were performing I sort of thought "I wonder what the coolest DCI photo ever taken is". We see tons of photos of what drum corps means to people from forzato, but there have to be some absolutely spectacular photos out there which haven't been seen, or featured yet.

Over the course of the season; say from move in until 3 weeks before finals have a competition where users submit photos of Drum Corps events, moments, etc, that are particularly moving/striking/representative of the activity. Have DCI narrow down those photos to what they believe are the top 64 entries from all received (yes, it will probably be a ton of work, but hey, such is the price paid for entertainment). Then similar to the NCAA tournament face the photos off head-to-head in a poll on DCI.org.

The structure would look something like this.

May 24th: first 16 photos go up (bracket of 8 pairs) 8 winners advance.

May 31: Next 16 phots up 8 advance

June 7th: Next 16, 8

Junt 14: 8 more winners (32 pictures remain)

June 21: Next 2 brackest (16 photos,8 winners)

June 28: Next two brackets 8 winners

Juny 4th: 8 winners, 16 photos

July 11: 4 winners, 8 photos

July 18th : 2 winners

July: 25th Winner announced; given pair of finals tickets or total finals vacation or something.

Obviously this can't happen this year; but I think it would be a cool way of keeping fans interested (may work better during the offseason).

The reason I structured it like this is that I felt that putting up 50-100 photos or more at once would be too overwhelming and no-one would actually take the time to screen the photos properly. If it's 16 pictures squaring off in pairs then 8 clicks is fully doable.

Users could submit their own photos of Particularly cool drum corps moments and perhaps the winning photo could be featured in a DCI brochure, website, or poster.

Anyway, lemme know what you think.

Cheers,

One of the BEST ideas I've ever heard. Let's get this thing rolling!!!!