Do you think that a corps revival

In reading another thread about ressurecting old corps, I started thinking that may be difficult since 'Senior corps' have turned 'All-Age'. In other words, could the Muchachos draw in Hawthorne without hurting the Cabs or vice versa? Yes, there are many benefits in certain areas to 'All-Age' but just wondering about your opinions out there.

IMO, it's different talent pools

A youth wanting to march All-age typically has some reason they can't march a junior corps (time, money, experience, other committments).

Sure there are just some who prefer All-age as well

I think the bigger impact can be on volunteerism. I know Frontier members have volunteered at various junior corps camps, and as they travel through Dallas, and I think many of them would be supportive if a junior corps started in the Dallas area.

I think you will see some potential volunteers for a junior corps have to choose between marching themselves in an All-age corps, and volunteering. Though it is possible to do both (as I mentioned Frontier members doing).

I don't think it is ever easy to have two corps in the same city, regardless of size, division, talent, etc... but there are lots of examples of it working well for 1 or all corps, and great examples of it killing 1 or all corps.

In reading another thread about ressurecting old corps, I started thinking that may be difficult since 'Senior corps' have turned 'All-Age'. In other words, could the Muchachos draw in Hawthorne without hurting the Cabs or vice versa? Yes, there are many benefits in certain areas to 'All-Age' but just wondering about your opinions out there.

Just to clear up any misconceptions, the only thing that changed between 'Senior' and 'All Age' is the words. Lot of "Senior" corps had under 21 members if they needed the warm bodies bad enough. (I started Senior corps at age 16.) When Muchachos were going strong bith Cabs and Sky were 21 and over only and had ex-Muchachos age into both corps.

Reason for the name change was to make it easier for under 21 folks to realize they could do "Senior" corps. Same reason why some "Alumni" corps have dropped the Alumni part of the name as some have open membership rules. (shameless plug) *gasp* Some "Alumni corps also have members under 21 years of age....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I would say that today it's quite the opposite. There are and were many DCI kids who got their Drum Corps jump start in DCA. The corps' took them in, showed them the ropes, and then they plunged into DCI before they aged out and went back to DCA later. Happens all the time.

I would say no. Putting together a junior corps has a high initial cost. Senior corps also have a lot of options to enter into the arena, like minicorps or parade corps that will fit into members' schedules. The juniors don't have this flexibility.