1977 Oakland Crusaders Percussion

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/19770817div1prelims.htm

All I can say is WOW! Looking at the recap and seeing the 15th place corps who was 21st in marching win high drums OVERALL, makes a huge statement about the tick system. I had heard about Bridgemen winning drums from 13th but not the Crusaders. Where can I find a copy of this? Please enlighten me with your personal experience in viewing this line. This was before my time and I never had the pleasure of witnessing it. I know it was a Tom Float line and one of his first as an instructor. Hit me with it!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That line is legendary. Amazing that they were so low in GE Drums. This anomaly tended to happen fairly often during the tic system days.

Check out 1973 DCI Prelims. Mariners finished in 30th place. Side one M&M Execution (Kazazian) they finished in 22nd place. Side 2 (Piekarski) they were..... FIRST! Unbelievable!

Guess they put all the good marchers on side 2!

My snare tech at Emerald Knights marched in that snare line - he would always talk about how they sat in the stands at finals, #####ing about how Devils were going to win drums that night, because the rest of their corps didn't make finals.

Must have been something about the 70s and drum lines.

The 1975 DCA season closed very tight between Buccs, Cabs and Skyliners. End of Finals the monsoons hit and the scores were announced to an empty field. The top captions were split between Sky (horns), Cabs (M&M) and Buccs (GE). Everyone figured that one of these three would take top drums (announced last to add to the suspense) and would probably be the winner.

Then we all heard "....top drum line.... the Baltimore Yankee Rebels..".

Loudest freakin' crowd response think I ever heard.

Yeah, Rebs came in 6th that night and two years later was gone... :(

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I've heard that Oakland show, and man, it's hard. They had very high Exposure to Error content.

Bridgemen never finished 13th or won drums from there (except maybe in a regional). They won drums in 1982 from the 8th spot.

All I can say is WOW! Looking at the recap and seeing the 15th place corps who was 21st in marching win high drums OVERALL, makes a huge statement about the tick system. I had heard about Bridgemen winning drums from 13th but not the Crusaders. Where can I find a copy of this? Please enlighten me with your personal experience in viewing this line. This was before my time and I never had the pleasure of witnessing it. I know it was a Tom Float line and one of his first as an instructor. Hit me with it!

Thank you for remembering one of the all-time great drum lines! :)

If you go to the De La Salle/Oakland Crusaders alumni website, then click on the "Galleries" link, you'll find some interesting historical tidbits. Unfortunately, I don't see a sound file listed there for that year. (John, help?) But, if you click on the "Stories submitted" link and then "1977 Crusaders," you'll find this story by our own John "Sarnia Sam" Swartz.

Life's little ironies:The first time I ever heard about Oakland winning drums was in the 78 DCI Yearbook (which I bought in 80). It states the simple fact of what happened at prelims. And who's in the picture? A HORN PLAYER.

Way to pay attention, copy editors.

Edited by tommytimp

Life's little ironies:The first time I ever heard about Oakland winning drums was in the 78 DCI Yearbook (which I bought in 80). It states the simple fact of what happened at prelims. And who's in the picture? A HORN PLAYER.

Way to pay attention, copy editors.

LOL, ain't that the truth! I'd never thought of that before, but you are so right! Oh, well. :doh:

I hope that's a good statement about the tick system. It gave a truer reading of who could drum. Worm can opened.

There are copies floating around out there. Maybe one day soon I'll get my copy posted on the Del website.

Never saw the line, except one show I had to sit out in Glenwood Springs. I don't know what I can say about the line that wouldn't be biased, but I'm glad I didn't go to Madison that year like I had originaly intended.

Float was with Freelancers in 75, Oaklands 76 & 77, Spirit 78, etc.

Every time I listen to our 78 show I keep thinking we were cleaner in 78.

Regards,

John Swartz

My snare tech at Emerald Knights marched in that snare line - he would always talk about how they sat in the stands at finals, #####ing about how Devils were going to win drums that night, because the rest of their corps didn't make finals.

Uh-huh. But then, people wouldn't think we are legendary. That kind of makes up for it.

Regards,

John Swartz

Edited by sarnia sam