Mello Mouthpieces...HELP!

well let me just start out by saying im new to this website...Anyway i absolutely love DCI and everything about it my fav corps are carolina crown and BD well im in the 8th grade and i participated in my high school marching band this past season and i loved playing mellophone and so this year i switched to french horn (from trumpet) and ive gotten use to the horn mouthpiece and idk wht 2 do 4 the upcoming marching season i played on a bach 3C last year im horriable at it now so should i go and play on a horn mouthpiece w/ an adapter or go out and get an actual mello mouthpiece or rebuild my chops on a trumpet mouthpiece?( i plan on staying w/ horn for the next symph season) i e mailed my instructor and he said playing w/ an adapter would be the "hardest" even tho not sure wht he ment and while thinking of mello mouthpieces i no crown likes the UMI 1736 any other good mello mouthpieces out there? plz help me give me ur suggestions or advice thanks!![/font]

Addison:

a ) BREATHE!!!

b ) For all our santiy, PLEASE LEARN TO USE A PERIOD!!!! :P

If you are going to make horn your primary instrument, I would use a horn mouthpiece an adaptor. Keep in mind that it will sound like crap since those intstruments are not designed for that mouthpiece and they do not resonate the same way. However, there is a such a major difference in the embouchures of the two that, especially considering your young age, I would stick to one or the other.

Edited by usmpiano

srry i am use to talking w/ my friends and we dont use correct grammar when we talk

You could make the horn mouthpiece work.

Yes. Periods are great. They are very much like a cadence in music. I found myself reading faster and faster thinking I was going to run out of breath! :P

Edited by ravedodger

LOL!!! You're killing me! :lolhit:

well let me just start out by saying im new to this website...Anyway i absolutely love DCI and everything about it my fav corps are carolina crown and BD well im in the 8th grade and i participated in my high school marching band this past season and i loved playing mellophone and so this year i switched to french horn (from trumpet) and ive gotten use to the horn mouthpiece and idk wht 2 do 4 the upcoming marching season i played on a bach 3C last year im horriable at it now so should i go and play on a horn mouthpiece w/ an adapter or go out and get an actual mello mouthpiece or rebuild my chops on a trumpet mouthpiece?( i plan on staying w/ horn for the next symph season) i e mailed my instructor and he said playing w/ an adapter would be the "hardest" even tho not sure wht he ment and while thinking of mello mouthpieces i no crown likes the UMI 1736 any other good mello mouthpieces out there? plz help me give me ur suggestions or advice thanks!![/font]

I was a perc player, so I can't really give you any technical advice. However you might want to try DCP's Brass Forum. Most of the people there are both knowlegable and helpful. Hope that helps and good luck. :)

Very quick answer.......... It depends what your plans are. If you wish to one day play Mellophone with a drum corps, you should learn to play the French Horn mouthpiece for concert season and a Mello 6 (similar to a Bach 3C Trumpet mouthpiece and available at most music stores) during marching season. If you play your Horn mouthpiece during marching season with an adapter, you will not only set yourself up for failure when you DO audition for a drum corps (most use a tradition style Mello mouthpiece), you will also battle some fierce intonation issues (especially if some are using adapters and some regular Mello mouthpieces).

I hope this helps.............

If you appreciate range, I'd shoot for a mello mouthpiece (probably a 6V). They provide the tone of a french horn with the range of a trumpet. However, some of the best third mellophone players i've heard play on french horn mouthpieces and adapters, it gives a nice dark resonant horn sound for the rest of the mello line to build from. If you've shaken the trumpet tendency to play higher and louder, then nothing will help your band's mello section like providing a solid third-part foundation on a mouthpiece that you are already comfortable with.

Untill you've built your chops up, stay on a horn mouthpiece. Holton MDC is a good mouthpiece for younger players. Once your playing and chops have matured you'll be able to handle the switching back and forth between a mello and horn mouthpiece. Once you're ready for a mello mouthpiece, the IYM mello mouthpiece is a great investment. Best on the market, IMO. If you have any questions along the way, check with your band director or private lessons teacher.

Good choice, making the switch, btw.