40 YEARS IN DRUM CORPS

One of the ways the Buccaneers will be celebrating our 50th anniversary, in addition to a wonderful field show, is with the inaugural issue of what we hope will be a recurring newsletter. In that newsletter we will feature stories that help our readers get an understanding of what makes drum corps special and what makes our organization unique. We hope it will help us reach an ever-widening audience and introduce more people to our great activity.

We're thrilled beyond measure that our 50th anniversary coincides not only with Corps Director Jimmy Gruber's 50th birthday, but baritone player Walter Street's 40th consecutive year in the activity. We're proud that Walt is a Buccaneer and will be celebrating this milestone in Blue.

The article below, actually more my summary of an interview with Walter, will appear in the first issue of the newsletter, and I hope it gives you a glimpse into what a great guy Walter really is.

40 Years in the Activity: Walter Street, Buccaneer

by Tom Moore

At 53, Walter Street is used to hearing playful jabs about his age from fellow Buccaneers horn players less than half his age. The jokes usually stop, of course, when members learn – very quickly – that emulating Walt’s dedication, determination, work ethic and character will stand them in good stead for the rest of their lives. This summer, as the Buccaneers celebrate their 50th anniversary, Walt will be celebrating his 40th consecutive year in drum corps.

Street is band director at Avonworth High School in the Pittsburgh suburbs, where he lives with Kathy, his wife of 33 years. They are the parents of five children, three of whom they adopted, ranging in age from six to thirty. All but the youngest are actively involved in musical pursuits. Walt and Kathy were married before Walt’s senior year at Geneva College, where he earned a BS in music education, with a concentration in baritone/euphonium. His life is characterized by his relationship with Kathy, his family, his devotion to education and his passionate dedication to drum corps.

Since 1967, Street has been active in both performing and teaching capacities in numerous drum corps: Cambria Cadets, Finleyville Royal Crusaders, Ohio Brass Factory, Steel City Ambassadors, Westshoremen, Sound Wave, Grey Knights, Allegheny Night Storm, Silver Sabres, General Butler Vagabonds, Rochester Crusaders and, since 2005, the Reading Buccaneers. Street recalls attending a drum corps show in Clearfield, PA during his youth and being drawn to the sheer volume of the brass sound produced by the Cambria Cadets. “That moment made me want to be in the corps – and my involvement n the corps at a young age made me want to be a music teacher,” said Street.

So what is it about drum corps that keeps Street coming back year after year – particularly given the physical, time, emotional and financial demands inherent in the activity? “Drum corps keeps me young.” Street said. “It keeps me fit. I need to take good care of myself in order to function properly in the activity. As a musician, I love performing at the highest caliber and experiencing the emotion of the music and the reaction of the audience. Drum corps is a total spectacle, and adding the demanding visual element to the music makes it unique. To play and march with professionalism is a challenge.”

It’s all the more special to Street to be able to share the experience with his kids. His son Adam, 27, is also in his third year in the Buccaneers, where he plays percussion. His son Paul has also been involved in the activity. “I love being able to pass on my love for drum corps to my kids and to be able to march with them,” said Street. “It’s a great bonding experience. As a parent, I love seeing my children grow as people. The activity teaches discipline, independence, accountability and teamwork, among other things. I think my kids are better people and will be better parents because of what they learned in corps.”

But drum corps hasn’t just helped Walt’s kids grow into great adults – it’s also helped Street grow himself as a person and as a professional. “Drum corps is tons of fun. I get to meet lots of interesting people from all walks of life, travel and perform for appreciative fans in a genre that’s tailor-made to produce excitement and emotion. I’m learning all the time; I have a natural curiosity which is enabled by drum corps,” said Street.

“I’m still growing as a musician. I’m in an activity that promotes the highest caliber of musicianship – the focus on tone quality, air control, skills exercises and performance qualities has made me a better player. I’m constantly exposed to the latest styles and approaches so my teaching stays fresh and current. And since I’m a performer my teaching is more effective. I’m teaching young people good habits from the start. As a Buccaneer, I’m being taught by some of the best teachers in the activity. I take their methods to achieve success and mold them to fit my own personality. That makes me better at what I do.”

After thirty-nine years in the activity, Street has enough experience to be a sophisticated and choosy consumer. So why would he drive four hours each way with his son to and from Reading on weekends to be part of the Balance in Blue? “I knew that the Bucs offered a consistently high-quality experience – from program, instructional and administrative standpoints. I also liked the classical and symphonic style the Buccaneers feature,” said Street. When asked about his experience as a Buccaneer, Steet said, “It’s been a great experience. I like being a part of the program and pushing myself to achieve new things. Winning a world championship is great too, of course, but I came to the Buccaneers to be part of the overall program and it’s exceeded my expectations.”

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a cool story.

I started marching in 1964 and have been doing it ever since. That's a long time. In junior corps it was definitely the striving for excellence and learning how to make things perfect.

When I joined Reading Buccaneers in 1975, it was about putting all I learned in junior corps to the test. Because of the limited practice time involved in senior corps you are more individually responsible for the perfection of your performance.

Starting my own business meant I could no longer commit to the field corps schedule and I switched to the Buccaneer Alumni Corps, because I...well, pretty much just for the free beer. i kid, i kid.

Congratulations Walter! I know you guys will have another stellar year!

Edited by Martybucs

Tom:

Great person to write a story about and his accomplishments are many. Walt truly is a role model.

Quite an inspiration for me!

Dave Faust

Reading Buccaneers

1982 Percussion

2006 Tuba (until Wildwood)

2007 Tuba

Tom:

Great person to write a story about and his accomplishments are many. Walt truly is a role model.

Quite an inspiration for me!

Dave Faust

Reading Buccaneers

1982 Percussion

2006 Tuba (until Wildwood)

2007 Tuba

I agree.

You're not such a bad inspiration either, Dave!

Happy anniversary, Walt!

Congrats and Happy Anniversary Walt! What a joy and pleasure to be on the field with you!!

*sniff*

I knew him when he was only this high......

our paths crossed many times over that 40 years, and I have to say that he and his whole family have been true drum corps inspirations all through those years as performers, supporters, and as plain down to earth good people.

Congrats Walt - and please march one more year so we can get the families together again at a show or two next year.

Walt is the man.

btw, if you listen to 1989 Steel City, after his solo at the beginning of Malaga you can hear someone yell "Yea Walt!"

His solos in that show (including a killer in Blue Bossa) should have won him the soloist award that year, no doubt.

Also heard one year at I&E there was an extra slot so walt went out to his car, unprepared and played Carnival of Venice and placed 2nd.

Edited by BucsBuff

Hey Walt,

My opinion on your time in grade as a drumcorps member only gets better with age/participation/commitment/and love for the activity....I have known Walter and his family for a few years now and as the saying goes.."Things get better with age" applies to Walter and his commitment to excellence within the music field.....My appreciation for a fellow member of Steel City only grows with his teachings and participation in a program that you love from start to finish....I tip my hat to Kathy for her tolerance and patience while gladly permitting her family members to travel the country to persue this crazy drumcorps addiction and the time she has devoted to her other family ....Walter Street is a true gentleman and scholar and there aren't many of us left....Have fun Walt, enjoy the experience with the Balance in Blue, I'll see "yunz" at the Spring Classic, and you owe me a beverage after the show....

Yours in drumcorps...

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

Having marched with Walt in OBF for three years I know what a great guy and exceptional horn player he is. We have seen each other off on on in DCA since and he still is one of the coolest guys in corps. I too have been marching and with corps since 68 and have met many many people outstanding individuals but Walt is one of the BEST! Congrats Walt! (how come we're not in DCHOF yet...we're old enough and have been around since the rams horn and hollow log...lol) Go Bucs. :worthy: