Classic Countdown Suggestion

Here is an idea for the next classic countdown. Have the fans select their favorite: colorguard, drumline, hornline, GE, crowd appealing, best musical book, best drill, and most innovative shows from any era.

My choice would be:

Best colorguard- 27th Lancers (1980)- perfection

Best drumline- Blue Devils (1986)- clean as a whistle

Best hornline- Cavaliers (2002)- intonation, balance, and musically outstanding

Best GE- Star of Indiana (1991)- with the George Zingali drill that was mindboggling/ mello runs that so demanding.

Best Crown pleasing show- Madison Scouts (1988)- what can I say about "Malaguena"? or 1977 Bridgemen- good old fun show.

Best music book- Phantom Regiment (1989)- New World Symphony was fantastic.

Best Drill- Garfield Cadets (1984)- This drill fit the music to a "T". Everything was so well coordinated.

Most Innovative- Santa Clara Vanguard (1980)- the drill that started it all for the future. At the time, judges didn't understand it, which probably helped them get a 7th place finish. Pete Emmons started the asymetrical stuff with this show.

What do you think?

Edited by cavies79

some major, not cosmetic, format changes need to take place if this Classic Countdown is to continue it seems to me. DCI can't have crowd attendance drop off so dramatically like this. Your suggestion would be a step in the right direction.

My suggestion would be to take some sustained highlight elements from Corps from the inception of DCI to the present, and go with something like that. Maybe more clips from some corps than others, but make it inclusive of more Corps, instead of the same Corps all the time. Additionally, pehaps a judge or two could do some stop action video, and highlight what features were done so creatively, or done so well executuon wise, that points were given to the Corps because of it. Make the format inclusive, entertaining, and educational, and that would seem like a winning formula. Don't get me wrong, listening to Cesario talk about '89 SCV's classic show" Phantom of the Opera " is nice and all, but after awhile it's like watching the movie " Groundhog Day" again and listening to the same movie critic gush about the movie...........again.

Edited by X DM

some format changes need to take place if this Classic Countdown is to continue it seems to me. DCI can't have crod attendance drop off so dramatically like this.

Did DCI make some sort of announcement on the overall attendance of the Classic Countdown that I missed somewhere??

As much as I love BD, Cadets, Cavies, Madison, Phaontom, and SCV I agree that DCI needs a new format with more variety. There are so many other good corps past and present that deserve their time on the big screen.

I like that idea! It would be like so many threads here on DCP, but actually with a purpose to it. :P

I'd actually base my vote on which shows entertained me the most, for each caption, trying to stick to the "one corps, one show" rule. Not sure what categories would be available, but I'll go with your selections:

Best colorguard: Madison Scouts 1997

Best drumline: Cadets 2005

Best hornline: Blue Devils 2004

Best GE: Cavaliers 2002

Best Crowd pleasing show: Phantom Regiment 2006

Best music book: Santa Clara Vanguard 2000

Best Drill: Bluecoats 2003

Most Innovative: Star 1993

So probably not the "bests" in each category, but some of my favorite shows that were especially strong in the category given. Honestly, this is a pretty #### amazing list, I would pay just about whatever DCI chose to charge to see this line-up.

Did DCI make some sort of announcement on the overall attendance of the Classic Countdown that I missed somewhere??

Not sure DCI has those figures yet. Most of it is based on anecdotal evidence from other movie venues I've read about. In my theatre, each of the years I've attended, attendance has slipped dramatically each year.

What was the attendance like at your theatre, rut-roh ? Was it up or down compared to other years ?

Edited by X DM

Not sure DCI has those figures yet. Most of it is based on anecdotal evidence from other movie venues I've read about. In my theatre, each of the years I've attended, attendance has slipped dramatically each year.

What was the attendance like at your theatre, rut-roh ? Was it up or down compared to other years ?

[/quote

For us here in Laredo, Tx., this was the first year of being able to see it at the theatre. Not a bad turnout, not full, but ok.

Here is an idea for the next classic countdown. Have the fans select their favorite: colorguard, drumline, hornline, GE, crowd appealing, best musical book, best drill, and most innovative shows from any era.

My choice would be:

Best colorguard- 27th Lancers (1980)- perfection

Best drumline- Blue Devils (1986)- clean as a whistle

Best hornline- Cavaliers (2002)- intonation, balance, and musically outstanding

Best GE- Star of Indiana (1991)- with the George Zingali drill that was mindboggling/ mello runs that so demanding.

Best Crown pleasing show- Madison Scouts (1988)- what can I say about "Malaguena"? or 1977 Bridgemen- good old fun show.

Best music book- Phantom Regiment (1989)- New World Symphony was fantastic.

Best Drill- Garfield Cadets (1984)- This drill fit the music to a "T". Everything was so well coordinated.

What do you think?

Maedhros

I'd actually base my vote on which shows entertained me the most, for each caption, trying to stick to the "one corps, one show" rule. Not sure what categories would be available, but I'll go with your selections:

Best colorguard: Madison Scouts 1997

Best drumline: Cadets 2005

Best hornline: Blue Devils 2004

Best GE: Cavaliers 2002

Best Crowd pleasing show: Phantom Regiment 2006

Best music book: Santa Clara Vanguard 2000

Best Drill: Bluecoats 2003

Most Innovative: Star 1993

In general I like this idea. But look at your list and think of the shows already shown in the classic countdown. Several of these shows have already been shown 1 or 2 times.

I don't have any good ideas at the moment but I'd like a format that gives some others corps, past and present, a chance at the big screen.

(by the way, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your list or choices, just pointing out many of those shows have already been shown.)