Why write reviews?

Maybe some have misunderstood my point. That’s probably my fault; I am not a professional writer, as if you couldn’t tell.

I am not saying that people should not write reviews. I look forward to reading them especially if I could not attend that show. I give the review writers much credit for putting their opinion in text, knowing that there will be some that are offended by their opinions.

I guess the subject on my post should read “Give a Round of Applause for Review Writers”

It often takes a brave soul to write an honest review and an even braver one to read it and react with maturity and grace.

Knowing Duke the way I do, I would say that he meant that people should not "beg" or "prod" for reviews, expecting that everyone felt the same way the corps members (and staff) perhaps felt about their group's performance. At least that is what I think is being inferred. I have talked to Duke on the phone since then, and that is what I got from it.

There may be individuals that didnt quite think that it was as good as others, and if we expect that the public opinion will be ALL favorable, sometimes our expectations cannot possibly be met. I have done this myself in the past. I want everyone to love the corps or performance, when in fact I have been let down that not everyone in the world felt the same way.

Am I correct my good friend?

Donny

Knowing Duke the way I do, I would say that he meant that people should not "beg" or "prod" for reviews, expecting that everyone felt the same way the corps members (and staff) perhaps felt about their group's performance. At least that is what I think is being inferred. I have talked to Duke on the phone since then, and that is what I got from it.

There may be individuals that didnt quite think that it was as good as others, and if we expect that the public opinion will be ALL favorable, sometimes our expectations cannot possibly be met. I have done this myself in the past. I want everyone to love the corps or performance, when in fact I have been let down that not everyone in the world felt the same way.

Am I correct my good friend?

Donny

That's correct, Joe. I couldn't have said it better.

Thanks Joe!

• 2 weeks later...
It often takes a brave soul to write an honest review and an even braver one to read it and react with maturity and grace.

Have to agree with both of these points. And we DON'T see many reviews, possibly because they ARE sometimes hard to take (and taken hard) - especially when the reviewer is unafraid to write his/her true perceptions.

Still, as a fan, I like to read detailed, frank reviews on shows that I can't get to see.

And Donny is absolutely right: We should be careful about what we ask for - our own perceptions (about our groups) are certainly biased, and we might be surprised and disappointed by what others might have to say.

That said: as a performer, I still want to know what people outside the organization think of a performance. Even if it may be tough to hear.

Edited by brassomaniac