Where did the thread on drugs in drum corps go?

How consistent is the enforcement of this policy?

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...showtopic=95992

I easily just found this thread that has been active for 2 weeks. Certainly there are more.

Good point. I see DCA threads (and aren't many of those all-age corps?) all the time talking about drinking.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The clear difference between those two threads is this:

Nowhere in the VT thread was anyone condoning the events of that day.

There WERE people in the drugs thread condoning the use of drugs.

I've seen a multitude of threads over the years where individual posts were deleted from a thread but the thread was kept going for the greater good. Surely the same could be done here.

Edited by rut-roh

Guys - first of all, calm down. A lot of us are just getting around to seeing this thread, so all of the Bueller comments really aren't necessary - especially since a lot of us have day jobs in addition to the volunteer moderating on this website.

Secondly - while there may have been some good discussion going on in the thread, the bottom line is that there was talk of illegal activity occurring in the thread, and while some of it was posted by people who have since bettered their lives after their decisions in the past, we at Drum Corps Planet do not condone or promote any illegal activity - period. Underage drinking, any use of drugs, or any of the sort - especially in the drum corps activity, are things that we don't support, nor do we wish to have our name connected to this. After all - not only do members and parents read this, but so do show sponsors, administrative people, and people who may financially have an impact on this activity, and reading something like this may cause them to renege on any sponsorship or support they may have of the activity - and I'm sure neither you guys, nor I, nor the rest of the moderation team wants to see that happen, correct?

While I personally apologize that this is the way you guys had to discover that the thread was removed, I do not, however, apologize for the removal of the thread by the moderation team - it was a team decision after much discussion.

Please feel free to send any more questions our way in this thread. I will leave it open for such discussion, but I again ask you to keep your questions reasonable, as that's what the moderation team is here to do - answer your concerns as needed.

Thanks.

Jami, I respect you greatly as a person, but you really must be kidding on this. This activity MUST address this issue. Ignoring it and sticking our heads in the sand is absolutely reprehensible. This forum is the most widely known communication avenue in the drum corps activity and it has an extremely diverse representation of decades of drum corps experience. This is exactly the place this discussion should begin. The illegal rule thing is simply a cop out. There are posts all over this forum where people talk about their underage drinking exploits, stealing "souvenirs" on tour, speeding buses (it is illegal), and various other things. The truth is, the powers that be have dropped the hammer because God forbid anybody would know there are drugs in DCI.

So there is my concern and here is my question. Will the moderation team now be searching every single thread on this board and removing each and every thread that has reference to illegal activity or will you admit that the only illegal activity that really isn't open for discussion is drugs?

I've seen a multitude of threads over the years where individual posts were deleted from a thread. Surely the same could be done here.

Perhaps you're right. I'll take a look at the thread (though probably not till tonight when I get home).

Jami, I respect you greatly as a person, but you really must be kidding on this. This activity MUST address this issue. Ignoring it and sticking our heads in the sand is absolutely reprehensible. This forum is the most widely known communication avenue in the drum corps activity and it has an extremely diverse representation of decades of drum corps experience. This is exactly the place this discussion should begin. The illegal rule thing is simply a cop out. There are posts all over this forum where people talk about their underage drinking exploits, stealing "souvenirs" on tour, speeding buses (it is illegal), and various other things. The truth is, the powers that be have dropped the hammer because God forbid anybody would know there are drugs in DCI.

So there is my concern and here is my question. Will the moderation team now be searching every single thread on this board and removing each and every thread that has reference to illegal activity or will you admit that the only illegal activity that really isn't open for discussion is drugs?

Jeff -

It is humanly impossible to search each and every thread on this forum with talk about illegal activity. If someone is offended by something in a thread and reports it, then yes, we will take a look at it and decide the course of action from there.

As a response to everyone - you guys scream and yell about consistency. The bottom line is this: we can only stay consistent with our guidelines if we are consistently given the reports to see.

The moderation team can only be as strong as the members who report the posts.

I wrote this great response. Than I hit reply and the thread was locked. I'm glad it's at least open again. :)

Me too - don't feel bad :lookaround:

Good point. I see DCA threads (and aren't many of those all-age corps?) all the time talking about drinking.

All DCA corps should have rules in place that keep their underagers from drinking. I know my corps does.

I also know for a fact that if I read any post on here made by someone who I know for a fact is underage, it gets deleted and they get told about it.

And it's responses like this that fuel the fire and make my job more difficult. Thanks Steve. I appreciate it.

I was just bringing up the inconsistancies of the application of the DCP guidelines and one of the reason DCP uses. Of course you just brought up the other which is sponcership/money. If we can't talk freely about these issues that did and do exist then DCP is not doing their job as being a forum of ideas. Even newspapers put out contriversal articles and, yeah, a few do exercise their rights to complain about it. But in the whole scheme of things, the information and discussion got out there and people were talking about it. I'm not screaming 1st Amendment issue here because it's not, it's about something that is part of drum corps whether we want to admit it or not. We can't hide our head in the sand and it's not a DCP Community topic either.

So either DCP applies the guideline across the board, no matter the subject, or it just moderates the innappropriate parts (not closing it unless the author requests it or it get's out of hand). Hate to say it but life isn't all rosy like we want it to be. Drum corps have a dark side also.

The moderation team can only be as strong as the members who report the posts.

This is still not my great post from before. :P

The issue with the sentance is that most of the dcp community was in on the discussion, from all the different points. Nobody was going to report it for two reasons. One, the moderators were in and out so much you'd have thought the topic was "Where to go to get free money for DCP moderators!" and two, everyone was so involved in it, there was nothing to report. I don't think anyone was so disgusted by the topic that it needed any reporting. Close monitoring, sure and you guys were all over that. The thread wast just handled poorly I feel. Specific posts could have used to have been deleted, but the topic itself I feel is something that could have used discussion. This wasn't another lame amp debate. This was a real life topic, and something that I think all sides of the arguement were learning something about, and trying to decide where do we go from here.