Where did the thread on drugs in drum corps go?

We can't discuss substance. That's what got the first thread deleted.

It was interesting to see how people in and out of corps were viewing it. Personally I never saw it in the juniors except for when finals where in Montreal (drinking age and beer, nothing illegal). I had only heard about it in the western corps. It was a very enlightening topic. Did somewhere along the way the topic got to graphic or turned into personal attacks? :lookaround:

Edited by sburstall

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys - first of all, calm down. A lot of us are just getting around to seeing this thread, so all of the Bueller comments really aren't necessary - especially since a lot of us have day jobs in addition to the volunteer moderating on this website.

Secondly - while there may have been some good discussion going on in the thread, the bottom line is that there was talk of illegal activity occurring in the thread, and while some of it was posted by people who have since bettered their lives after their decisions in the past, we at Drum Corps Planet do not condone or promote any illegal activity - period. Underage drinking, any use of drugs, or any of the sort - especially in the drum corps activity, are things that we don't support, nor do we wish to have our name connected to this. After all - not only do members and parents read this, but so do show sponsors, administrative people, and people who may financially have an impact on this activity, and reading something like this may cause them to renege on any sponsorship or support they may have of the activity - and I'm sure neither you guys, nor I, nor the rest of the moderation team wants to see that happen, correct?

While I personally apologize that this is the way you guys had to discover that the thread was removed, I do not, however, apologize for the removal of the thread by the moderation team - it was a team decision after much discussion.

Please feel free to send any more questions our way in this thread. I will leave it open for such discussion, but I again ask you to keep your questions reasonable, as that's what the moderation team is here to do - answer your concerns as needed.

Thanks.

Moved to customer service.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...?act=boardrules

The thread in question pretty clearly violated the above quoted part of CG...many times quite explicity.

I didn't read all of the original thread (not even close), so I'm curious--did it link to illegal activity? Surely context would play into how the "reference" rule would apply. (Clearly the Virginia Tech thread also references illegal activity.) I can see how a parent or rookie might be curious to see what others on this board were saying on the subject.

Edited by year1buick

Not that I saw, and I was trying to follow it best I could. It was a great discussion and something that NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED. It was the first time in a long time on here I saw multiple view points discussing something without it getting very nasty.

Please read Jami's post....

the entire thread referenced illegal activity, which is against our guidelines.

Guys - first of all, calm down. A lot of us are just getting around to seeing this thread, so all of the Bueller comments really aren't necessary - especially since a lot of us have day jobs in addition to the volunteer moderating on this website.

Secondly - while there may have been some good discussion going on in the thread, the bottom line is that there was talk of illegal activity occurring in the thread, and while some of it was posted by people who have since bettered their lives after their decisions in the past, we at Drum Corps Planet do not condone or promote any illegal activity - period. Underage drinking, any use of drugs, or any of the sort - especially in the drum corps activity, are things that we don't support, nor do we wish to have our name connected to this. After all - not only do members and parents read this, but so do show sponsors, administrative people, and people who may financially have an impact on this activity, and reading something like this may cause them to renege on any sponsorship or support they may have of the activity - and I'm sure neither you guys, nor I, nor the rest of the moderation team wants to see that happen, correct?

While I personally apologize that this is the way you guys had to discover that the thread was removed, I do not, however, apologize for the removal of the thread by the moderation team - it was a team decision after much discussion.

Please feel free to send any more questions our way in this thread. I will leave it open for such discussion, but I again ask you to keep your questions reasonable, as that's what the moderation team is here to do - answer your concerns as needed.

Thanks.

At least now, we have an answer. Why was this not posted in the first place? And why did it take almost 2 full days before it was decided against? I know many moderators were in and out on it the whole time, as would be expected. My question to you first and foremost I guess is why was the thread handled this way, or could in the future there be a better way to handle it? I would like to think so at least. As I have said, it was a good and important discussion. And if any show sponsors or something were to read that and find that to be earth shattering news, I'd be very surprised. Drug use in drum corps is no different than any other demographic in the US. There's going to be a few that do it. Most of us, never even try it. But that thread was talking about different ways things have gone about, possible solutions, if it was even an issue. That's important discussion really I think.

Let me break this down into parts.

At least now, we have an answer. Why was this not posted in the first place? And why did it take almost 2 full days before it was decided against? I know many moderators were in and out on it the whole time, as would be expected. My question to you first and foremost I guess is why was the thread handled this way, or could in the future there be a better way to handle it? I would like to think so at least. As I have said, it was a good and important discussion. And if any show sponsors or something were to read that and find that to be earth shattering news, I'd be very surprised. Drug use in drum corps is no different than any other demographic in the US. There's going to be a few that do it. Most of us, never even try it. But that thread was talking about different ways things have gone about, possible solutions, if it was even an issue. That's important discussion really I think.

Why this wasn't posted in the first place? Good question. To be honest, I don't know. I will honestly say that was a slipup on our part, and one that I have since suggested it not happen again. I would prefer that if a thread of this kind gets removed again, an explanation gets posted somewhere where the members have easy access, so they don't have to go to the trouble of creating this thread again, and I have since suggested this to the other members of the moderation team.

Why did it take almost 2 full days? Again - good question. We were in and out of that thread many times yesterday, mostly to see where the discussion was going, and with the discussion amongst ourselves as to whether or not to close the thread occurring over the course of hours of time, and with the popularity of the thread having many responses within minutes of each other, I will say that that's why the thread was going on as long as it did. Should it have been closed earlier? Most likely, yes.

As to being surprised if a show sponsor reads this stuff - believe me, I'm not. I know for a fact that show sponsors, staff members, administrative people, do read this site and quite frequently. That's how we get the support for events such as coverage of DCI and DCA, partially through those people, in addition to our own.

Hope this helps.

Um, since when is discussing about something illegal considered condone or promoting it? If you kept that thought then any discussion on VT massacre should have been deleted right away since murder is illegal and, therefore, DCP was condoning murder. Can you see how this "guideline" could be taken to far?

Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it can't be discussed because it brings the issue up front and worthy of talking about it. You know, shine the light on darkness. So DCP would rather have people kept in the dark about a serious issue like this than to make it known what has happened and would could be done to prevent it in the future? An informed population is a valuable thing to have, especially with the way corps are today. It's to fragile to keep secrets like this.

Edited by sburstall

How consistent is the enforcement of this policy?

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...showtopic=95992

I easily just found this thread that has been active for 2 weeks. Certainly there are more.