Pavilion Show in N. CA

horrible idea.. that wouldnt be an alumni corps now would it? an alumni corps should be just that.. an alumni corps. otherwise it will just be a tribute corps.

and yes, the kingsmen alumni corps should change their name to the kingsmen tribute corps.

Well, based on the success of groups like the Caballeros Alumni, Skyliner Alumni, Bridgemen Alumni, etc., I'd say you are wrong. Besides, the more people, of any age, that you can get involved with the activity on some level, the better for the activity as a whole.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid the critics who like to use the Blue Devils as their poster child for cut and paste arrangements in drum corps will likely enjoy criticizing this show. Particularly the way they chopped up Pegasus.

I thought it was OK. Looking forward to checking out the entire production very soon.

It was more than just chopping up Pegasus. There are little chunks of shows that I picked out from 2 decades ago. It felt so segmented at times, I wondered if they forgot to write half the show. The little chunks they did use were like a constant tease, all while leaving out the cool stuff that made those pieces cool. Case in point, the contra soli from the end of the 84 ballad that is used half way through this years ballad. WHere is the killer sop solo? Why transition directly through it when it's a perfect point to make a statement? It's like BD has forgotten the importance of ebb and flow to a show that they once mastered. Go go go chop chop chop tease tease tease ........ which leaves me with a big BLAH at the front of my brain ..... again

Well, based on the success of groups like the Caballeros Alumni, Skyliner Alumni, Bridgemen Alumni, etc., I'd say you are wrong. Besides, the more people, of any age, that you can get involved with the activity on some level, the better for the activity as a whole.

there is no need for a BD alumni corps to have non-BD members.. same as Vanguard. kingsmen, sure i suppose.. bridgemen.. skyliners.. cabs.. sure.. why? because there is no active corps provided new alumni members each year.

there is no need.

if you are looking for a place to play after aging out, there is senior corps. if you want.. go join Renegades, there are a lot of BD/SCV alumni there.. or SoCal Dream, there are BD alumni there too (well, all on staff but still)

an alumni corps should be an alumni corps. otherwise its not much of an alumni corps

A few notes on BD/SCV Alumni:

We opened with Vanguardian Sketches (Parts 1 & 2). Starts off with Festive Overture and concludes with Phantom of the Opera. The trumpets ans sopranos (looked like about 32 of them to me) did a great job opening it up, and the rest of the group took it from there.

Since I Fell For You. Trumpet soloist Roland Garceau (BD 94) OWNED the crowd. He developed a fan club in the parking lot, as he was the top screamer at the show - at that is saying a lot, because this was the finest collection of lead players I have ever seen (and I have taught some decent lead lines). Jim Nordin (SCV late 80s) did a great job on the bari solo, which he played for the first time on Thursday night, as the usual soloist was unable to make the gig. I was a bit shocked to see Rafael Rodriguez (SCV 80s) come out and play trumpet solo, as we had not rehearsed it that way (I think DC must have done that while I was working with the Renegades). He did a great job.

Free started jamming from note one from Tom Wieske. That tune is just fun to play. We have been working it at our Thursday night rehearsals, and I was really proud of how well the group sounded.

We closed with Music of the Night (the '89 version). Jim Nordin did the Bari solo, and Steve Kinoshita played the ending Mellophone solo.

I really enjoyed the performance, but I wish there had been room for me on stage!! It was fun to conduct, though. Crowd was very appreciative. What a day - it has been a long time (mid-80s) since I had two horn lines in one show. Thanks to Dave Gibbs and Jeff Pearson for making this happen. Big thanks to Mike Drottz and Doug Peterson, the coordinators of the Alumni Ensemble. Biggest thanks of all to the line - you guys were great!! It is an honor to stand in front of all that talent.

Get off the fence - sign up today, or you will miss this great opportunity!

Well, you, or someone else, might want to run the notion by Mr. Gibbs of having a standing alumni, exhibition-only, type corps that is open to all who want to dust off the mouthpiece and play some good old charts. It might be an idea that's time has come (or there are just a lot of us old, used-up, baby boomers who still have enough juice in use left to want to kick it old-school and jam.)

Three words - Join the Renegades! California's other Finalist

Edited by randomnoise

there is no need for a BD alumni corps to have non-BD members.. same as Vanguard. kingsmen, sure i suppose.. bridgemen.. skyliners.. cabs.. sure.. why? because there is no active corps provided new alumni members each year.

there is no need.

if you are looking for a place to play after aging out, there is senior corps. if you want.. go join Renegades, there are a lot of BD/SCV alumni there.. or SoCal Dream, there are BD alumni there too (well, all on staff but still)

an alumni corps should be an alumni corps. otherwise its not much of an alumni corps

Nah, Cabs still have a competing corps. A lot of folks who join an alumni corps do so because they want to play the music and do it in a less intense atmosphere then a senior corps.

March Renegades? Not me. Not enough time, not enough energy and no desire to compete in DCA (or anywhere.) Renegades are a very good corps, but involves a lot more of a commitment than I'd be willing to make.

Instead of working about purity of the bloodline, you should think about it from the marketing perspective. In a country that is getting older and greyer by the minute, alumni corps is a great vehicle for promoting and supporting the other parts of the activity.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

The opener (Pegasus Fantasy) is brilliant. Alot faster than in 82. Nothing like Channel in 2002. If this was half of the hornline, yikes. They were loud with half.

thank you. I wasnt sure on that one.

EDIT: I effed up on the quote. Is there a way to delete this one?

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

FYI.... Yes, the middle production of our show is titled "The Ascension" (as noted earlier), but it is not the Robert W. Smith piece from "The Divine Comedy".

Good day today.................. :laugh:

thank you. I didnt know on that one. SCVC is indeed playing the Divine Comedy version.

Nah, Cabs still have a competing corps. A lot of folks who join an alumni corps do so because they want to play the music and do it in a less intense atmosphere then a senior corps.

March Renegades? Not me. Not enough time, not enough energy and no desire to compete in DCA (or anywhere.) Renegades are a very good corps, but involves a lot more of a commitment than I'd be willing to make.

Instead of working about purity of the bloodline, you should think about it from the marketing perspective. In a country that is getting older and greyer by the minute, alumni corps is a great vehicle for promoting and supporting the other parts of the activity.

thats true.. but then why should it be an alumni corps? it wont be an alumni corps. why not just make a whole new drum corps... maybe a new senior corps? an alumni corps should consist of alumni of that corps.. but that just might be my view on it

but the two-height rolls and drum break parts were awesome! Very "chops" oriented...fast!

I watched the video on youtube, "two-height roll"??? I couldn't really see anything on the video - please explain