Div II/ III Predictions

Raiders??? Noooo, wrong NJ corps. It's Surf & Spartans all th way. Some friends saw Surf last weekend & said they are light years ahead of last year.

Out of curiosity, does Surf have anybody new on the brass or percussion staff this year? I've heard that they got some ECJ visual techs but does anyone know if they got anybody new for one of the music captions? I think Surf will do well this year and I think that they might contend for the title. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they were a lot better.

As for us, all I'll say is I think some people are forgetting the great season that we had from 05. It's not like we finished third in Div III last year because we lost a bunch of staff and people quit caring about the corps, we just had a LOT of rookies last season. This time around, I think it'll be different :)

I don't think I should be saying anything else about how I think the corps is doing this season...you'll find out for yourselves at our first show.

(My humble, biased opinion, of course).

Edited by marimbaman89

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Revolution had a much superior Brass Caption Head last year compared to who is there now. (Although the new Caption was on staff last season, it was Jason Harvey who built that brass line in 2006).

2) Marching doesn't always mean great teaching.

3) Only in 2002 have they been successful with the dark/esoteric music and really that music was recognizable.

4) In 2002 and 2003 there were major re-writes plus they went with a new person in 2004. They haven't won High Visual since 2002 and that is because of the staff that was there.

5) but they are from Texas

Sorry I must interject when false statements are made. While most of this is his opinion some of the facts can be far from the truth.

1. Caption heads are a part of the equation but the staff can make a big difference since they spend most of the time with the line. Two of the 06 Brass staff returned and 1 from the 04 brass staff returned. You would be gravely mistaken if those under Jason did not learn anything and the addition of new talent can add to the overall effectiveness of the line. Those kids will be learning a lot over the summer and that is the most important thing. They did switch to Bb/F which means less acclimation time, better tuning, and the ability for those kids to practice more at home during camps.

We did a full Music run in mid May this year with a tougher book all around and I guarantee they will not have the met on during the Texas Drum Corps Preview in '07!

2. The Current caption has been teaching as a Tech/Writer with Revo since 2003 (2003 DBC) (2003-2006 RIW) and while he had a rocky start as a young tech - he has improved a lot since he started, and is now in this Admin's eyes a great addition to this years program. Last year group while clean were just not effective and a bit old school. Most of the members were not challenged and from the few vets returning they automatically see the difference. The opening flag statement is very nice!

3. This year's show goes back to the same programing style of 2001-2004 with an emphasis on making the show challenging to the members and not worring about the judging. The goal is to push the envelope of our program and progress the members abilities while moving the corps forward. The music will be recognizable since it is Drum Corps music that has been played at least once but with now with our twist and in our concept.

4. Mr Bowsher was with Revolution since 2000 - 2004 and while some of his drill always needs to be re-written (mostly due to number issues) it does not reflect on the effectiveness of his visual statements. The 2002 Ballad and Percussion sections were the most re-written in 2002 mainly because the visual staff opted to write that drill to allow more creative out of the box thinking. 2005 and 2006 saw different drill writers. We are pleased with the work Crieghton and Gordon C. (Caption Head) have done with the 2007 production. The battle between the linear and curvilinear Picasso inspired drill, will be very effective, while once again challenging our members in 2007.

5 We are Texas Born and Texas Proud and regardless of where we fall come August, we will become one unified voice on the Drum Corps Scene and all our hard work will pay off. We hope to represent the state well and look forward to continued growth even in the face of strong adversity in 07!

BTW - Thanks TxTubaDude for recognizing the things we try to do!

WE ARE REVOLUTION!

John Rod

Oh God... I forgot how ridiculous the Div 2/3 forums can get.

Look, we all know that you like your corps and think you're going to win it all this year. That doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen.

Out of curiosity, does Surf have anybody new on the brass or percussion staff this year? I've heard that they got some ECJ visual techs but does anyone know if they got anybody new for one of the music captions?

According to Surf's website, some new names are found in Vis and Perc staff.

Edited by dutoutcatch

East Coast Jazz

Patriots

Esperanza

Americanos

Phantom Legion

Phoenix

General Butler Vagabonds

Knight Storm

Tarheel Sun

Joliet Kingsmen

Les Etoiles

Marion Glory Cadets

How could you forget the Decorah kilities!

Seriously El Toros for the win, but its going to be close Racine Scouts are going to be hard to beat with all the Boy Scouts on the Field.

According to Surf's website, some new names are found in Vis and Perc staff. Almost all of the techs and caption heads from last season are still involved, but some in different capacities. The visual program is basically what was reworked with the addition of former ECJ staff members. Percussion direction and supervision has changed a bit. Brass staff is very similar to last year but that's not to say that the caption hasn't taken huge strides forward since last year.

:wub: B)

Have you ever been a rehearsal with Ed Devlin and Jason Bently. Surf is going to be a big contender this year. Too bad Jeff Bolduc wasnt apart of this team, Charlie Poole for that matter. Never the less. They took all the best from ECJ. Good luck Surf.

My Question is the staff from ECJ going to go back. If not would this make it harder for ECJ to come back in 08?

Out of curiosity, does Surf have anybody new on the brass or percussion staff this year? I've heard that they got some ECJ visual techs but does anyone know if they got anybody new for one of the music captions? I think Surf will do well this year and I think that they might contend for the title. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they were a lot better.

As for us, all I'll say is I think some people are forgetting the great season that we had from 05. It's not like we finished third in Div III last year because we lost a bunch of staff and people quit caring about the corps, we just had a LOT of rookies last season. This time around, I think it'll be different :)

I don't think I should be saying anything else about how I think the corps is doing this season...you'll find out for yourselves at our first show.

(My humble, biased opinion, of course).

Picked up ECJ's Visual Caption Head and Program Coordinator and some vis techs....... that was basically the meat of ECJ... so Surf should do fairly well this season.

but its going to be close Racine Scouts are going to be hard to beat with all the Boy Scouts on the Field.

Hey now watch it.

We made 30 every show and had no problem whipping on bigger hornlines with our 8. But that was old days.....that corps just need to do some rethinking now.