For the volunteers...

There's SO much to do besides cooking, driving the truck, or sewing. If you show up they will put you to work.

Before Crossmen moved, I lived about 8 miles from the winter camp site. I'd run errands, cook, clean up, etc, whatever needed to be done. I wasn't really able to take time off for the corps in the summer, but I'd help out at most of the NJ/PA area shows- and even if I was attending a show, I'd show up early to help out with whatever they needed.

This year I'll be on tour for a few days and must be crazy because I haven't been on tour since I marched. I'm taking a couple of days off from work, flying from Philly to Pittsburgh and meeting up with the corps and staying on through Giants Stadium. I'm also working A-town weekend also.

My airline ticket is a tax deduction, so that's an added bonus. :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just take a moment to say THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS Without you, there would be no drum corps. Whether you are on for months, or you just help with one meal, you are a blessing, and truly appreciated by not only the marchers, but the entire activity.

Here's something ANYONE could do for a corps and to support the "on the road" volunteers.

Raise or donate $250 for an evening of pizza. The cooks would LOVE an evening with only snack to prepare.

$75 worth of watermelons, apples or oranges go a long way.

$100 gas card can get a lead vehicle from one show to the next.

Donate your flight miles (some airlines let you do this). There is always a marching or staff member who may need an emergency trip home.

Show up with Field Paint. You can get a case of field paint at http://www.soccersupplies.com/prod/fieldga...liningproducts/

for $28 a case.

Those are off the top of my head.

I'd love to volunteer.....since I'm a teacher I have my summers free, but I can't cook....I can't drive a bus.....not much else I can do. I love corps so much, I'd probably get sent home for spending too much time watching rehearsal and not working :P

Can you drive a car? :P They can always use people to run to the store to get things.

They can always use you on a computer too...there are more ways to volunteer then just cooking and driving a bus.

If all goes well, I'm going to be volunteering for the show in Memphis for Memphis Sound this summer. My time is limited now since I have a baby to take care of.

Edited by Lancerlady

Here's something ANYONE could do for a corps and to support the "on the road" volunteers.

Raise or donate $250 for an evening of pizza. The cooks would LOVE an evening with only snack to prepare.

$75 worth of watermelons, apples or oranges go a long way.

$100 gas card can get a lead vehicle from one show to the next.

Donate your flight miles (some airlines let you do this). There is always a marching or staff member who may need an emergency trip home.

Show up with Field Paint. You can get a case of field paint at http://www.soccersupplies.com/prod/fieldga...liningproducts/

for $28 a case.

Those are off the top of my head.

I bet you could go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get them to donate supplies to a non profit organization...just a hint. :)

You could always go to Walmart, Target or wherever they donate to non profits and get gas cards donated too.

Hope that helps.

I agree that the "How much?" question is an individual thing. My advice is (1) be comfortable with what you are doing and the time you are spending and (2) there are things you can do to help that don't involve travel.

I got hooked on volunteering for the Scouts in 2003. My brother had done a two week stint with the food program in the deep South. He called me from Murfeesboro after a show. I could tell he was very tired and very energized. He encouraged me to volunteer some time to help the corps. The big hook was, "I think it will make a difference in their placement."

I got off the phone, told my wife about the call, and laughed at that "ridiculous" assertion. Within an hour I had booked a flight to Philly. The tour director met me there and drove me to the corps' housing site for Allentown. Since then, I've worked the food program when my schedule allows, plus I prepare the Thank You notes to volunteers the Executive Director signs. These letters both thank the volunteers and alert them that certain of their non-reimbursed expenses, such as mileage, other transportation, food and lodging, might be tax deductible. I do this in Milwaukee and drop them off with the Director once a month when I'm in Madison on business. I could just as easily send them to the Director as an email attachment.

My point in describing this is to give an example of a service that doesn't involve going on tour. It's an important service; I know I'm saving the Director hours of time, the volunteers appreciate the thank you both for its' own merits and because it gives them a hard copy document for tax purposes.

Everything said about the people who volunteer is basically true. By and large, they are all good hearted folks. Even with sleep deprivation, you should have a good time. Plus, it is very gratifying. I can honestly say there hasn't been a meal served where I wasn't thanked by members, staff or both.

That doesn't put money in my pocket, but it makes me richer all the same.

I use all of my vacation and personal time each year to volunteer. This winter I did seven of the Blue Stars camps (only missed the IN try-out camp). During the summer, I will drive to as many of the weekend shows as possible to volunteer (last summer I did 9,000 miles driving in and out of tour), and then do the last three weeks of tour. My wife will be on tour with them from June 22 - finals, as she is a teacher. My parents will be with them for three weeks in June and three weeks in July, as they are retired. My wife, daughter and I are on the cook staff (but will do anything else that needs doing), my Dad drives, and my Mom is a nurse. Volunteering for corps is just one of those things that, once you get involved, you never seem to get out of. The satisfaction of seeing the members performing and seeing their tears after the final performance more than makes up for the loss of any other luxuries, such as a day on the beach or whatever.

This video kind of says it all:

Thank you so much for all this input! I've toured for entire summers ( I used to be the food/volunteer coordinator for the Blue Stars and Dimensions), begged people to join on, and this summer will be taking ALL my vacation time to be on the road...

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who wants to help a corps in ANY way, whether it be actual volunteer "on the road" time, or donating gas cards, food, or anything else a corps needs...

WE COULDN'T DO IT WITHOUT YOU!!!!!! :rolleyes::worthy::laugh:

By the way, if you're near a place where a corps is holding their all- days camps, check it out & see if they need help. Most people tend to focus on the actual tour, but the corps still need to be fed & organized BEFORE they get on the road....please consider it- the staff & members will thank you greatly for it!

I use all of my vacation and personal time each year to volunteer. This winter I did seven of the Blue Stars camps (only missed the IN try-out camp). During the summer, I will drive to as many of the weekend shows as possible to volunteer (last summer I did 9,000 miles driving in and out of tour), and then do the last three weeks of tour. My wife will be on tour with them from June 22 - finals, as she is a teacher. My parents will be with them for three weeks in June and three weeks in July, as they are retired. My wife, daughter and I are on the cook staff (but will do anything else that needs doing), my Dad drives, and my Mom is a nurse. Volunteering for corps is just one of those things that, once you get involved, you never seem to get out of. The satisfaction of seeing the members performing and seeing their tears after the final performance more than makes up for the loss of any other luxuries, such as a day on the beach or whatever.

This video kind of says it all:

I see you're taking after your folks uh? I love your mom and dad! I saw them in Foxboro a couple of years ago and do you know they actually remembered me? b**bs :) I didn't know that they were getting that award until I saw them on the field later. I was so happy for them!

Cool video!

Edited by Lancerlady