For the volunteers...

How much time can you devote to volunteering for a corps? And if it's over 1 or 2 weeks, do you use up all your vacation time to do it? Just curious...I've heard many reasons as to why people CAN'T volunteer...just want to know how many are out there that just truly "can't stay away"!!!!

I hope all you out there that do give time to a corps have a really fantastic summer...THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO!!! ^OO^ :rolleyes:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to volunteer.....since I'm a teacher I have my summers free, but I can't cook....I can't drive a bus.....not much else I can do. I love corps so much, I'd probably get sent home for spending too much time watching rehearsal and not working :P

I think this is an individual question. Everyone will have a different schedule and a different amount of time they feel they can devote. I've always wanted to volunteer but have never worked it out to do it. My summers tend to be pretty busy with work. This summer I will be down in San Antonio helping Crossmen with spring training. I don't know what to expect aside from a lot of hard work and fun for a couple of weeks. Becuase of this I will not have much vacation time, but I decided that at least this one time I can give it a try and see how I feel about it. I am excited about it.

I'd love to volunteer.....since I'm a teacher I have my summers free, but I can't cook....I can't drive a bus.....not much else I can do. I love corps so much, I'd probably get sent home for spending too much time watching rehearsal and not working :P

Trust me, they could use you. If a monkey volunteered, they'd find something for it to do. :)

There is always washing dishes, chopping, helping put food out, cleaning up, etc. etc. etc.

I am asking at work if the organizaiton is a 501© organization if possibly I don't have to use vacation. I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Let's see, last summer I spent 2 weeks at move ins, and 4 weeks on tour with a 3 week break between the first and the last 3 weeks. This year I will be with the Blue Stars most likely from June 16 - Finals, so That's about 8 weeks. How I do It? Well first I'm single, that helps. And last year, after slaving over my job in the hospitality business for 12 years, I quit my job and took a year off. That's where I get the time. If I'd be living on your side of the ocean I probably would have helped out at the winter camps as well, but making a monthly trip to the US for just three days is getting a little too much for me

I got infected with the bug after taking my friend's nephew (from Illinois) to the Blue Stars January camp in Minneapolis in 2005. I was going up there to see a friend I made through work back in Europe, so we drove together. I stopped by for show and tell on Sunday, and it brought back old memories from my own marching days. So when I got the opportunity, time wise, to come over to the US for an extended period, I checked with my buddy if he'd mind me volunteering with the corps. Well he didn't so I got in touch with the Chad Armbruster (corps director) and we set the thing up, and that's how I ended up on the cook truck last year.

The experience was awesome. Yes there was a lot of hard work, especially at every days when we had days where there were only two of us in the kitchen. But there were mostly the good days. We had a pretty steady team while on tour, we got to know each other pretty well and had lots of fun. Even if it was over 100 F. You just get so much out of volunteering. The thankful kids and staff, the great shows you get to see, being part of something so wonderful, enabling others to fully focus on practicing and performing their music/dance. If you should have any issues with not feeling appreciated, come volunteer with a corps, you'll feel and you'll be so much appreciated.

Especially if you volunteer over a longer period of time you see how everything develops. The music, the show, the interaction between staff, members, volunteers, between members themselves. Seeing attitudes being changed, just seeing how every one is slowly turning to that one direction, a group of individuals becoming one corps, staff, members and volunteers alike.

So the question for me wasn't really if I was going to return this summer, but more when and for how long I was going to be out there.

I'm looking forward to go out and be part of the 2007 Blue Stars. After last years return to Div. 1 it will be so exciting to see how things will go this year. I can hardly wait to hear that announcer say:

And now on the field, from La Crosse Wisconsin, presenting their 2007 program Power and Grace, The Bulooo Staaars.

Finis Coronat Opus, the end crowns the work

Edited by DutchCousin

Really, there is always something you can do. You don't have to be a cook to be on the truck. There's drinks to be made, groceries to buy pots and pans to clean, supplies to load. Really, no skills required, just willingness to pick up anything that needs doing. You'll have the time of your life!

I am going on tour for 10 days this summer. I am changing jobs, so I am using a little time off between the jobs to help our with my daughter's corps.

One thing I want to mention for you volunteers out there. SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS!!! Costs incurred to volunteer for a qualified not-for-profit are tax deductible. The expenses must be unreimbursed, directly connected with the services you are providing and only incurred for the service itself, and not a personal, family, or living expense.

Actual travel costs are deductible (these would include air, rail or bus transportation; milage reimbursement for your car, taxi fare between transportation hubs and the corps location; lodging costs if applicable, though generally not; cost of meals, though these are generally provided by the corps you are volunteering for). Value for your time or time away from your job, etc. is not. Questions? Refer to IRS Publication 526, or consult a tax advisor.

How much time can you devote to volunteering for a corps? And if it's over 1 or 2 weeks, do you use up all your vacation time to do it? Just curious...I've heard many reasons as to why people CAN'T volunteer...just want to know how many are out there that just truly "can't stay away"!!!!

I hope all you out there that do give time to a corps have a really fantastic summer...THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO!!! ^OO^ :rolleyes:

I have my own business, so I am able to get away but also need to be in touch with work all the time. With technology being what it is these days, that part gets easier each year. I've been to all but one of the Crossmen winter camps in San Antonio, will be doing about 12 days of Spring Training there and will be around for most of tour. Because of work, I don't travel with the corps, but "follow" them. I find it easier when they are stationary, so that's why I like the camps and Spring Training. I see myself more as a "temp" during tour. When I show up, someone else can take some time off.

Much of my travel for drum corps involves business. I have a client within a mile of the Crossmen camps, so that has worked out very well this year. I stay over through Tuesday when I go down there. When I follow the corps during tour, I break off to see clients. Last year I went from Texas to Mississippi to see a client and then to Atlanta, while the corps went to Atlanta by way of Alabama. This year I'll get down to Atlanta early to see a client and will stay in Michigan after the Belding show to see a prospect (who I hope is a client by then).

I agree - there's always something to do besides cooking. That shouldn't hold you back from volunteering.

Last year was my rookie volunteer season. Since it was close to my home, I was able to volunteer each weekend of move-ins and made a couple of runs over there after work during the week. Even though I didn't plan it, I managed to get to the corps housing site early in Atlanta and helped serve breakfast, made an airport run, and helped pack up the trucks before leaving for the competition. Likewise, I was able to help serve a couple of meals and pack up the trucks in Madison for the trip home. Frankly, I wished I could have done more. It was clear to me that there can never be enough volunteers. Things just go faster and smoother for the corps when more volunteers are able to help. The way I see it is, the last thing the corps and staff need before a competition is to stress out about serving and cleaning up after their meals, and having to pack up the kitchen truck as well as the equipment truck and buses.

This year I've been able to help in the kitchen each rehearsal weekend and look forward to spending a week with the corps on tour. I also plan to help out where I can again in Atlanta and Pasadena, and whereever else I might be able to catch up with them on tour. I guarantee that the help won't be turned away.