Do basslines play loud enough?

I'll throw you a different one... the lack of 30 & 32 inch basses, brought on by the "bass voice" being moved to poorly tuned concert basses in the pit, has lowered bass volumes over the last 10 years.

Seriously... how much time is spent on tuning concert basses in the pit? There are so many ringy, crappy sounding basses that it's embarrassing. The "bass voice", if used in the sense of a concert bass, is being done well by the Bluecoats. If you say you need a "bottom" on the field, something I prefer, it's being done well by Spirit these days.

It may be an outgrowth of demand being placed on bass 5 in general, but I consider the generally higher tuning of the 26+" basses to be the biggest culprit in lack of ensemble volume. In short, DCI bass lines are starting to resemble WGI lines too closely, IMO.

It's hard to play LOUD when the BASS drum you're carrying sounds like an empty Folgers or Maxwell House coffee can!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The two loudest instruments in a corps are the bassline, and a properly tuned concert bass. They will project farther than any instrument on the field.

Frequency wise, a bassline is sitting right smack in the middle of the timbre of the contras, euphs, and baritones. So it's no wonder that when the full hornline is playing, you don't hear much definition from the bassline. However, you can sure feel it.

Going off of what Karl said, a lot of it is choice. You have to decide on the voicing of what is the most important part at that musical moment. That's the writing I enjoy the most (current and old Cavs, Casella era SCV, current Phantom) where the parts stick out at appropriate times.

Also, the dirtier the bassline is, the less it will project....With proper tuning and technique, A clean unison at 9" will for sure project.

Isn't this like saying you can't hear the contras? You don't hear the contras, you feel them.

I like hearing the contras (beginning of PR '04).

I just wish sometimes basslines would play more ARTICULATELY. Sometimes the writer tries to cram too many notes in and it just sounds like a split press roll.

I like hearing the contras (beginning of PR '04).

I just wish sometimes basslines would play more ARTICULATELY. Sometimes the writer tries to cram too many notes in and it just sounds like a split press roll.

Funny thing is, the more attack given a sound, the less decay, and the less resonance. Imagine a bass line playing with snare sticks. Very articulate, and very quiet. It's a difficult balance, but the way you overcome it is by having a tighter head. Think of some 16" bass, and the way it cuts. Well, the same principle applies with lower pitched drums, as well. The problem is if you start out at 28, you start that at a higher pitch. That's why you can hear a 32 cut through if it's tuned well, and still get resonance and "punch". Unfortunately to me, the activity is moving away from 32". Most manufacturers make their 28 as thick as all the others, but 32 inch drums are often lighter because the ply is reduced in the shell. Less maneuverable, but lighter.

I think that's the answer, myself. I recall in the mid-90's, the cavies were using a 4" split... 16-20-24-28-32. I'm not sure it's "optimal", but it sure did seem to have more power, cut, and range than any other line. Many are now going with 18-20-22-26-30, or more commonly I think is the 18-20-22-24-28 in younger groups. If you made me buy some today, I think I'd be after an 18-20-24-28-32, since it gives me more opportunity to meet the range needed, and to leave a good 11th between top and bottom.

I also believe in tuning them to pitches related to the majority of scales being played in the show... if you're not tuning your basses to a piano note, I think you're doing it wrong, unless you have PP.

Interesting topic...thanks to all the drummers out there educating this brass player. The bass drums are probably my favorite section of the corps. In fact, SCVs bassline sprinting up and down Rice Stadium while warming up was my first exposure to DC. I was hooked even before the hornline joined the clinic.

I would like to submit that I've changed my mind on my first post...I wish they did play louder or atleast get more soli's. I always listen for them.

I also believe in tuning them to pitches related to the majority of scales being played in the show... if you're not tuning your basses to a piano note, I think you're doing it wrong, unless you have PP.

in...freaking...deed.

there are alot of techs out there that "ear" it and think thats just the way your supposed to do it because, "hey, its a drum, all you need is your ear." whitch is very incorrect. any resonant head can be tuned and holds pitch as long as you dont beat it to hell and stretch it with cruddy technique, that goes for tenors and snares too(maybe not so much the tops, but definitely bottoms). any head can be tuned from the lugs. in fact the pitch of the center of the drum is actually proportional to the pitch at the lugs, i cant remember exactly but i think the lugs are always a 3rd up from the center, i could be wrong but you get the idea, its been too long all my drumcorps knowledge has been eaten away by alcohol and boxing.

theres nothing more glorious than a bassline unison that is perfectly executed.... and a perfect chord. it takes work but its worth it.

on a side note, some of you might know the name michikazu narita. aged out of cavs in 05 on quizzads, he was also the center tenor for that sick aimachi spinning tenor feature. anyhow, before EVERY performance he used to arc up the tenors on stands and spend collective hours matching pitches with a tuner/pitch maker stuck under his hat.

If you made me buy some today, I think I'd be after an 18-20-24-28-32, since it gives me more opportunity to meet the range needed, and to leave a good 11th between top and bottom.

i'm pretty sure that's the size SCV has, unless they change them this year. we're using 18-20-24-26-30. in the past, we had 16-18-24-28-32. (yeah, i know, weird, but that's what we had...)

i agree with what you said about losing the bottom in current basslines now, though. i think too many corps have started using smaller drums the last couple years... <**>

I'm surprised nobody's shown any love for the 14".

Does someone really use a 14" for a bd??

In my opinion, basslines today are by far at the highest talent level ever in the activity. I doubt anyone would disagree.

I would, however, like to hear the tuning go down a few notches - that way they would sound like BASS drums!