Cure for Cottonmouth?

In parades, we always had staff squirting lemon-water in our mouths just before we'd play a tune. But you can't do that on the field. Especially, if you're in B or A class. Man! You had to perform in broad daylight in the middle of summer!

I can imagine that guard and the battery can still perform normally, but if you're a horn player, cotton mouth is devastating. Lips gotta be wet to make noise.

What were your corps cotton-mouth cures?

Edited by apoch003

I usually chew gum.

I just stopped drinking a lot of tequila the night before. :P

Edited by TXMystreaux

Dry-mouth was always a problem. Water and Gatorade were extremely hard to come by when we were on tour. It's a wonder we didn't have dehydration problems. The only thing that worked for me was to place a small lemon drop between the gum and cheek.

Biotene is great!! We always have it backstage during performances at my theater company.

I just put my horn up and keep playing.

A trick I learned as a member of the Cadets. We used to take a swig of straight lemon juice right before performance. It turned out to be a surefire cure for cottonmouth.

They didn't have biotene in 1980, dufus! :silly:

SORRY! I thought you were talking about now. Didn't mean to offend! I simply misread what forum I was in. :worthy:

Edited by tpt43