XM Radio

I've marched two years before and one I didn't have any entertainment outside of the other people on the bus. The other year I survived with a CD Player and a few CDs of mine. Now that portable MP3 players and portable satellite radios have become mroe popular and less expensive than the times before. I want to get a portable XM radio for tour. It has a rechargeable battery and all the things you need to survive on tour. My question is if the buses metal outside will get in the way of the satellites in other words, will it work on tour?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently purchased the samsung helix and love it. It's interesting where I can and cannot get reception with the built in antenna. In my 8 story office building I can get good reception but in my townhouse, I have problems unless I put it in the home docking station.

I would recommend you purchase the car kit and use it's antenna when you're on the bus. Of course, you won't be able to plug it into a DC outlet but I believe the antenna still works. The cool thing about the car kit is the antenna has a magnet on the bottom so you could probably attach it to the window sill or if you were really sneaky, you could thread through the window sill and attach it to the metal on the outside of the bus. This is how it's really supposed to be attached. So far, I just have the antenna on the dash of my car and it's working great. I took a long trip last weekend and only occasionally lost service for a second or two. The ability to record XM content is really cool too...playback is great.

The Pioneer Inno looks to be exactly the same as the Helix and looks to be about $150 bucks cheaper right now.

Edit: They also have antenna headphones to optimize your reception. It says it's for outdoor use but I would assume it wouldn't hurt at the least.

Edited by Medeabrass

Slightly off subject, but how many of you would buy a satellite radio if they had a Drum Corps station?

I'd definitely be willing to spend my money for one. CD don't go everwhere. iPod only has the stuff you actually own. A radio station would be great.

They might already, I'm just not aware of one.

If Snoop Dogg, Ellen and Oprah could get a station why couldn't drum corps. Now that's the three people I want on MY bus on tour!

I've marched two years before and one I didn't have any entertainment outside of the other people on the bus. The other year I survived with a CD Player and a few CDs of mine. Now that portable MP3 players and portable satellite radios have become mroe popular and less expensive than the times before. I want to get a portable XM radio for tour. It has a rechargeable battery and all the things you need to survive on tour. My question is if the buses metal outside will get in the way of the satellites in other words, will it work on tour?

How much is the cost compared to an IPOD? I know the IPods are expensive, but they seem versatile and really slick. My son just got one as a gift (from a very nice young lady I might add) and is taking it on tour. I'm pretty much blown away with its versatility. I know he bought and downloaded several movies, shows, and tons of tunes. It's a very impressive piece of equipment IMO.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I have Sirius, and I know you can buy just the antenna on their site- might want to look into that for XM. You might not get the best reception by putting it on the side of the bus since the optimal reception is facing upwards (roof, dash,etc).

I have a tough time getting a decent signal sometimes with my inno on the bus during band trips and such, but the inno has the .mp3 possibilities as well, so you could always resort to those if the xm didn't work. That's usually what I do. I also have an ipod though, so I bring both.

I remember sitting around the rent-a-wreck we had at x-men listening to opie and anthony on breaks...the possibility of having XM on tour makes me want to do tour again....don't have to bring CDs!

Slightly off subject, but how many of you would buy a satellite radio if they had a Drum Corps station?

I'd definitely be willing to spend my money for one. CD don't go everwhere. iPod only has the stuff you actually own. A radio station would be great.

They might already, I'm just not aware of one.

I already subscribe to XM. My son bought me a Roadie2 a couple of summers ago, and I became hooked. No searching for stations while on the road, great reception 99.8% of the time, a huge selection of programming, etc. I bought a new Chevy Cavalier (one of the last ones made) last February and it had the XM built into the car's stereo system, plus a CD player that plays mp3 discs. It makes the 1,300+ mile trips to and from camps much easier. We can listen to drum corps on the CD, or we have the huge XM selection available for the whole trip.

I already subscribe to XM. My son bought me a Roadie2 a couple of summers ago, and I became hooked. No searching for stations while on the road, great reception 99.8% of the time, a huge selection of programming, etc. I bought a new Chevy Cavalier (one of the last ones made) last February and it had the XM built into the car's stereo system, plus a CD player that plays mp3 discs. It makes the 1,300+ mile trips to and from camps much easier. We can listen to drum corps on the CD, or we have the huge XM selection available for the whole trip.

My new GMC Acadia has XM (so does our CTS). The Acadia also has IPod integration and DVD-Navigation with voice prompt directions. The Ipod integration is SWEEEEETTTTT!!!! I'm looking forward to traveling this summer to the 18 or so shows we're going to. It is just to bad I can't fly my Acadia out to LA in August. I hoping the HHR I rented out there at least has XM....I doubt it though.

I have a tough time getting a decent signal sometimes with my inno on the bus during band trips and such, but the inno has the .mp3 possibilities as well, so you could always resort to those if the xm didn't work. That's usually what I do. I also have an ipod though, so I bring both.

I remember sitting around the rent-a-wreck we had at x-men listening to opie and anthony on breaks...the possibility of having XM on tour makes me want to do tour again....don't have to bring CDs!

O & A party rock!