new uniforms but we are broke

Wow. You have a quote in your signature from a director who put kids at risk by transporting them in unsafe vehicles, yet changed uniforms several times over their last few years of existence. Irony?

You don't have a clue. But if it makes you feel better...go ahead.

And furthermore we had ladies who sewed and made the uniform changes that we had in the last few years, thanks for checking. We kept the same basic khaki and any add ons or changed parts were made.

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa there buddy! I really don't think that's the reason for the uni-turnover. I can only speak as a Cadet but I'm pretty sure every corps treats their uniforms with the utmost pride and respect. I know we had a lot of rules about how to physically handle our uniforms from everything to how to put it on to how to carry it from the truck to the bus. I bet its pretty much the same everywhere.

I just think there's a contemporary trend of altering uniforms slightly to echo show content. I mean... I sure didn't wear the standard Cadet uniform, but I still treated it like the golden fleece.

I was responding to the person who was trying to rationalize the big turnover rate by saying that years of tearing up uniforms have taken their tolls and that's why they need new uniforms every year.

I am by no means an expert on this topic but I seem to recall being told that as opposed to the "traditional band uniform" that drum corps uniforms are designed for hot weather and tend to be made of a lighter fabric because of the nature of the activity.

That being the case, it would stand to reason that even with the utmost care and respect (and I tend to believe kids who are marching DCI are a breed where respecting the uniform would be more the norm because they realize that putting on that uniform is a privilege) that they would simply show wear more quickly and need to be replaced more often.

I also know some pieces are recycled. I spent a few hours before Drum Corps Midwest removing red crosses from aussies that were purchased and being recycled for a start up DCA corps.

That said -- Let the season begin! Can't wait to see all the corps in their new digs!

You are a piece of work. <**>

Besides, 27th only changed uniforms once in those last few years...and I can guarantee that it was needed..and done rather inexpensively. (If you really KNEW the corps rather than attempt to look like you know something you would understand. Might be asking too much out of you.) Maybe you need to look at true corps history before you keep making statements that are foolish.

Thank you! Our uniform parts were made mostly by either Mrs. B. or Mrs. Patti. The corps director wife and a volunteer from their home or the corps hall.

Edited by Lancerlady

Brother two was in the corps in '89 when they got the new unis with the red jackets. Those jackets lasted through the '92 season when the youngest aged out. '93 brought the cream unis ... and the sleek black unitards the guard wore.

We have a photo of our youngest with the contrabass he used during his four years with Star ... taken during the '92 season. Bungee cords and braided cords decorate it ... ha! Shoot ... those cords held the horn together ... but what a sound that corps could make with those "old" horns.

Ma:

Thanks for pointing out that prior to the corps' last season, there were only TWO uniform jackets. But, you know, there are some who will pull on the DVDs and insist that the first two uniform jackets did not last that long, that your memory must be playing tricks on you. It is amazing what some braid, baldrics, sequins, etc. can do to change a look.

As for the 1993 cream jackets, they saw new life with Brass Theatre.

Star of Indiana had new uniforms EVERY year they were going, good thing Bill Cook had deep pockets !! :doh:

Actually no.

The corps wore the same uniform with changes from 1985-1988. The jacket was the same with some modifications

1989-1992 was the same jacket and pants, with acoutrements to match each years show.

1993 was a new uniform.

Wow. You have a quote in your signature from a director who put kids at risk by transporting them in unsafe vehicles, yet changed uniforms several times over their last few years of existence. Irony?

That comment is uncalled for and shows your complete ignorance when it comes to the 27th Lancers and how the corps was run. My dad drove one of those buses and I know for a fact the time and effort he and the rest of the bus driving crew put into making those buses as safe as possible. You got a beef about that, PM me and we'll chat.

I can answer LancerLadys comments insofar as one corps (you know who)

Every year, Carolina Crown holds a holiday drive. The corps managment picks out a particular capital improvment to make each year. This year it was uniforms. In the past it has been the food truck (the amp year..she had alot to say about that without knowing all the facts.. :sshh: ), instruments, or an equipment truck. Money from this goes into a capital improvment fund, and has NOTHING to do with the corps's daily operating expenses. (ie gas, food, etc)

I can tell you that the modern lighter uniforms the corps wear have alot of advantages. They are more comfortable, easier to alter, are machine-washable, and are less expensive.

These advantages come at a cost. They simply do not last as long as the older wool dry-clean only uni's. Crown had been in their current set for 4 years before this year's new ones (they are completly new, btw..pants, jacket, and shako) I can tell you from personal experience that they were worn out. 4 years of being on sweaty kids marching and moving had taken their toll.

The kids at CC, like every drumcorps, are taught to respect their uniform, both physically, and philosophically. The uniform is treated with the upmost in respect. As an alumnus, I personally police this. I haven't had to speak to too many kids about ths.

I can answer LancerLadys comments insofar as one corps (you know who)

Every year, Carolina Crown holds a holiday drive. The corps managment picks out a particular capital improvment to make each year. This year it was uniforms. In the past it has been the food truck (the amp year..she had alot to say about that without knowing all the facts.. :sshh: ), instruments, or an equipment truck. Money from this goes into a capital improvment fund, and has NOTHING to do with the corps's daily operating expenses. (ie gas, food, etc)

I can tell you that the modern lighter uniforms the corps wear have alot of advantages. They are more comfortable, easier to alter, are machine-washable, and are less expensive.

These advantages come at a cost. They simply do not last as long as the older wool dry-clean only uni's. Crown had been in their current set for 4 years before this year's new ones (they are completly new, btw..pants, jacket, and shako) I can tell you from personal experience that they were worn out. 4 years of being on sweaty kids marching and moving had taken their toll.

The kids at CC, like every drumcorps, are taught to respect their uniform, both physically, and philosophically. The uniform is treated with the upmost in respect. As an alumnus, I personally police this. I haven't had to speak to too many kids about ths.

I'm glad to hear this. There is no reason for all this drama regarding uniforms.

I made my comment to the person who stated that sometimes corps wear and tear their uniforms. I meant that comment as a "If they respect their uniform and don't tear it up then they wouldn't have to go out and buy a new one every year". (DO I have To repeat this statement again)?

I UNDERSTAND if a corps use a uniform 4 years and then buys a new one, that's not what I have a problem with.

It's this excuse that some corps think they need to have a uniform or new look to keep up with the top 5. THAT'S what I have a problem with. You don't need a new uniform to keep up with the top 5 corps.

THAT'S what irks me more then anything.

Edited by Lancerlady