Conversation without resolve

Hey,

I was in a conversation (last wednesday night ) with alot of old vet's from the 70's and as always we talked about a lot of old day crap, like who was better than who and so forth. We also talked about how many (that we knew of in Drum Corps) were overage age by a million years but never got caught, like our own corps from back in the day. Then we went on like a bunch of street corner wino's and tried to come up with a system that would be fool proof in catching overage people and stop them and their corps from competing. Most of the conclusions of answers we came up with had so many loop holes we failed in our attempt, and thought that we would put this out there to all of you for additional answers, and then discuss what you provided next week in the continuning saga of "As Drum Corps Turns".

Here ya go!

1) If a director knew of his / or her membership was overage, and didn't do anything about it... what would be done if it was proven that he /she knew about it and let the member (s) go on the field to compete?

2) Is it fair to a corps who follow the age rules, to have to compete against overage developed talent from another corps? and if they (rule follwers) even suspected that another group (corps) has overage members "What should they do?"

3) What system is in place year after year that protects the integrity of Drum Corps in regard to age?

And how do they "System" verify that everyone on the field is legal before the season begins and while the season is ongoing, or is this something impossible to control?

4) And do you think, that the future of competitive Drum & Bugle Corps, will be "The ALL Age System" presently becoming popular instead of the present age parameters?

This is an old topic, and probably not that important to many but it's out there whaddaya say?

Ask for the copies of the birth certificates from the corps director that travel with the corps on tour.

have the birth certificates and at some random point check photo ID. It makes sense, but it doesn't at the same time because it would take forever to do. There's so many corps.

a funny little thing though, in 2003 a judge questioned my age on his tape. it's funny because I was 15 at the time. :P

Ask for the copies of the birth certificates from the corps director that travel with the corps on tour.

Fake I.D.'s and Birth Certificates abound today. Requiring a Drum Corps to provide this documentation may not be worth the paper it is printed on.

I will let you guess which top five drum corps from 2006 had multiple overage members during the course of the season.

It's all good ... It's Drum Corps !!!

Why even march overage people? There's so few, there's no point whatsoever. Someone 23 doesn't have much more talent than a 22 yo age out (Goin with the extra year here), and even if he or she did, one or two persons out of 135 are not going to make a big enough difference.

If a corps marched overage members RECENTLY, they're playing with fire. It's not a risk worth taking in any sense.

Fake I.D.'s and Birth Certificates abound today. Requiring a Drum Corps to provide this documentation may not be worth the paper it is printed on.

Lets just hope then that corps are checking originals when they receive the copies from members as I'm sure few corps has the resources or want to get involved in any kind of legal matters involving forgery.