US Open Memories

We got rained on in 84, which jazzed us (and the crowd) quite a bit. That was at Franklin field. Last time we were there was 87, and I remember the night before Open Class day, a local radio station read off the scores of the Class A day. That goes right up there with the Madison radio commercials in 85 as one of the coolest things ever.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1972 was awesome!

Position Corps Score I remember Blue Rock coming out in a tight block formation.

1 Anaheim Kingsmen 88.150 Des Plaines doing West Side Story

2 27th Lancers 85.000

3 Blue Rock 80.600

4 Kilties 80.100

5 Bridgemen 79.400

6 Des Plaines Vanguard 76.750

7 Garfield Cadets 75.600

8 Bleu Raeders 74.800

9 DeLaSalle Oaklands 73.650

10 Blessed Sacrament 71.500

11 Racine Scouts 67.650

12 Purple Lancers 64.600

Position Corps Score

1 Anaheim Kingsmen 80.300

2 De La Salle 78.250

3 Black Knights 75.850

4 Kilties 74.150

5 Purple Lancers 73.550

6 Polish Falcons 69.750

7 Argonne Rebels 69.150

8 Des Plaines Vanguard 68.750

9 Royal Crusaders 67.300

10 Blue Rock 66.050

11 Toronto Optimists 65.700

12 Phantom Regiment 65.400

corpsreps had a US Open A Class Prelim score too but it's not there anymore.

Unfortunately I don't have scores but I have placements

1972 Class A

1. General Butler Vagabonds

2. Etobicoke Crusaders

3. Royal Crusaders

4. Belvederes

5. Grenadiers

6. Opti-Knights

7. Charioteers

1972 All Girl

1. St. Johns Girls

2. Capitolaires

3. Mello-Dears

1973 Class A

1. Squires

2. Etobicoke Crusaders

3. Keystone Regiment

4. Charioteers

5. Belvederes

6. Marquis

7. Windjammers

1973 All Girl

1. Audobon Bon-Bons

2. Capitolaires

3. Mello-Dears

4. Firettes

5. St. Johns Girls

Thanks! I knew that my corps did okay for its first time and that we had beaten corps that we, for some reason, couldn't beat in NY.

Unfortunately I don't have scores but I have placements

1972 Class A

1. General Butler Vagabonds

2. Etobicoke Crusaders

3. Royal Crusaders

4. Belvederes

5. Grenadiers

6. Opti-Knights

7. Charioteers

1972 All Girl

1. St. Johns Girls

2. Capitolaires

3. Mello-Dears

St. John's Girls skipped off the field including the girls that carried timpani's.

1973 Class A

1. Squires

2. Etobicoke Crusaders

3. Keystone Regiment

4. Charioteers

5. Belvederes

6. Marquis

7. Windjammers

1973 All Girl

1. Audobon Bon-Bons

2. Capitolaires

3. Mello-Dears

4. Firettes

5. St. Johns Girls

Good to see Blue Rock remembered in this thread

Good to see Blue Rock remembered in this thread

Blue Rock will always be remembered!

Blue Rock tore the house down, when they won the U.S. Open in '71. And in '73 they got ABSOLUTELY soaking wet in one of the biggest rainstorms I've ever seen. Many of their jackets were ruined when their plumes ran onto them. They had to appear at finals the next day while wearing U.S. Open t-shirts. I still have a reel-to-reel recording of stadium announcer Tom Judd coming on the p.a. right in the middle of Blue Rock's '73 show in the downpour. He yelled out to the crowd......

"KEEP YOUR #### TICKET STUBS!"

Blue Rock tore the house down, when they won the U.S. Open in '71. And in '73 they got ABSOLUTELY soaking wet in one of the biggest rainstorms I've ever seen. Many of their jackets were ruined when their plumes ran onto them. They had to appear at finals the next day while wearing U.S. Open t-shirts. I still have a reel-to-reel recording of stadium announcer Tom Judd coming on the p.a. right in the middle of Blue Rock's '73 show in the downpour. He yelled out to the crowd......

We had tickets and as soon as it started pouring and the place was clearing, Dick Hoppe took all our tickets. I am sure he made a few bucks the next day.

It was an awesome competition back then. I think back on how early those large contests started and I don't think anyone who began marching after 1982 can appreciate the magnitude of the US Open. DCI 1976 was large with a record amount of corps. Nowadays, prelims start later in the day due to the small amount of corps.

Try going to see an 8 a.m. step off of the first corps and going until 5:30 pm. I'd love to see a schedule of corps for 1972 or 1973.

Hey, remember Des Plaines doing West Side Story crawling all over the field in the rain? Seems to me that Royal Crusaders did a saloon scene and were sitting on the ground in the rain too.

Yes, indeed Brian.........those uni's were history.........but it led to an order for more uni material in the same color for new uniforms that were never made........but the history of that material is a story for another time, eh?

Jimbalaya

In '73 the Class 'A'/All-Girls prelims started at 7:30 a.m., and went until 2:45 p.m. both days, while the open class started at 8:00 a.m and went until 3:15.

You mention the Royal Crusaders. You may remember they were on the field when the rainstorm first hit. They were called off the field, and went to get dried off. They had tied Blue Rock at prelims. Blue Rock then volunteered to go do their show, since the Royal Crusaders had taken their uniforms off. The storm then REALLY came when Blue Rock was on the field. They were doing a good deed, and really got punished for it that night.

From the 1979 U. S. Open program

From1979U.jpg