US Open Memories

1979 U. S. Open program second half.

From1979U-1.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is SO fun!!! I love talking about this old stuff. Keep it coming.

Yes I remember Royal Crusaders being pulled off and then Blue Rock coming out and the flood happened.

Blue Rock tore the house down, when they won the U.S. Open in '71.

Oh man.... they sure did. That was an awesome performance that night! One of the good memories I have of the U.S. Open, for sure. I remember the DeLaSalle Oaklands (spelling?) also rocked the place that night.

In 1973, I saw the Blue Devils for the first time.... at the U.S. Open parade. I've been a fan of theirs ever since. That weekend in '73 was interesting..... the junior corps where I marched was scheduled to come to the U.S. Open that year, so I went out a few days early with my parents and grandparents. Then my corps pulled out of the show and didn't make the trip from NJ, so I had an unexpected vacation!

My worst memory from the U.S. Open: 1974, when my junior corps came in dead last at Open Class prelims. We had made the Class A finals the weekend before at the Key to the Sea show.... but for some inexplicable reason, our director entered us in Open Class at the U.S. Open, where we had no chance whatsoever, instead of in Class A, where we at least had a shot at making finals. Go figure. :wacko:

Fran

Next to Blue Rock De La Salle rocked better than anybody at that '71 U.S. Open. I still have those vinyl records from

that year. They roared off the line with "Miserlou" and never looked back (also did Channel One Suite). By the way, Fran.... I'll never forget some members of the Sacred Heart Crusaders getting left behind at prelims in '71. Do you remember that? The bus took off and left some guys back at the stadium. They were sitting in front of me.

Of course that was also a very sad year in Marion. Nancy Mauro, a member of the I.C. Reveries was killed when she was hit by a car at the parade.

That '73 parade was also the first time I ever saw the Blue Devils. Little did we know at the time..........

Edited by Northern Thunder

Bleu Raeder...

Did you happen to march with the Bleu Raeders in '72? They were, without a doubt, the BIGGEST single surprise at the U.S. Open that year. Not many had even heard of the corps, and here they were beating all these other corps and making the finals. I still vividly remember hearing the Raeders practice that year somewhere around Harding Stadium (I was in my brother's kitchen a few blocks away from the stadium at the time).

I thought Bleu Raeders had the best uni's back then.

I got a chance to talk with them after they became Regimente Militaire in 1974. 4 buses was a big thing.

Bleu Raeder...

Did you happen to march with the Bleu Raeders in '72? They were, without a doubt, the BIGGEST single surprise at the U.S. Open that year. Not many had even heard of the corps, and here they were beating all these other corps and making the finals. I still vividly remember hearing the Raeders practice that year somewhere around Harding Stadium (I was in my brother's kitchen a few blocks away from the stadium at the time).

By the way, Fran.... I'll never forget some members of the Sacred Heart Crusaders getting left behind at prelims in '71. Do you remember that? The bus took off and left some guys back at the stadium. They were sitting in front of me.

LOL..... yes, I do remember some guys getting left behind. I was one of the fortunate ones who was on the bus, and didn't have to face the wrath of our director!!!!!

Fran

Here are a some wonderful memories I have from my years at U.S. Open:

1970 Argonne Rebels. The first 50 member horn line I ever heard. What a beautiful brass choir sound. Barnum and Bailey OTL was smoking! I got a close look at them rehearsing when we realized that we (Appleknockers) had narrowly missed the finals cut and had some free time on our hands.

1971 Appleknockers and Tri-Town Cadets. I competed four times in two days. Tired but happy!

1972 Anaheim Kingsmen. I watched them rehearse their full field show in 90 degree humidity then march back to the starting line and do it again...Twice!! Each run through was like a championship performance. This was a corps on a roll and amazingly conditioned. Destined to win the first DCI championship shortly thereafter.

1972 All Girl

1. St. Johns Girls < I was there - my rookie year! ^OO^

2. Capitolaires

3. Mello-Dears

1973 All Girl

1. Audobon Bon-Bons

2. Capitolaires

3. Mello-Dears

4. Firettes

5. St. Johns Girls < I was here too :(

kel