Another Wildwood Review !

Just some quick thoughts on what I saw and heard in Wildwood......

So here is my review,

Hurricanes: Sporting the biggest corps they have had in while decked out with new uniforms (Which I like...especially the hat), new drums and new horns. The show starts out pretty strong right out of the gate. Overall I would say there seems to be some uncertainecy from the corps in regards to marching. On a real good note....they are marching the entire show. I also thought some of the transitions were a bit cloudy but this will be corrected as time goes on. I think my farvorite parts of the show are Mambo and the end. Great job Hurcs.....keep working and good things will come. So glad to see a full Hurc corps this strong in June.

Brigadiers: The Brigs are presenting something that is really cool. Its a look back at some of the productions they have presented (Will good success) in the past. Hearing Spanish Fantasy is always awesome and I am going to say this with GREAT confidence......the Brigs performed the best ballad of the night. The soprano and baritone duet had the crowd totally engaged.....TRULY awesome. Special recognition has to go out to the baritone soloist...she is AWESOME !!! Overall I think the corps is on the right track......they just need to clean it up and layer on more detail. Hornline is in the low 40's (Which is a tad odd considering they have sported close to 80 in the past) but are of really fine quality.

Buccaneers: Ok......so they are the defending champions.....doesnt mean a thing in a brand new season. Well.....this corps literally looks like they picked up right where they left off on that the damp and cold night at DCA's in Rochester. They are performing great already and their confidence is extremely high.....which makes them super tough to beat. I saw tid bits of their practice through the day and at certain times felt they looked a bit complacent (Which definately happens when you have been dominant for a while). At show time they squashed those thoughts. My attention kept being drawn to their marching program. Mainly design......it really flows well. Going to take an effort to knock big blue in to 2nd place.....but stranger things have happened.

PS

Best DM in DCA by far......

Empire: They had a HUGE task in performing after the Bucs and overall I felt they did just fine. They came out with screaming sop soloists and did not let up. They also marched with the most confidence out of every corps out there. There is a very interesting part of the show where they play Taps in tribute to the late Maynard. Interesting effect and it left a hush over the crowd leading in to the next section of the show. I kept seeing great things from the rifle line. They were pretty on the ball overall. This corps can contend without a doubt.....and anyone familiar with Maynards charts is going to love it.

Caballeros: With a leaner, meaner hornline and super-charged drumline the Caballeros did a fine job with the difficult music of Carmen. I was a tad worried about how this first show would come accross because I was aware of the technicality of the show. Believe me, they did a fine job. Nice touches throughout the entire show and again anyone familiar with Carmen is going to love the constant weaving of ideas and music. I was probably most impressed with the musicality that the corps played with at this early date. The traditional RUMPS at the end of the show is done with a great amount of creativity (And perfomance) Contender ? Absolutley.....never count the Cabs out of anything

Caballeros Alumni: Ok......its really next to impossible to describe the performance from the Cabs alumni in Wildwood........its what drum corps is all about. Performance and just plain FUN. Soloists were all on the ball (Especially Frank P.....who played probably one of the best shows I have ever heard from him) Drumline was cooking.....horns were INSANE (70 + of them) and some of the new music is great. Interesting starting position for the corps.....they start in the shape of a sombrero. Go see this corps.....they will leave you with a huge smile on your face.

PS the weather and beach were great and the water seemed amazingly warm. Cool Scoops....excellent ice cream place done up in a 50's theme. 12th street and Atalantic I believe......

Sorry for any typos

Edited by Triple Forte

First of all, thanks for the kind words about the Cabs Alumni, Triple Forte!

This is a little late and I've already posted it in the Bayonne TOS Review, but I want to get the word out about this incident at the Wildwood show last week. The Bucs' Contras deserve it. Read on . . .

Walking past the Bucs as they came off the field in Bayonne this past Saturday reminded me of something that happened in Wildwood. I meant to acknowledge it here last week, but forgot to do it. So, better late, than never!

As the Cabs' Alumni drumline began to move as a block down the ramp of the service entrance into the Wildwood Convention Center last week, there were at least six or seven of the Reading Contras coming down out of the holding area. They had just finished their show and were heading out to relax. We began to plan how we would break into twos so we could squeeze to our right and pass them without a problem.

Much to our surprise and great pleasure, the Bucs' contras saw the developing problem and cleared the driveway for us to march by without breaking our formation. In addition, they stepped up onto the curb, and instead of continuing to thread their way along the curb and narrow sidewalk, turned and faced the roadway, pausing there almost as if to salute us as we marched past them. Several of us acknowledged them as we passed with a smile and a salute of our drumsticks for this gesture of respect.

I can't tell you how impressed we of the Cabs' Alumni drumline were by this small but very classy move on their part. Here were members of the DCA Champions giving way and standing aside to allow an alumni corps section pass uninterrupted. Truly a show of class and respect.

Gentlemen, on behalf of the Caballeros Alumni drummers, I thank you for your actions, and I salute you and your corps. Congratulations on your win in Wildwood and best wishes for a successful season.

Very kind of you to post that here, John.

It's always a pleasure to see and hear the Cabs Alumni perform. Truly a reminder of what's great about our activity.