An amazing read . . . everytime!

Another old timer raises his hand - Michelle, thank you for letting us in on what it's like today. So many DCP discussions become, "Well , it was better back in the day...."

I could never have done what the kids today are doing in most of D1. Well, maybe playing cowbell in the pit... (did somebody say, "More cowbell" ???)

I'm with the other "old-timers" who've posted on this thread.

Hats off to that young lady and the rest of the performers who are busting their butts this summer to make their corps as good as they can be. :sumo:

Fran

I'll go with the above posters. I marched "back in the day". We were pretty good for our era, but we weren't pushed nearly as hard as the kids are today.....surprise......we weren't as good either. Hats off to them. :)

*grins* So glad it's well received- I love listening to her tell her stories. Makes me all the more determined that I /won't/ be around to type for her next summer, darnit, I'm going to be on tour! :sumo:

As her typist/editory-person, is there anything in particular that those of the drum corps community would like to read about? Anything mentioned you'd like follow-up for (such as the mellophone beetle who pops up now and then)?

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for a few hours to find this thread now that I'm home. It was mentioned to me when we were in Powder Springs, GA. haha...

I know I'm bumping something that hasn't been posted in since June, but I wanted to say thank you very much to the people who responded. I still have to write the last installment detailing the last 2 1/2 weeks of tour. I decided sleeping on the bus or filling my water jug during breaks was more important to me than spending an hour or two writing a lot of different things that happened. Sorry for being a slacker :(

Also, thank you times a million to one of my best friends for putting up with my late night phone calls and sometimes wandering train of thought to get this stuff published!

I'm going to have to say this thread is really refreshing and instills some hope in my heart for the "old farts" of drum corps.

Usually what I hear from "old timers" is something along the lines of "Drum Corps ceased being "real" drum corps the day after I aged out".

It's good to realize that alot of people realize the heart and soul of drum corps: mastering your instrument, working well with others, taking leadership, BEING a leader, creating and being a part of something much bigger than yourself. These are lessons "the kids" learn no matter the key of their horn, how many valves it has and yes...even if there's talking during their show.

Rock on.

This all goes to prove to me even more it doesn't matter what rules pass or what changes are made. It'll still be drum corps.