Modern Guard Out of Hand or Out of the World?

Guest GeorgeD

That was 1982 - they were inactive for 1984, and they came back for 1985

~G~

you're right! I'm sorry....it's sad how years start to run together :(

No problem at all, I had to put the video in to be 100% sure..the years DO fly by !! :sly:

~G~

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had to be either 83, or 85...Cavaliers didnt have a guard in 84.

Was it James Bond Music ?? or was it a Billy Ocean song ??

~G~

James Bond music and I didn't actually see the tape case, so I'm not sure of the year. It was a performance where they didn't have uniforms (don't know what the story was with that), so they were wearing t-shirts and short shorts.

Lisa, you and I have debated this elsewhere. As you know, I agree with Terry - I prefer the "old guard". Through our discussion, I've come to understand and respect more of what the "new guard" is doing - I just don't personally like it........

Andrew,

Having "returned to the field" after a lllloooooooonnnnnngggg haitus, I, too am starting to re-think my opinions on old vs. new guard. (sorta). One thing I am realizing about "new guard" instructors, and this is probably what "old school" complains about....is that they try and put a winter guard production on the field. When your audience is 3 feet away from you, you can do small intricate work. You can use sabres. But when the first row of your audience is 100ft away...your work needs to be bigger, BIGGER.... BIGGER!!!! Sometimes this translates into "Simpler".

However, and I think it was CorpsVets Kate that said she wouldn't want to return to the limited vocabulary of yesteryear's guard. I'd have to (still) agree with this notion. I like when people are innovative w/ their flag work. Heck, many times when I was making up flag work, I'd walk up to a snare drummer, hand him a flag and say, make something up for 16 counts. Much of my best choreography came from people that weren't limited to what you're "supposed" to do with a flag. But I always bore in mind that if it's field work, it has to be BIG.

So, I submit again, I really don't think it's an argument of old guard v. new guard. I think it's an argument of clean guard v. dirty guard. The reason I say this is anytime someone submits a new guard as good...that guard has done good clean big guard work. Maybe not as intricate as other guards that season, but EASY TO READ.

It would seem, Andrew, that you and I are moving closer and closer to the middle. B)

To me, and again, this is JMO, much of the guard work today is distracting. I prefer to see a more integrated show, where the guard is more a part of what's going on with the whole corps. Most of the guard shows today feel to me like they are their own separate entity - the only relation they bear to the rest of the show is that they're happening on the same field at the same time. That doesn't make them bad shows, it's just not a style I can appreciate as much.

I tore the plastic off my "Best of the 90's" video last night...I hadn't seen some of the "top" shows for years...Although BD has IMO the best guard, I totally agree with you on the effectiveness of their work. They have an incredible equipment book, yet their drill often hides them among the horns when they have sabres or are doing just body movement. And some of their body work is not written to be pretty or visible from the stands- Why?

I think good show design is very important, and to piggyback on what Lisa was saying, intricate work is worthless if doesn't come accross to the people in the stands. Phantom Regiment's guard book is usually simpler (compared to the other top 12 guards), yet one of the most effective (IMO).

One thing I didn't like at first last year (my first in watching DC) was the guard uni's and how they did not match the rest of the corps. I have to say, over the course of the season, I think I got over that for the most part.

I'm glad that you've come around to liking different guard uni's...I could come up with multiple criticisms of every guard uniform I've ever seen, especially those I've had to wear, but my biggest criticism is when you can't distinguish the guard from the corps (with the exception of Cavaliers- it works for them). The guard is there to bring visual interest to the field, so even if a uniform is hideous up close, if it shows from the stands, its a good uniform (over simplification, but more or less the truth).

The guard is there to bring visual interest to the field, so even if a uniform is hideous up close, if it shows from the stands, its a good uniform (over simplification, but more or less the truth).

Yeah, I sorta liken it to the props used on the original Star Trek. When you see them in real life, up close, they look cheesy and lame. On TV, they were SUPER COOL. Same with some of today's guard uniforms. Up close they might look poorly constructed or..gasp....cheesy and lame....but on the field, they'll look good.