A curiosity about predictions

Excuse me?

I wasn't referencing you at all. Can you please not make baseless assumptions?

Thanks.

Brandon,

I was the one who made that quote in the prediction thread, "Chill out people it's June", what am I supposed to think?

Furthermore you came after me in that other thread thinking that, so I'm not making baseless assumptions....You said the basic same thing to me and I tried to clarify it in the other thread, so I felt the need to try and clarify again what I meant.

Anyway....hopefully it's been clarified for the last time.

Ok. Great.

Honestly, I really don't have a post-memory beyond about 4 hours previous on any given day. Once a new day comes, I pretty much forget about everything prior since I post so often. So I was unaware I was directly quoting you...I was just saying things how I would say them. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by geluf

Sporting activities are much different. When you look at the Spurs, you know that much of their team will be the same next year. They will still have Tim Duncan and many other of the players that make the team so great. In drum corps, you're looking at keeping 135 members, many of who are age outs. The make up of drum corps' change every year, and it's a game of who is the best at featuring their strengths. You can't make predictions, even with sports, until you know what players are on which team, and in sports, you generally have this information much sooner, hence the earlier predictions.

<snip>

The staff of some of those corps do come on here to read what people are saying. I know cause I'm friends with some of those on staff with various corps. And they (the kids in corps) do have access on their down time (If they have wireless toys on tour with them), but I wouldn't come on here, this place is very negative lately.

<another snip>

And I would say that this is one thing wrong with modern drum corps. Why on earth would a hard working staff want to be distracted by what's written on here? And members....sheesh. Put the wireless toys away and work on your sets, your music.

What's said on DCP isn't worth the distraction. And it's not intended for current staff and members. If they have time to focus on DCP then that's time wasted on either focusing on their show or sleeping (recharging) for the next day.

But, they are human. And for that matter, so are we. So, I understand your need to lecture other adults, but it has little effect in stopping DCP traffic in the prediction threads. Im glad it makes you feel better though.

So I don't think I'm a big prognosticator, but most other competitive leagues have people talking about who will will from the first day after their championship. I distinctly recall everyone in the last few years asking as a team won a sports title if they could repeat. Can the Spurs win in 2008? Can the Colts repeat?

No one seems to mind predictive rants in sports. They're generally not that important, but it brings you to important questions about the offseason, plans, and upcoming things to look for.

I find it quite crazy that when people start talking about predictions in DCP in the first week that it's blasphemous. Why? What's so bad about trying to predict the competitive nature of a competitive activity? I don't get it. Yes, you can draw conclusions that aren't supported -- but they are predictions. If we really could predict, why play? But why all the dislike of prediction here?

Because most drum corps folk take themselves and the activity too seriously.

And I would say that this is one thing wrong with modern drum corps. Why on earth would a hard working staff want to be distracted by what's written on here? And members....sheesh. Put the wireless toys away and work on your sets, your music.

What's said on DCP isn't worth the distraction. And it's not intended for current staff and members. If they have time to focus on DCP then that's time wasted on either focusing on their show or sleeping (recharging) for the next day.

But, they are human. And for that matter, so are we. So, I understand your need to lecture other adults, but it has little effect in stopping DCP traffic in the prediction threads. Im glad it makes you feel better though.

I'm not "lecturing" anybody. And I never asked anybody to stop their predictions.

Nobody is "distracted" by the bs on this website. Sometimes people pop in here for the heck of it and see what's going on during down time I'm sure.

You are taking things out of context as well, which I've noticed you like to TRY to do in a lot of your posts. You misconstrue alot of facts as well.

But if talking down to people makes you feel like a bigger man..... :rolleyes:

Edited by Lancerlady

I'm not "lecturing" anybody. And I never asked anybody to stop their predictions.

Nobody is "distracted" by the bs on this website. Sometimes people pop in here for the heck of it and see what's going on during down time I'm sure.

You are taking things out of context as well, which I've noticed you like to TRY to do in a lot of your posts. You misconstrue alot of facts as well.

But if talking down to people makes you feel like a bigger man..... :rolleyes:

You're right. And I'm sorry.

There are some 18-22 year olders who are wearing a uniform and they are getting shot at, and their buddies killed right in front of them, and for their efforts they are being criticised daily and from all sides. So please spare some of us some of the criticisms on people's opinions that are generated toward their Corps that may not be so flattering. These kids are positively blessed that they can spend this summer this way, criticisms or not. Part of growing up, is learning how to handle criticism, even when it's unwarranted. These kids can learn that sometimes you bust your ### and yet it gets you nothing but grief and little results sometimes. So what. You disregard the naysayers and you push on confidently. That's called life. Sometimes we are made stonger thru adversity and criticisms.

There was a player that was cut from his High School Basketball team tryouts in his Junior year after having been on the team in his Soph year. He was approached at tryouts and told by both his H.S. Coach and Assistant H.S. Coach......." Sorry Son, but we've been watching you play these 2 weeks and you're simply not good enough anymore to make our squad this year, and so we don't think we'll be needing you ". So they cut him. The player's name ? Michael Jordan.

Edited by X DM