No Mass Appeal, No Future

Not that they shouldn't try, but that the average person in America doesn't have to be interested in DCI in order for the activity to continue. More fans would be great, but DCI shouldn't change the end product with the sole goal of reaching a broader fan-base.

-Edited for a grammatical error.

Why not? Again, I'm not saying cater to the lowest common denominator, but why not keep more legacy fans as we add new fans?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I wasn't intending to agree with him, because I don't. I was just saying that after I scanned the responses (I admit I didn't look closely) it looked like just about everyone was roasting him...I didn't see the sense in adding one more log to an already raging fire.

Don't worry, plenty of others will. :doh:

This is where I might make a comment like "Yeah, we could dumb everything down and make it very Disney-eqsue, something like Mary Poppins with sing-a-longs and dancing. That's more accessible than Shostakovich, right?" But I'm not going to actually make that comment in earnest because I know that's now what you're implying, even though your argument could easily lead down that path. I personally would rather have more music I've never heard of, than showtunes and whatnot. Yeah, there have been some great shows made out of showtunes, soundtracks, etc. But, I've also been exposed to a lot of music and composers that I had never heard of before due to drum corps. What about BAC and Jennifer Higdon last year? I'd bet that many people were exposed to her music and had the chance to discover a wonderful composer due to that show, even if it wasn't the most accessible thing on earth.

From context, it seems that you meant to type "not" instead of "now." If this is true, then you are correct. And I, too, have been exposed to new things because of drum corps. Appalachian Spring and New World Symphony immediately jump to mind, but there's lots more. It's more in the arranging of the music. These days, even when I recognizable tune is played, it is so 'drum corpized' that it isn't very whistlable either. As some have pointed out, too many charts have drum or pit breaks every eight bars or shift from tune to variation that it doesn't really flow. So, this is what I mean, not that everything has to be Disney.

I'm referring to the aggregate of the fans who go to all the shows and regionals, and of course finals itself boasts what...about 50k a year? I'm not sure of the exact numbers but if you figure that even if each small show has maybe 500 - 1000 unique people (not unreasonable, they try to spread the shows apart from one another), and there are maybe 20-30 shows per summer per touring "group" (where group is about 4-5 corps that tend to follow the same tour schedule for a couple of weeks), and there are 3-4 groups....well you can see where I'm going with this, right? I could dig around and look up hard, ascertainable fact but I think we can both agree that those are fairly reasonable assumptions to make.

Of the 50K at finals (being the aggragate of D2/3, quarters, semis and finals), how many are unique ticket holders? About half. How many of them went to a local and a regional as well? You can't just count ticket sales and say that's how many fans there are.

Of course, when it comes to the idea of DCI being a bunch of "super bands"...I'm afraid we will have to disagree.

That we will. In less then 10 years, woodwinds will be legalized and the DCI units will be marching bands. There will be no unique difference anymore.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. There were more corps, sure, but they had less exposure and there were fewer members. Now there are fewer corps, with more members and higher exposure nationwide. It's a tradoff, and I prefer the latter situation to the former.

There are a whopping 22 more members to those corps who have filled out. Let's say that's the entire top 12. That means there are about 300 more marching members. Three corps at 100 members would be equivalent. There were a few more than 3 more corps back then, so, it is not a trade off. Yet, thousands upon thousands saw the big boys every year anyway. The big boys have always been exposed.

From context, it seems that you meant to type "not" instead of "now." If this is true, then you are correct. And I, too, have been exposed to new things because of drum corps. Appalachian Spring and New World Symphony immediately jump to mind, but there's lots more. It's more in the arranging of the music. These days, even when I recognizable tune is played, it is so 'drum corpized' that it isn't very whistlable either. As some have pointed out, too many charts have drum or pit breaks every eight bars or shift from tune to variation that it doesn't really flow. So, this is what I mean, not that everything has to be Disney.

Oops! Yes, I meant "not" and I'm going to go back and fix that after I finish this reply. Also, I would have to agree about the arrangements. I guess I always assumed that when people made statements about whistling and shows they meant the music, not the arranging. But I, too, would like to hear more continuity in the horn book instead of having everything broken up all the time. I wonder, BD is famous for breaking things up with drum breaks, right? Did they start the trend, which due to their success has had a trickle-down effect?

Of the 50K at finals (being the aggragate of D2/3, quarters, semis and finals), how many are unique ticket holders? About half. How many of them went to a local and a regional as well? You can't just count ticket sales and say that's how many fans there are.

True, but I'd bet that may of the people attending local shows are, in fact, unique ticket holders. Especially considering that DCI has to space shows out about 300-400 miles, there can't be that much bleed-over. I'll concede that at regionals and finals, yes, there are many fans who have seen at least 1 show already, but even still, if half the crowd at each regional and at finals were unique ticket holders, that would easily add up to over 100k fans. So maybe it's not 500k, but it's easily over 100k.

That we will. In less then 10 years, woodwinds will be legalized and the DCI units will be marching bands. There will be no unique difference anymore.

Yeah...we've had this argument before...and I'm not getting dragged into it again (tonight)!!

I will agree, however, that it is sad that we don't even have 25 competing D1 corps. I would love to see more corps, but not just for the sake of having more. I want quality, too.

Something we can agree on! B)

Note: They = current fans and future marchers....

No argument from me, but everytime I heard "It's all about the kids" as a response to criticism I see a giant finger being flashed to anyone over 21.

Maybe because a decent percentage of the 'over 21' folks are doing the same to the current corps and members.

Mike

Oops! Yes, I meant "not" and I'm going to go back and fix that after I finish this reply. Also, I would have to agree about the arrangements. I guess I always assumed that when people made statements about whistling and shows they meant the music, not the arranging. But I, too, would like to hear more continuity in the horn book instead of having everything broken up all the time.
Watch out, we agree again?!?!?! :sshh: :doh:
I wonder, BD is famous for breaking things up with drum breaks, right? Did they start the trend, which due to their success has had a trickle-down effect?
Could be, many things work that way in drum corps.
True, but I'd bet that may of the people attending local shows are, in fact, unique ticket holders. Especially considering that DCI has to space shows out about 300-400 miles, there can't be that much bleed-over. I'll concede that at regionals and finals, yes, there are many fans who have seen at least 1 show already, but even still, if half the crowd at each regional and at finals were unique ticket holders, that would easily add up to over 100k fans. So maybe it's not 500k, but it's easily over 100k.
Still agreeing, really.
Yeah...we've had this argument before...and I'm not getting dragged into it again (tonight)!!

So, we will agree to disagree.

Boy, if we agree anymore, I might have to buy you a beer! :lol:

Shows I attend have a very nice mix of old and new.

So, how come we don't see much larger crowds. I agree that attendance has been on the rise, but at a very slow pace. That means that there almost as many leaving as coming. I think DCI can do a better job of retaining more legacy fans while adding new fans. But DCI doesn't seem to think that is a priority. That's a mistake, IMO.