Velvet Knights

Can't help it! I think these kids rock!

Here's some pictures someone named Gisch put up on flickr....I'm digging the VK look, too. It's, well, cool. I think, anyway. Different! Wish I could've worn shorts in corps on the field! Heh! (Except in Regiment, of course...that would've been completely inappropriate...and more than a little silly with those helmets...gahh).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gisch/sets/72157600508329765/

Easier to smile than frown and criticize. By the way...VK staff people were all really excited about this thing and still are. More power to them. They're going to need that excitement to clean, clean, clean, and clean this show. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a FMM and staff member for VK, I remember some other rough years, especially 1981 coming back from an inactive year. We started the season with a 35, and got a 30 at the second show. Those scores on Div I sheets are comparable to what this corps got on Div II/III sheets. The 81 VK corps (about 90% of the membership made it to 1984) made it into Div I finals three years later.

I'm not saying that this corps will duplicate that accomplishment. I'm just saying don't write them off. Give them time, encouragement, support. Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither is a drum corps.

And if the PR people are to be criticized...well, you're all talking about it, aren't you? ^0^

To my best friend Dan, the corps director, to my other friends on staff, to my soon-to-be-friends on staff and in the corps, all my best to you. Be better every day and you win.

Garry

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I think the marketing dept did their job, they got the word out and got people talking.

The problem with restarting a corps gone by is that there are a lot of expectations associated with the name, the music, the style, the look, etc. Most restarts don't seem to ever bring back the former glory, and have a lot working against them (alumni expectations can be a big one).

I am not judging whether it was a good idea or not to restart the VK name and image, but there is a lot of pressure to be good. They seem to have a solid staff, business plan, etc to bring VK back to prominence, but its obviously going to take more than one season to do so. Can they rocket back? sure... whether it will happen or not, way too early to tell.

So for right now, I am just going to support the kids who are marching with the corps and believing in the dream of bringing that corps back to the field. I wish them the best of luck and hope they can take the steps to bring VK back to the performance level of the past. I am willing to give them some time to do so though, and will support them any way I can

As a FMM and staff member for VK, I remember some other rough years, especially 1981 coming back from an inactive year. We started the season with a 35, and got a 30 at the second show. Those scores on Div I sheets are comparable to what this corps got on Div II/III sheets. The 81 VK corps (about 90% of the membership made it to 1984) made it into Div I finals three years later.

I'm not saying that this corps will duplicate that accomplishment. I'm just saying don't write them off. Give them time, encouragement, support. Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither is a drum corps.

Sounds like Westshoremen when I first joined. Our DCA placements as follows:

1973 Inactive

1974 15th out of 15 corps (Prelims was our second show that year)

1975 15th out of 19 corps

1976 11th (Only top 10 corps did DCA Finals)

1977 10th (in Finals)

And we heard the same crap from the nah sayers. "You guys used to be SO good", "Is this really worth the effort", etc, etc. <**> Step One: Get the corps on the field. Step Two: Improve on whatever happens on the field. VK has done the first step and working on the second, that's good news in my NSHO.....

Wishing VK the best and hope the members and staff stick thru the lean years. Keeping the group together is a key part of improving.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari