Mello mouthpieces

stylites

I'm looking for some suggestions for mello mouthpieces that give a darker, richer sound, but does not take away from the volume and doesn't dramatically affect the player's endurance. Basically, something that takes the edge off of the typical mello sound but can still deliver the parts. Any thoughts?

generally, a deeper cup/larger backbore will create a darker tone. i'm usually a low brass player, but on those occasions when i do play mellophone/soprano i use a bach 1b mouthpiece. a 1-1/2b has the same backbore but has a slightly smaller cup diameter.

a bach 1 is a deeper version of the 1b and in theory should sound even better. i've never tried one though....

It is my opinion that a trumpet mouthpiece should almost NEVER be used for mello. Especially if it is a french horn player that is on mello.

Being the french horn player that I am, I marched with a trumpet mouthpiece on mello for a while, it extends the upper range a little bit, and also your endurance. But, it gave me a very rhaspy and bright tone quality. I use the mello 6V mouthpiece, and I have a very good dark tone quality, and although the rim is thinner than a trumpet mp, I still have great endurance because of the french horn (thinnist rim). So to take the typical "mello" edge off of your section, I would suggest the mello 6v.

We all used to a person in PR for the 4 years I was marching Bach 3C mouthpieces. I just got into this debate this weekend at Royal Airs camp and if you control the horn the bach will serve you well. I get a better sound on my 3c than most get with a mello mouthpiece.

Ramagar

PR86-89