KAL-ZOO Review

I'm not at a drum corps event to identity what songs they're using, I'm there to view the show they've put together, regardless of what source music they've used. What I can and cannot identify doesn't bother me, because what I'm hearing is not the original anyway. Some of my favorite shows have used music that I've never heard before, but fell in love with after a corps arranged it. Sometimes I even like the drum corps arrangement better than the original.

Being upset because you couldn't name a specific piece in the middle of a show strikes me as a perfect example of missing the forest for the tree.

I didn't say that ,,,I said in an earlier post I said I could not identfy alot of music by Phantom ,,but love most of their shows ,,same with the Scouts. I really don't care if I don't know the music ,,,BUT I do care if it has a melody or SOMETHING to take back. I agree its the whole show ,,and some versions of songs are better then the original. I would just like to hear more songs that at least have some musicality to them. A decent melody !!! It would be great if there were more identifiable songs , but not a necessity. I admit I don't know half the songs ,,,pop, rock , whatever on the market today. But, ( think about this ) I do listen to those stations, and alot of time ,,, no,,,, most of the time, its the MELODY of the songs that get me singen or hummen away. I think thats what Drum Corps has lost,,,a decent melody in alot of their arrangements. No ,,not all ,,,but ALOT of them. :doh:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. I disagree, but your complaint makes more sense to me now.

Kewl ,,me too . I see both sides also. I'm not closed minded to new things ,,and like most of it,,,,till they go electric,,,,or they sing to much ,,, get woodwinds ,, electric guitars ,,, flutes ,,,,, hmmmmm , oh wait ,,,maybe that was the Black Eyed Peas concert last year. :doh:

:o :huh: How rude!

Boy I could tell you about the 80's! :worthy: If it wasn't for that "oooold era" :laugh: corps would still be marching symmetrical drill and have a standstill number.

A lot of good corps were around in the 80's, kickin' butt - Star of Indiana, Velvet Knights, Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Garfield Cadets,...perhaps you've heard of them?

Good one. By the way Pee Wee, I do like your signature with the tips on where to yell during Vanguard's show. I wish I would have read this before Stillwater's show tonight. Now I get it. Awesome total musical and visual package for SCV this year. Can't wait to see how they pan out. Wow! I have yet to see Cavies, Devils and Coats. Don't too much care to see Cadets however. Sorry to change the subject for a moment there ladies and gents. Just my 5 cents worth. ;)

Except vibraphones, glockenspiels, and crotales are metallic.

I know; I was pointing out the fallacy of using the term "xylophone" for metallic percussion. I'm not a complete idiot, you know.