Live from Bowling Green, KY

Stuart Scott - The Nastional Anthem has just been sung and we have 20 corps ready to bring the noise and bring the funk. I'm Stuart Scott here in Hilltopper country as we prepare for this masssive Drum Coprs show hosted by DCPI and the Nastalgia Music Project. I'm here with Chris Berman, and we are going to be giving our thoughts on tonights performances as they go along. Each division is represented well tonight, and the crowd should be impressed all night. We'll start the evening with Division III and Cresent Arrow.

5:13

SS: Cresent Arrow have just left the field and they gave a great performance. They've had a strong brass section thus far this season and they showed up tonight. Good blend and balance, and attention to details should land them a solid GE Music score. Percussion section seemed to be lacking at the beginning of the season, but some of that looked to have gotten cleaned up a bit. Overall good show to start the night off. Up next, The Spirit of Deerfield Beach.

5:30

SS: Awsome job from Spirit of Deerfield Beach tonight. This corps been steady all season and look to continue that trend. Very balanced performance musically from all section. They should score very well in the music captions tonight as they have all season. Some very creative things going on visually, should help with their GE Visual score. They also had a solid visual performance, but it could be overshadowed by how well the music was. Next on the field, Providence.

5:47

SS: "Muse" was the title of the program, and boy the Providence take us on a journey. Fluid visuals and a talented music ensemble really set this program off tonight. This corps has been consistent all season, and at their last contest, the GE judges must have really gotten into the show scoring extremly well in both GE captions. This could very well be the case tonight as the corps took you on an emotional journey from beginning to end. SPARTA is up next at the gate.

6:05

SS: SPARTA!!! is what the crowd was cheering after their perormance tonight. I never that Aaron Copelands music could be so popular, but they seem to love it here in Bowling Green. One of the best visual packages i've seen all night. The percussion section added it's moments of greatness into the show also. Show is very well put together, brass isn't as good as the other sections, but solid nonetheless. Coming to the field, Cape Cod Regiment.

6:22

SS: Ohh the the defending champions put on a show tonight. Cape Cod Regiment came out on fire letting the crowd know that they mean buisness. The percussion section was rocking with some really hot pit work and a good battery book. The show is well put together and i think that's why their GE scores have been so high this year. The brass section had a rough show at the last compitition, but had a better performance tonight. The home team, Nastalgia Percussion Ensemble is up next.

6:39

SS: I'll never look at math the same way again. Nastalgia Percussion Ensemble just took the crowd to school with their program, Mathamatics. The musical package expressed the complexities of the different levels of math by changing the flow and the difficulty of the music. Brass scores are stuggling a bit, but that's expected being a mainly percussion unit. However, a great package is put together and the crowd loved it. That concludes Div. III, Chris how do you think things will shake down in this division.

Chris Berman: It's going to be a tight race, but i think that Providence is going to defeat the two past champions, but scores will be within a point. I'd say Providence first, Cape Cod Regiment second, and Nastalgia Percussion Ensemble third. But scores will be tight for all the corps. Very good showing for all the Div III corps.

SS: Thanks Chris. We are on break, but when we come back. Division II, and we'll be starting with Broken Arrow.

7:12

SS: We're back, and Broken Arrow just got off the field. With having over a week off, this corps came out with a very solid performance. This corps is one of three apart of the Arrow Organization, in which all those corps are participating tonight. This corps has an admiral visual package that works well with their show. GE scores should be solid. Brass and percussion played well, but will the extended time off hurt. Only time will tell. Up next, Storm Troopers.

7:29

SS: The Storm Troopers took it to the stage tonight with their progam "Wicked" The colorguard really help bring tonight's performance tonight with great flag work and wonderful emotion. Overall the visual package was very tight. Great staging help bring out the sections that were supposed to be featured. This season the percussion section seemed to be a little behind, but you can tell through tonight's performance that the issue has been addressed. The Mauraders are up next.

7:46

SS: Very inspiring performance tonight from The Marauders. Very stron visual package for this group, which was highlighted by this corps colorguard. They added alot to the show's impact points which makes it easy to tell why they have been scoring so well in the GE Visual Caption. All of the musical sections performed well, but might have been overlooked by their stellar visual package. Overall, a very nice show for THe Marauders. Stepping to the line now, Les Blanc Chevaliers.

8:06

SS: What a classic performance by Les Blanc Chevaliers. This corps has turned the heat up as of late being rank high in Division II for most of the season. The writing between the percussion section and the brass section works extremly well together. Some of the best drill of the night also executed well. With so many components of the show working well together, no wonder they've been topping the charts in the GE captions. The Charioteers now take the field.

8:22

SS: The Charioteers showed how they do it in the Dirty South with their performance tonight. Very unique colorguard material stood out to me as they used the perfect colors to portray the music. Speaking of the music, very solid performance from the brass section. This corps has been scoring pretty even across all captions and with tonight's perfornace you can safely say that that trend will continue. The Division II home team, Nastalgia, will be on the field next.

8:46

SS: The toes were tapping tonight as Nastalgia let the audience enjoy some "Jazz By Numbers" The brass and percussion section worked great portraying the styles of each jazz piece. The visual package is difficult with the fast tempos and still needs some work to be cleaned, however, they are still getting credit. The entire program works well together and there's plenty of emotion coming out of the show to impress the GE judges. Oh great Swami, how is this one going to turn out.

CB: Well I can still feel the electricity in the audience after Nastalgia's performance and I think that they are going to take the win with Les Blanc Chevaliers and The Charioteers closely behind. Once again, I think the top 3 will be within a point of each other.

SS: Very well then, when we come back, the big boys, Division I compitition starts leading off with Imahinnykingsmen.

9:13

SS: Wow, what a coming out pary by Imahinnykingsmen. This corps made its debut in DCPI compitition tonight and showed the crowd that they are going to a corps to mess with. But don't get it twisted, this is corps are veterans in their own right, being one of the premier corps in FDCI. It looks like they made the transition from FDCI to DCPI very well as they gave a great performance tonight to start off Division I compitition. The next corps coming up, The Vigilantes.

9:29

SS: Great performance coming from The Vigilantes tonight. I was really impressed with their visual package tonight. The individual achievement of each marcher was near perfect and they really put forth alot energy from the feet. Percussion has been a little behind the rest of the corps as of late, and could be the cause of some low music ensemble scores. However, the program works will which has been impressing the GE judge. Garfield Cadets are up next.

9:48

SS: Garfield Cadets just left there impression on the field and the crowd. Colorguard was on point tonight with some very creative flag work. Brass section played beautifully during the ballad that seems to be the crowd favorite by now. The percussion section drove the bus, as they should, with a smokin' hot tenor line. However, the communication between the corps and the judges may not be all the way there yet. Now on deck, Ranger's Arrow.

10:05

SS: Well the entire Arrow Organization came to play tonight. Ranger's Arrow just gave a stellar performance. The brass section might have been the best one I've heard all night. The contra section really set the foundation for the rest of the corps to siton. Visual performance was cleverly written with some unexpected twist. Overall the corps is pretty balanced and should score well tonight. Florida Dragon Battalion is on their way.

10:22

SS: I may need a new pair of glasses. Seriously, cause some of the drill that I just seen from the Florida Dragon Battalion has got to be physically impossible to perform. Hands down, my favorite visual performance of the night. This could be hurting their execution of their musical program though. The demand of the drill is insane. However, the GE judges have loved what they've been doing and getting rewarded for it. Next on the field is The Westeners of Turner County.

10:39

SS: The Music Organization of the South came out to say that Arrow and the Nastalgia organization aren't the only ones that can have three great corps, as The Westerners of Turner County just got off the field and gave an excellent performance. The brass section continued their great success tonight with a powerful performance. There was some brilliant arranging going on in the horn book that will definetly earn them some credit. Up next, the new corps from Bowling Green, KY, Nightshade.

10:56

SS: What a great performance from a rookie corps. Looks like Bowling Green has another corps that they can cheer for. Nightshade took the crowd to an "Alternate Reality" with their performance tonight. Interesting visual concepts blended with some unique musical scoring made this show come together. Their percussion section still has some work to do to compete with the rest of the Div. I corps, but overall, very nice program for Nightshade. The last corps of the night, Nastalgia Vanguard, is preparing to take the field.

11:15

SS: Somebody pinch me so I can wake up. Nastalgia Vanguard took everybody for a ride with their progarm "Dreamscapes". Very complex show musically but it does take you on a journey through one's dream. Some brilliant and creative work by this colorguard tonight, as they have been the highlight for this corps all year. The brass section aslo gave a stellar performance tonight and seem to be kicking it into gear. So that concludes tonights compition. One last time, Swami, how do you see it shaking down.

CB: Well I really belive that the South shall rise again. In an upset of the hometown corps, The Westeners will take first followed by The Florida Dragon Battallion and then Nastalgia Vanguard. Vanguard have had some problems in visual ensemble, and i don't know if it's completly fixed yet. But from 1 through 8 i'd say at most a two point spread.

SS: Alright so there it is. Now all that's left is the scores. We'll be back with the final awards for the night. And don't miss the After Party with some of today's hottest artist providing the music. You know i'm gonna be there.

Edited by ced3905

it was great getting the play by play from the field since I am on tour with the Knights and missing a lot of Les Blanc Chevalier and Cape Cod Regiments shows! THANKS!!

yup, just got in from Europe with OVT last night, so Im a little jet lagged.

The kids know the policy: NO DRINKING! NO HAVING SEX!

What kind of drum corps do you have where no one drinks or has sex?

A very professional and mature corp. That’s what we have with the Music Organization of the South. We have a very small tolerance level and the kids know how to act. We have had to ask kids to leave because we don't tolerate it. Yes I understand we are here to have fun and share a memory together, but not with the presence of alcohol, sex and drugs.

A very professional and mature corp. That’s what we have with the Music Organization of the South. We have a very small tolerance level and the kids know how to act. We have had to ask kids to leave because we don't tolerate it. Yes I understand we are here to have fun and share a memory together, but not with the presence of alcohol, sex and drugs.

Here, here, David. Also, if a corps/organization has most of its members that are underage, then NO ONE would be allowed to drink as the older members would not be setting a good example for the younger musicians in the organization. :)