PHANTOM REGIMENT - ALLENTOWN / Take Note!

I luv you guys -- and ALL Drum Corps, but I hold a VERY SPECIAL PLACE in my heart for Regiment as they were my late Grandmother's favorite! (See Michael Boo's FANFARE Column -- "The Emotion of Drum Corps")

Regiment Pit members.... look for the red roses along the sideline as you play in Allentown. This was THE LAST PLACE my Grandmother Hele Williams ever heard/saw Regiment LIVE while she was alive.... god Rest her Soul..... I'll save a seat for you Gramma .....better yet, you can have mine! But, you'll have a much better vantage point than I will from Heaven -- just please, PLEASE don't let it rain!

I LOVE YOU GRAMMA...... I MISS NOT HAVING A 'seat partner' at DCI shows.... this one trip is especially for you !!! (and my sponsor Lee)

Was that your gramma that saw the "Claire de Lune" show? Roses on every uniform, I say! If for nothing else, just for one show!

And you're my hero either way--Bachelor of MuEd and MBA!! I'm not alone!

Go Regiment! SUTA

Aww, what a great post! Tell grandma we miss her and that if it didn't rain on the cedarburg show that would be sweet... :)

This simply is when DCP is at its best.

Thank you Trisha and thank you DCP for being here so Trisha can share her thoughts and memories.

Yep... that is MY Grando! Helen Williams, the "Claire DeLune" expert!

I am in SECTION "F" -- ROW 11 / SEAT 12 C'ome on over & see me & I'll show you just who this special woman was!

In case any are interested -- you can read (below) the original column posted on the "old" DCI site for DANFARE.

Fanfare: The Emotion of drum corps

By Michael Boo | bookmike@dci.org

Friday, March 5, 2004 - 9:13 AM

I’m warning you in advance. Some of the following stories might bring a few tears to your eyes. They are stories of the love and wonder that permeates drum corps, reminders of why we continue to do and enjoy what we have learned to love.

Trisha WiIliams-Longo, of Dickson City, Pa., is a part-time music teacher in the area as well as assistant director of music at her church. She has followed the Phantom Regiment since 1978, has done photography and other volunteer work with the corps since 1993 and has been partially sponsoring a marching member of the corps since 1996.

She begins her story with the comment, “Here is one that moved me forever."

“In 1994, I took my mother and my then 79-year-old grandmother to DCI East in 1994. My grandmother was quickly digressing into the early stages of Alzheimer’s. Phantom Regiment was playing “Clare de Lune” that year. My grandmother had always loved music, especially classical, so I took her to the show in her wheelchair.

“She enjoyed all the rest of the corps, but when Phantom entered the field in their all white uniforms she exclaimed, “Aren’t they beautiful.” This in itself was stirring, as she had not been able or willing to speak in any recognizable sense for almost three weeks prior to that. She asked me to read her what they were playing. I read her the songs, and upon mentioning “Clare de Lune,” her eyes grew wide as she again spoke perfectly, “That was a song at my wedding -- 53 years ago.”

“My mother and I were spellbound that this just came to her. As the sweet chords of Phantom Regiment playing this tune turned heavenward, the corps facing backfield, they knelt and played the final chord, which seemed to float all the way to the moon that was high above in the distance of J. Birney Crum Stadium.

“As the chord diminished, I looked over to see my grandmother with tears streaming down her cheeks, blowing kisses to the Regiment as they rose for the next piece, saying over and over, “Thank you! Thank you!” Everyone around us saw this occur and they were also moved. Some even came and hugged her afterwards. I was never moved to tears like that. All the doctors, medication and pleading and prodding didn’t evoke any emotion or response from her for almost an entire month until this moment.

“Now, nine years later, she is bedridden, almost incoherent and in the final stages of her disease, and every August, (drum corps season and her wedding anniversary), I play that tune for her on my CD player. Every time I do, I see her eyes fill up and her lips move, but there is no sound. But I know what she is saying.

“She is saying: “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”

“No. Thank you, Phantom Regiment, for touching someone who you’ll never know, my grandmother, Helen Williams, someone who will never forget all of you and the music you made that brought tears to her eyes that night.

“I will always be grateful to Phantom Regiment, and drum corps in general, for moving souls, young and old, healthy or ill, to the beauty of music.”

============================================================

Personal note: Ms. Helen E. Williams ascended into Heaven on March 15, 2005 - habving her HER favorite corps for the last time earlier that day. Now that they are back in all white uniforms, I WILL shed a tear as then enter the field and her her exclaim in my own mind:

"Aren't they BEAUTIFUL!........."[/b]

So sorry all for the typo's and mispellings -- (A) I am using a BLACKBERRY to type, and (B) pretty much overcome with emotion as I 're-read' that account of that night. And, I'm not even THERE at the stadium yet !

Again, appologies for the ill mannered typing and NOT using spell-check ! :rolleyes:

In case any are interested -- you can read (below) the original column posted on the "old" DCI site for DANFARE.

Fanfare: The Emotion of drum corps

By Michael Boo | bookmike@dci.org

Friday, March 5, 2004 - 9:13 AM

I’m warning you in advance. Some of the following stories might bring a few tears to your eyes. They are stories of the love and wonder that permeates drum corps, reminders of why we continue to do and enjoy what we have learned to love.

Trisha WiIliams-Longo, of Dickson City, Pa., is a part-time music teacher in the area as well as assistant director of music at her church. She has followed the Phantom Regiment since 1978, has done photography and other volunteer work with the corps since 1993 and has been partially sponsoring a marching member of the corps since 1996.

She begins her story with the comment, “Here is one that moved me forever."

“In 1994, I took my mother and my then 79-year-old grandmother to DCI East in 1994. My grandmother was quickly digressing into the early stages of Alzheimer’s. Phantom Regiment was playing “Clare de Lune” that year. My grandmother had always loved music, especially classical, so I took her to the show in her wheelchair.

“She enjoyed all the rest of the corps, but when Phantom entered the field in their all white uniforms she exclaimed, “Aren’t they beautiful.” This in itself was stirring, as she had not been able or willing to speak in any recognizable sense for almost three weeks prior to that. She asked me to read her what they were playing. I read her the songs, and upon mentioning “Clare de Lune,” her eyes grew wide as she again spoke perfectly, “That was a song at my wedding -- 53 years ago.”

“My mother and I were spellbound that this just came to her. As the sweet chords of Phantom Regiment playing this tune turned heavenward, the corps facing backfield, they knelt and played the final chord, which seemed to float all the way to the moon that was high above in the distance of J. Birney Crum Stadium.

“As the chord diminished, I looked over to see my grandmother with tears streaming down her cheeks, blowing kisses to the Regiment as they rose for the next piece, saying over and over, “Thank you! Thank you!” Everyone around us saw this occur and they were also moved. Some even came and hugged her afterwards. I was never moved to tears like that. All the doctors, medication and pleading and prodding didn’t evoke any emotion or response from her for almost an entire month until this moment.

“Now, nine years later, she is bedridden, almost incoherent and in the final stages of her disease, and every August, (drum corps season and her wedding anniversary), I play that tune for her on my CD player. Every time I do, I see her eyes fill up and her lips move, but there is no sound. But I know what she is saying.

“She is saying: “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”

“No. Thank you, Phantom Regiment, for touching someone who you’ll never know, my grandmother, Helen Williams, someone who will never forget all of you and the music you made that brought tears to her eyes that night.

“I will always be grateful to Phantom Regiment, and drum corps in general, for moving souls, young and old, healthy or ill, to the beauty of music.”

============================================================

Personal note: Ms. Helen E. Williams ascended into Heaven on March 15, 2005 - habving her HER favorite corps for the last time earlier that day. Now that they are back in all white uniforms, I WILL shed a tear as then enter the field and her her exclaim in my own mind:

"Aren't they BEAUTIFUL!........."[/b]

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people have been touched by the Corps of DCI. Shame on those who think DCI is a waste of time, talent, and money. If this were the only story told about how a show has touched someone....it would be enough to justify the activity. Wonderfull story!! Bless you and your family.

I get chills every time I read that story - truly moving.

...and people ask why anyone would pay to do what we do

I get chills every time I read that story - truly moving.

...and people ask why anyone would pay to do what we do

I use to get that question all the time...especially when I would describe drum corps as the NFL of marching band.