Guest Evaluator

A comment in another thread got me thinking...

Why is the concept of adjudication - this cycle of evaluation and feedback from a highly-trained professional - only limited to feedback from individuals already within the sphere of influence in the drum corps activity?

Why not create the concept of Guest Evaluators added to the panel of individuals reviewing the program?

These Guest Evaluators will not assign a score or any form of ranking. They would simply provide their impressions, thoughts, ideas and feedback.

These individuals would come from TOP professionals in all sorts of creative activities - music, dance, theatre, film, animation, visual arts, multi-media, architecture, fashion, literature... whatever.

This outside perspective could provide some extremely interesting perspectives and breathe some incredibly fresh life into the activity.

Celebrity Judges

Cut the two GE captions from 20 to 15 points. The remaining ten points will be assigned to two celebrity judges (5 points each).

Celebrity judges will be influential people in the arts, entertainment, business and political arenas. Each celebrity judge can only judge once per season, and must be seeing all competing corps for the first time (i.e. all "first reads").

Celebrity judges will give scores from 0.0 to 5.0 in 0.1 increments, with no guidance or restrictions on "numbers management" from DCI. They will be allowed to adjust their scores as the show proceeds, submitting all scores after the final performance. A celebrity judge may or may not submit comments to the corps, at their option.

Advantages:

1. Boosts DCI's visibility via exposure to influential people.

2. Parity - stirs the competitive pot, reduces slotting, generates more suspense.

3. Encourages show design for mass appeal, rather than just the DCI judging community.

love it. Would defiantly be one solution to the judges/fan appreciation problem. AND since comments, constructive criticism would be coming from professionals, it would give it some credibility (instead of coming from fans who are partially or un-educated in the activity), to what was said. Could really be the "push" needed for DCI to understand the importance of its fans.

Only problem is what the current judges would think of such a system. Or do you not see this as an issue?

As its been said many times in various threads, DCI does need to do something to attract a bigger fan base. This is a wonderful idea..... just wondering.... give me an example of who would sit on your panel of guest evaluators?

love it. Would defiantly be one solution to the judges/fan appreciation problem. AND since comments, constructive criticism would be coming from professionals, it would give it some credibility (instead of coming from fans who are partially or un-educated in the activity), to what was said. Could really be the "push" needed for DCI to understand the importance of its fans.

Only problem is what the current judges would think of such a system. Or do you not see this as an issue?

As its been said many times in various threads, DCI does need to do something to attract a bigger fan base. This is a wonderful idea..... just wondering.... give me an example of who would sit on your panel of guest evaluators?

Wynton Marsalis would be quite an interesting guest evaluator for brass.

How about The Neptunes (Pharell Willams/Chad Hugo)?

I'd be interested to see Tim Burtons ideas, or maybe someone like Danny Elfman?

There are loads and loads of possibilities. A lot of these folks also don't do things just for cash... there are a number of reasons.

Another way to spin it could be to have a Yamaha sponsored guest evaluator... where it is a performer from Yamaha's artist roster (not at all connected to drum corps).

Check out the list of Yamaha Artists.

Since you have a video crew at most shows, you also catch some of this stuff from these guys on film and use it for promo.

A comment in another thread got me thinking...

Why is the concept of adjudication - this cycle of evaluation and feedback from a highly-trained professional - only limited to feedback from individuals already within the sphere of influence in the drum corps activity?

Why not create the concept of Guest Evaluators added to the panel of individuals reviewing the program?

These Guest Evaluators will not assign a score or any form of ranking. They would simply provide their impressions, thoughts, ideas and feedback.

These individuals would come from TOP professionals in all sorts of creative activities - music, dance, theatre, film, animation, visual arts, multi-media, architecture, fashion, literature... whatever.

This outside perspective could provide some extremely interesting perspectives and breathe some incredibly fresh life into the activity.

AKA Color commentator. DCI has been doing that for year. Even before Cesario, Rita Moreno and a few others have given their views about what they saw...and was always in awe.

Edited by sburstall

Didn't DCM try that when all the major Div 1 corps left in favor of DCI planning their season? I'm not sure the local "snow-queen" would have anything to say that I'd want to hear.

Well, that's no way to get the snow queen and her minions to buy tickets to your next show. :music:

To answer your question - no. Whetever kind of "celebrity judges" DCM used was in lieu of paying regular judges, and was a cost-saving measure. The idea I proposed would be in conjunction with the full DCI panel.

I posted in the "what would you change" thing that weekday shows should include the local tour partner a judging slot. Maybe it's not worth a whole lot, maybe it's a 5 point category, whatever, but wouldn't it be a valuable PR tool? If the Mayor of the City of Podunk gets to scribble down a score, awesome. Hell, even if it doesn't count, let's do it.