DCP-I: Registration process, ease of use and corps tracking

Time after time I see requests for which corps did this, where is this corps from, who is the director of that corps. Having an initial registration with mandatory fields will eliminate these constant demands for information.

Jeff suggested in the awards thread that it is up to directors to create, update and maintain corps profiles:

Well.. you can already kind of do that now. Just use the Member Corps pages on the DCP-I site. But it is up to each director to make those...

The process of opening and maintaining these pages needs to be easier. I still haven't made one for my corps, but I intend to. here is the process form Q&A:

Those 30 corps are the only ones that created a member info page for themselves. You should be able to create your own. Click on Submit/Edit my articles, then at the top, in the drop down list, choose Member Corps Info (or something like that). Try to keep it in the same format... enter your info and hit the save button. Then I will go in, make sure everything looks ok, then publish it.

This is a convoluted process that should be much easier. There should be a separate "create a corps profile" button that will directly manage these pages. If the instructions on how to create these pages hadn't been posted in the Q&A thread, I would have never figured it out.

As far as this is concerned, I think corps registration should be through a web based form with a schedule building option that lets you just "check the boxes up to X shows" to automatically create your schedule. The process as it is now -- having to post your info on the "register here" thread, then email Jeff your schedule, plus a separate registration on the DCP-I site, is a process that I'm sure has discouraged some. Registering for a season should be a one time process - Click on a "register here" button on the main DCP-I page, enter all pertinent info in the form to fill out, including corps name, schedule, show name, where the corps is from, option to upload uniforms and detailed descriptions, which will then get sent to Jeff for approval and also serve as a corps profile. Once the season is underway, these pages can then be published by the DCP-I director to serve as corps profiles and a season record of those who participated in each DCP-I season.

These profiles, if integrated into the system, could even display the scores, placements and recaps of the shows the corps participated in as the season progresses.

Please feel free to discuss and expand on this. I know redesigning how the home page function is a time consuming task which would require the involvement of JohnD, but the league would be guaranteed an archive and we would no longer have to wonder who did what and when.

This rant went a little further than I wanted, but the rules congress isn't open yet, not that this really applies to the rules of the game anyway.

oh wow, didn't even really know about this. I had thought you guys were still using the external Form Mail that Steve was screwing around with. I have been away from this for too long :tongue:

Love your ideas and support them 100%. Not being a programmer, however, I do not know how much work would be involved to implement them.

Love your ideas and support them 100%. Not being a programmer, however, I do not know how much work would be involved to implement them.

Completely agree. I also am not a programmer so I have no idea how long it would take. It's all database kind of things I think, so it would just be making sure those work correctly. That would take a off a lot of troubles that the director deals with.

Agreed Chris with what you have suggested. Let's not take away from the great stuff John D has done already to get the Fantasy page up and all that it does (can do already). As been said it would take some programming and time spent. I feel this is still the best DC fantasy site out there or ever in the history.

I'm all for making things easier for new directors to join and for directors in general. The inital corps pages were set up for us. Then we were able to edit them later. The reason I didn't make announcement for state titles this season was because there were a number of corps that just never volunteered the information as to where there corps was from.

Agreed Chris with what you have suggested. Let's not take away from the great stuff John D has done already to get the Fantasy page up and all that it does (can do already). As been said it would take some programming and time spent. I feel this is still the best DC fantasy site out there or ever in the history.

Agreed, on all counts. DCP-I is, in my opinion, the best and most competitive fantasy corps league and website on the Net. But even the best can get better. :rock:

Edited by aNiMaL

I'm all for making things easier for new directors to join and for directors in general. The inital corps pages were set up for us. Then we were able to edit them later. The reason I didn't make announcement for state titles this season was because there were a number of corps that just never volunteered the information as to where there corps was from.

Yeah, and I think I took GA, darnit. :rock:

Yeah definitely. I know it takes a lot to make a website like this and keep it running at no cost to us. It's really a great deal for all of us.