RM's Exclusive Interview w/Clark Gardner is LIVE!

highpitch_83

THE WAIT IS OVER!

Our exclusive interview with Clark Gardner is LIVE! We cover: Star '93, the BrassTheater/Blast! experience, Teaching in the US vs. Europe, the relationship between drum corps and playing drum set and so much more! Thanks again to everyone that submitted questions (Clark answered every.single.one.) :mrgreen:

Enjoy!

Inside the Star (of Indiana): An interview with Clark Gardner

I have to say I wasn't as excited as the OP when they announce the interview, but I read the whole thing and learn a lot about those Star years. I got to seem them on the field when I marched, I flew down to Dallas in '91 and saw them warming up for finals with the DR Beat and Long Ranger and thought "wtf". Tracking was a new one as well, I guess they were first? I you have a few minutes go ahead and read the entire interview, highly recommended.

Yes, definitely a good read. I've never met Clark but really admire his character and the responses he provided.

I remember watching them in the lot at DCM prelims in '93 before they got the cream uniforms. They're weren't tracking but with the book they were playing and the met chirping along we were intrigued with what we were seeing and hearing.

Later that summer at the Mid-America show in Bloomington, we were rehearsing on one of the fields on campus, as were many other corps. We broke for lunch and decided to take a walk to find a convenience store. What we saw on our way made us stop in our tracks. Star's drumline was blocked up and literally running down the parking lot of IU stadium playing parts of Medea with Brent Montgomery chasing after them with the Long Ranger and metronome. We had never seen anything like that and quite frankly, glad we didn't have to do that. :tongue: Then again, Star got the last laugh by winning drums that year. But, we did manage to beat them on the field that night in Bloomington but tied in overall percussion. We beat Star on the field 4 times that summer and tied in overall percussion three times so those are the only victories I've had over Star. Not much but I'll take what I can get. :tongue:

Edited by Hulka

I have to say I wasn't as excited as the OP when they announce the interview, but I read the whole thing and learn a lot about those Star years. I got to seem them on the field when I marched, I flew down to Dallas in '91 and saw them warming up for finals with the DR Beat and Long Ranger and thought "wtf". Tracking was a new one as well, I guess they were first? I you have a few minutes go ahead and read the entire interview, highly recommended.

Tracking was done a long time before Star

Yes, tracking has been around a while. We always used it during rehearsal days or "death camp". I don't think I had seen tracking at a show warm-up before Star did it, I was thinking more of that type of situation. Most lines just lined up and played through the book, Star might have been the first to track as a show warm up.